Vanishing Nikon DSLR Lenses

c_watson1

Looking at the list, a few units (24-70 and 70-200mm f2.8's as two examples) have been replaced with new versions, both of which I have purchased this year. There were four or five 70-300's in production at one time so one or more versions of those going away (how many 70-300's does one brand need?) is no surprise.

That "D" series lenses (7 out of the 35) lasted up until the last three years is pretty amazing.

Not one of the lenses on that list surprises me all that much. The still-available lineup is extensive and high-quality second-hand, often virtually unused options, are endless.

It's the DX line that is really being abandoned big-time, but that title borders more on "looking for attention" to me than passing on some big "scoop"...

Edited by Greg M

Tamron has also discontinued several F-mount lenses and not introduced any new ones for a while. When third party manufacturers drop a line, the handwriting is on the wall.

Yup! Long Live the F Mount!

However, I can see why they don't want to make both F and Z mount versions of the same lens, so I wonder whether this might, just might also mean Z mount Tamron's are approaching from the wings.

Interestingly, some of the newer 3rd party manufacturers already make Z AF lenses. Maybe the likes of Sigma and Tamron are waiting to see if there are patent infringement 'issues'?

If they can do DX, they can do FX...:D

VILTROX 13mmF1.4 Z-mount Auto Focus APS-C Prime Lens with Stepless Aperture for Nikon Z-mount Mirrorless Cameras

A lot of those lenses are old versions of lenses which have been discontinued because there is a newer F mount lens (e.g. 24-70/2.8G, 50/1.4 D etc.). Some are DX consumer lenses for which there is no market any more (since the market is now mostly products for enthusiasts / pros rather than casual snappers, and Nikon discontinued the D3x00 and D5x00 series bodies). Some have been discontinued because there is a new Z lens, such as the AF-S Micro-Nikkors. There is a large supply of second hand AF-S G Micro-Nikkors that one can tap into if one needs this type of a lens for a DSLR. Personally the 60/2.8 G AF-S is one of my very favorite lenses and certainly I would not replace it with anything, but the 105 VR AF-S Micro never was one of my favorites and the 105 MC Z is a far better lens (but won't fit a DSLR, of course).
  • Like 1

Increasing sensor pixel counts have firstly revealed the inadequacy of film-era Nikkors - so no surprise that those D series lenses have been withdrawn - and secondly has revealed the shortcomings of Nikon's 'chip-down-a-pit' reflex AF system. A system that if not adjusted exactly right at the factory, the kludge of AF 'fine tune' cannot properly correct afterwards. It's also a system that severely limits the area over which AF can be done. And resorting to Live View introduces an inexplicably long delay between pressing the Go button and a review image appearing.

So the demise of the DSLR, and with it the F-mount, should really come as no surprise.

• Like 2

Interestingly, some of the newer 3rd party manufacturers already make Z AF lenses. Maybe the likes of Sigma and Tamron are waiting to see if there are patent infringement 'issues'?

Or maybe they're busy enough filling the quality-cost gap in Sony's EF-mount range.

I really don't know what goes on in corporate decision making. There seems to be a complete disconnection between consumer wants and what gets supplied. For example: the shorter/wider flange distance of a MILC would seem to cry out for a better range of T/S lenses (and it's something that phone and compact cameras just cannot do) but where are they? About 200 miles down the 'road map' and over the horizon, that's where!

T/S lenses

My 85mm T/S behaves quite well on my Z6ii. The benefits of 'permanent Live View' make focusing and manipulation of the plane of focus etc much easier with Focus Peaking.

Watching the red (in my choice) 'bits' spread over the subject as you tilt is amazingly helpful! I usually tilt to get my choice/position for DoF and shift it back into composition.... and then maybe tweek it again. :)

It's long enough to be fairly telecentric, so doesn't seem to smear at extreme S.

My pretty old 28mm 2.8 PC isn't very pretty on Z....Mind you, it wasn't too hot on F mount D850 either :(

Maybe the wider angle F Mounts could do with being redesigned for Z... not just welding on an extension tube?

Edited by mike_halliwell
  • Like 1

My pretty old 28mm 2.8 PC isn't very pretty on Z....Mind you, it wasn't too hot on F mount D850 either :(

The auto colour fringing correction in Capture One does a pretty good job of getting rid of the Red-Cyan halo.

Nice tip about using focus-peaking to get the tilt right. If only my old 5"x4" cameras had that feature! However, focus peaking isn't 100% accurate either, not on my Sony at least, and it can still be improved on by MF and viewfinder magnification. OTOH, the AF is spot on almost every time. In which case, why is the 'red mist' a bit vague?

Life's full of mystery. That's what keeps it interesting I suppose. (insert quizzical - yet jaded emoticon here)

Two of my most used lenses are on this list and I do not think they have been replaced by newer versions in F or Z mounts:

Nikon 200mm f/4 D ED-IF AF Micro

Nikon 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR AF-S

Once I got used to the lighter weight of a 70-200mm f4 vs the f2.8 version, I will find it hard to go back to getting a S lens, 70-200mm f2.8 especially at its high price.

Two of my most used lenses are on this list and I do not think they have been replaced by newer versions in F or Z mounts:

Nikon 200mm f/4 D ED-IF AF Micro

Nikon 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR AF-S

Once I got used to the lighter weight of a 70-200mm f4 vs the f2.8 version, I will find it hard to go back to getting a S lens, 70-200mm f2.8 especially at its high price.

According to Roland Vink's web site, the 70-200mm/f4 AF-S VR sold in fairly small numbers. I bought one early on as there was a package deal with the then new D750 in 2014, but I ended up not using it that much. In the Z mount, the 24-200mm super zoom is quite good optically. It is f6.3 on the long end past around 85mm, but I like it very much.

However, I can see why they don't want to make both F and Z mount versions of the same lens, so I wonder whether this might, just might also mean Z mount Tamron's are approaching from the wings.

Tamron already makes a Z-mount lens. The Nikon Z 28-75 f/2.8 is the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Di III that Tamron makes for Sony cameras with a Z-mount and rebadged Nikkor. Unfortunately, it is not the latest G2 model.

Since it was made for Nikon, Tamron did not have to reverse engineer the mount, Nikon probably provided the relevant data and perhaps even the mount itself.

I suspect that Sigma and tamron were waiting to see if the Z-mount would have a sufficient market before expending the effort and funds to reverse engineer the mount and add the tooling to manufacture it. The fact that COVID occurred just as the Z-mount was becoming established also added to the delay.

• Like 1

I am not surprised that Nikon's 70-200mm f4 was not a big seller. If you need that range, the f2. might be a better purchase even at a higher price.

The only two Z mount lenses I own right now are the 24-120mm f4 S and the 100-400mm f4.5.6 S. I doubt if I will be buying any Z mount 70-200mm S lens.

I just love the image quality and handling of the 24-120mm f4 S on my Z9.

• Like 1

The only two Z mount lenses I own right now are the 24-120mm f4 S and the 100-400mm f4.5.6 S. I doubt if I will be buying any Z mount 70-200mm S lens.

The 100-400 is certainly more useful. I have the 70-200 + TCs and I only used them once or twice shooting wild turkeys strutting in my yard. Now I am switching over to Olympus M43. (Chagrin.)

Edited by Mary Doo