Valoy II and Contrast Filters

<p>You can remove the red filter and place VC filters on the top. However, in my experience they do not lie completely flat and it's not a particularly good solution. I attached the Ilford under filter holder that came with my contrast filters to the red filter frame and then just slide the filters in. If not required the whole contraption swings out the way.</p>

<p>I just put them on top of the condensers. Mine are 6x6 cut down or 3x3 don`t remember.<br>

As long as you have the proper short neck bulb, it works fine. If you are using a ph111, it will be too close + you get uneven illumination with that bulb, filter or not.</p>

<p>Kodak used to make a tray that clipped under the lens that came in the set with their Poloycontrat filters. Problem is that does not work well if you rotate the lens to focus. A Valoy is one of the 1% made that way.</p>

<p>Thanks. We have Kodak holders but Ron identified an issue. <br />John, based on what you said 3x3 Ilford flat filters placed on top of the swing out filter arm would work. <br />Would a Valoy II be a good replacement for B-22s enlarging small format negs in a small community darkroom? I'm thinking Valoys IIs as they sell for over 50% less than a 1c which I own and love. <br />I am the single teacher at our local community darkroom. I wish to recommend the replacement of 5 beat up B-22s which leak light and have questionable alignment. The darkroom is used only for instruction vs rental. No one enlarges past 8x10. We can use one clean Bessler 23C for the rare times a student wishes to enlarge medium format negatives. </p>

<p>Richard,<br />The best solution I've found is to buy the Ilford multigrade filter under lens set (you can pick these up cheaply on Ebay etc.) and mount the under lens filter holder on to the swing out red filter frame of the Valoy II. You can then just slide the multigrade filters that came with the set into this holder as needs be.<br />I used glue to mount the under lens filter holder onto the Valoy filter frame. With my Valoy the swing out filter frame fitted nicely into the Ilford under lens holder.<br>

It sounds confusing, but with the items in front of you it's pretty straight forward.<br>

With regard to fitting out the darkroom, although I love my Valoy II, I'd look into the Meopta range of enlargers.</p>

<p>Any issues with the Valoy II? I have never used one. I understand bulbs may be hard to find. However when I bought my 1c the seller gave me a box of OSRAM 4620 110 v bulbs. <br />Valoys are small but sturdy. I prefer the Leitz condensor/neg configuration and lack of alignment issues. The build quality is much better than a B22. </p>

<p>Valloys and round ( usually black) head Focomats require the short neck bulb. You get uneven illumination with the PH111 long neck as the bulb is too close to the condenser.</p>

<p>Grey oblong head Focomats are better, but they all have issues like newton rings if you don`t get the AN filter under the condenser. Then they can be removed by anyone and they are worth as much as the enlarger. The original Focotar was made for 5x prints and 8x10 is a struggle. Later lenses are much better. I have two and love them, I just would not put them in a student darkroom. </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>With a bit of trimming it is possible to fit an Ilford under-lens filter holder to a Valoy or focomat. I have done so by carefully enlarging the plastic ring so that it can fit on the barrel of a Focotar lens, held in place by the widest part of the lens barrel. Adjusting</p>