VALE: Nadine Ohara

William Michael

<p>Nadine Ohara died quietly and gently Friday 15<sup>th</sup> February around noontime.<br>

Nadine had been ill in the latter part of 2012 and was hospitalized in mid December diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer.<br>

She was treated with Chemotherapy, with initially good results during January 2013.<br>

Sadly though, it was a fight that she could not win.<br>

The Ohara Family requested this information be not made public, until now.</p>

<p>WW</p>

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Nadine was a wonderful photographer and a very kind, enthusiastic, friendly and above all, helpful soul to all of the Photo.net community. I thanked her multiple times for all that she did here, but I somehow doubt that it was ever really enough considering all that she had brought to the site. <br /><br />One of the last projects that she worked on for the site before her health started failing was to help judge last November's wedding photo contest. Knowing now that she must have been exhausted and not feeling all that great, I remain even more impressed at all the energy she had to spare for Photo.net.<br /><br />My thoughts go out to her family and loved ones. And I hope that they can take some small measure of sunlight during a cloudy time in knowing just how much Nadine meant to those of us in this little corner of the internet.<br /><br /></p>

<p>I met Nadine on this forum several years ago.</p>

<p>A colleagueship developed between us, initially based upon our mutual love for Photography; but our chats developed wider and encompassed more - from swapping recipes to religion to family and so on, just as close friends do . . . I have been in touch with Nadine by email and telephone, for several years.</p>

<p>I have lost a very close friend.</p>

<p>Nadine’s Professionalism and Dedication to the Craft and to her Clients was of the highest order and she contributed an incredible amount of time and effort to the people who visit Photonet. The contents of her posts here are indicative of her vast knowledge and experience and also her gentle and pleasant personality.</p>

<p>Nadine Ohara, is a name which is recognized by many Photographers around the world – I mentioned that to her once, or twice: but in her humble way, I believe she thought I was kidding her: I was not.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>“In any photography I do, I strive for simplicity and honesty--to show what is in front of my lens in its most basic and true form. I also apply this concept to my dealings with people and in my product offerings. I never forget why a client is hiring me to photograph their wedding.”</strong> - Nadine Ohara</em> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>With love,<br>

William</p>

<p>I started missing her posts a while ago and wasn't sure what to make of her silence. Now I know.</p>

<p>I've learned from a lot of photographers here, most of whom I have never met. But Nadine was very, very special. Her skill, wisdom, good sense, shined in every one of her myriad posts. She was a remarkable presence here. I owe a lot of whatever little bit I have learned about wedding photography to Nadine.</p>

<p>Anyway, I am very sad to hear this news. I will miss her greatly. I will say a prayer for her and her family. </p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Although I've not posted much (if anything) over the past couple of years. I always read every single email notification I get and noticed that Nadine had been quiet the past few months.<br>

Photo.net will be a lesser place without her but I am grateful for all the wisdom she (so patiently) imparted. Not a lot of successful people are as willing to give so freely of their own knowledge like Nadine did.<br>

My thoughts and prayers are with her family, too.<br>

R</p>

<p>I feared the worst when I noticed a lack of posts from her - especially on topics where I know she would have had a strong opinion. </p>

<p>My prayers and condolences to her family and friends. </p>

<p>The world lost a good one in her. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you for letting the PN community know. I am so sorry to hear. I haven't been on here much in the past few years. Nadine is one member I will always remember for her talent and always kind ways of helping others. Sympathies to her friends and family.</p>

<p>I just heard from Josh about Nadine's passing. She graciously accepted to take responsibility for the Wedding Forum when I was up to my neck in moving and so on. I've not been back since - at least not to interfer or contribute - knowing the forum was in good hands - great hands actually. Further - I always always respected her cool head and extrodinary knowlege and her willingness to share her gems with us all. She was not only a talented and dedicated photographer but a wonderful person and a generous one as well. She will be so so missed. Bless you Nadine and your family. Mary Ball</p>

<p>Wow, that is awful news. Nadine was always very helpful and even handed on any question presented. I emailed her several times off list with lighting questions etc. and she was always extremely helpful and positive. My deepest condolences to her family loved ones and friends and to those that have worked with her on p.net for several years and got to know her better than most of us. She will be sorely missed by all of us.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nadine Said: "So I would say to someone wanting to get into wedding photography—first and foremost, keep your mind open, remain humble, and keep learning." </p>

</blockquote>

<p>She taught us so much and with such kindness and patience. Our world is a poorer place without her. My prayers are with her and with her family. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>My condolences to the family. She touched my life in ways that I use every day, from gear selection to approaches to Wedding photography. I'll think of her when I use that softar filter this weekend or pop open the parabolic for a new shot I have in mind for next week. I am sorry I never had a chance to meet her when she was just 90 miles away in SF. </p>

<p>I'm so sorry to hear this. I never met her in person, but she is one of the few people on photo.net I wish I had met. With respect to her professional / photographic collegiality, she was exactly as described by the many previous posts on this thread -- the voice of reason, kind, helpful, knowledgeable, etc. She was undoubtedly the same way in the rest of her life, and, as in her photography, tried to improve the quality of the lives of those around her.</p>

<p>My best wishes to her family. She was a true gem. We all will miss her.</p>

<p>Tom M<br>

Washington, DC</p>

<p>Oh, heavens. For the last several years, I've harbored a quiet hope that one day soon my wife and I would make it to California and I'd find some excuse to shoot with Nadine, simply because I suspect she would have been such a pleasure to talk to and work with. I'm so sad, and yet so grateful to have participated on this forum when she was active here. I hope her family knows how she touched and helped countless strangers simply because that's the sort of person she was: someone who chose to be a blessing to others. </p>

<p>A tear broke upon my keyboard just now.</p>

<p>A soft soul has passed from this world, and we all will be the poorer for it.</p>

<p>That one could become thought of as a friend, yet having never met, is a testimony to Nadine's way of being.</p>

<p>Held in heart and mind, she will live on until my days are also done.</p>

<p>Goodbye Nadine.</p>

<p>-Marc</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is no doubt she will be, and has been, missed. I know that over the past few years I have learned much from her, and have always found her advice to be helpful and constructive. I will remember her, and I can only hope that in the future, I will know know others like her.</p>

<p>Today is a sad day. The rain mirrors my feelings.</p>

<p>I am very sorry to read this news. I remember, in a thread I can't find, naming her as one of my favorite teachers on photo.net. When it was announced that she was becoming the moderator of the wedding forum, the response was enthusiastic. David Schilling said, ". . . I can't think of a better choice." There is a thread, <a href="/wedding-photography-forum/00VdWC"><strong>Thanks a million Nadine</strong></a>, whose title is worth repeating. Thanks a million Nadine. You were so good to us.</p>

<p>This is shocking. Nadine and I exchanged messages last November, as her mother had just passed away in Hawaii. And my own mother was gone a month before that. Little did I know that Nadine herself would be gone so soon, and apparently so early.</p>