Vacation to Peru - gear suggestion

deadtree02

Hello all,

Forgive any typos I have to do this from my iPhone.

My wife and I are walking up the Incan trail in august. I was wondering any suggestions for carrying my gear.

I have a 20d and will be using my tamron 24-135. I have limited funds and cannot afford a new lens. This is the first time I will go

hiking up a mountain with my camera. I wll have a day pack. I usually carry my camera in a lowepro sling bag.

Basically looking for any suggestions on how to carry any recommended bags or harness contraptions that may make life easier.

Basically any suggestions that people have for a first time hiker with a camera would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance for your help... I am volunteering at camp so may not be able to respond quickly

David

<p>Having made the day hike before, you will probably want to keep your camera handy for some breathtaking shots - the valleys down to the Urubamba River, the mountains, and some ruins along the way. Just put it on a standard strap and sling it to the side. Your more important concern will be keeping hydrated, especially on the higher parts of the trail as you wing around into the sun...don't underestimate your water needs. You'll probably stop at Winay Wayna after exiting the rainforest along the trail...catch your breath, take some photos, eat some energy snacks & drink plenty of water, you still have a ways to go. The last 20 stories of what seems like straight up climbing to get to Inti Punku seem like cruel punishment, but what a reward when you get there and can see Machu Picchu for the first time...it is still about 20 minutes from getting there, but the trail is easy. The gear you have is fine. You might even want to do a panoramic shot here and there to catch the magnificence and immensity of the scenery. Have a great trip. If you're staying in Agua Calientes, there is a hummingbird sanctuary on the edge of town worth a visit. If you have a chance in Ollaytantambo to climb the Inca fortress (before the trip begins or after you come back from the train ride) do so and use your long end of the lens to capture the Incan graineries in the mountains across the way.</p>

<p>Not a photographic recommendation - but a hiking recommendation that could definitely affect your photography experience - BE SURE TO WEAR HIKING BOOTS THAT ARE WELL BROKEN IN.<br>

If you have purchased new hiking boots for the trip, now is the time to break them in and to get comfortable with them. Many a hiking trip by novices have been ruined by foot problems.</p>

<p>You might consider a Lowepro all weather top load bag. It puts the camera in front of you and both hands are free, which could be important. Yet, you can get to it quickly. If it rains, just pull the cover over it. The only downside I've found is that my chest gets sweaty in hot weather.</p>

<p>If you have time, the market in Pisac is a wonderful photographic opportunity. Enjoy your trip!</p>

<p>I've done a lot of backpacking while carrying a SLR camera and I've found a handy way to carry the camera. I use an old external frame Kelty backpack, which is out of fashion now, having been replacd by internal frame packs. This is quite a bit bigger than a day pack but has the advantage that the weight is on your hips, not on your shoulders. I loop the camera strap over the external frame so that the camera hangs from the frame but is dangling a about eye level. Then when the bear crosses the trail ahead of you, the camera is right there where you need it. And the rest of the time it's weight is on your hips. After a few hours of hiking, that's a real plus!</p>

<p>Was up and around Inca Trail 2 years ago, lots of time in Lima too.<br>

with a 24-135, I think your set, from wide angle to portrait, while not a fan of the tamrons, I would borrow a 35mm or 50mm or even an 85 mm 1.8 from someplace (though they are cheap)-same size as the tamron basically, and much, MUCH better glass. Really if you're doing a shot of Macchu Picchu do you think someone will fault you for a 50mm focal distance? :-)?<br>

My advise is simple<br>

1. extra memory cards, you will want to shoot in RAW if you don't already, memory is cheap<br>

2. geppo case and a poncho sort of thing to protect the camera<br>

3. the 20d isn't very water resistant so if you can afford a good waterproof bag get one, if not a few ziplock bags with loads of that silicone dessicant that you find in packages strewn throughout the bottom of the ziplock to suck up an extraneous moisture. The moisture problem will be because it could get cool there in the evenings (it's winter there) and the lower temp will play havoc with your gear and the condensation-seriously get your hands on as much of that dessicant as you can find.<br>

**forgive this if you already know, the Inca trail has huge problems with deforestation from hikers and trash left by less than scrupulous hikers, please DON'T leave your plastic bags behind you**<br>

I would also consider getting a simple gorillapod or bean bag mount so you can take lots of pictures of yourself with no real extra weight, another reason for a 50mm lens!<br>

Have a blast and remember, coca tea is treated like cocaine by customs, leave it in Peru!<br>

have a blast!</p>