Vacation -Photography trip to the State of Washington

enrique_flores

<p>My wife and I will be traveling to the state of Washington. We will spend two weeks there: the last of August, the first of September. The idea is to use Seattle as a starting point and then drive East to visit North Cascades Natural Park, Lake Chelan and Mount Rainier. Then come back to Seattle and head West to visit Olympic Natural Park.<br>

Now, my question is: taking into consideration probable weather conditions in such areas, would it be better to visit Olympic NP first and then the parks in the East? What I am trying to do is reduce the likelihood of facing a lot of raining that may ruin or spoil our vacations. <br>

Perhaps it doesn't really matter.<br>

Your comments are welcome.<br>

Enrique Flores<br>

</p>

<p>Old native Washingtonian here. It probably won't matter. Although anything can happen, that time of year is normally pretty nice.<br>

I suggest the Northern part of Olympic NP: if you see Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, the Hoh rain forest and one of the Pacific beaches you have seen a good sample of the park. Take the Port Townsend ferry to Whidbey Island, go North over Deception Pass and then take the North Cascades Hwy through the park. Once on the East side go South to Lake Chelan, Yakima, and then enter Mt Rainier from the East and exit at Longmire.</p>

<p>There are NO guarantees about weather up here in the pacific northwest, not even in the middle of summer. That having been said, if you had to pick a time of year when you were least likely to see rain, the middle-end of august would be it.</p>

<p>All the stuff that you mentioned and Al suggested is good. I would especially second that drive over the N Cascades hwy. It is absolutely beautiful.</p>

<p>Unlike Al and Josh, I don't live in the area, but if as you're traveling it looks like the weather will be more than you can take, and you have some flexibility, see if you can escape to Orcas Island, which in a rain shadow, so it can be a lot nicer. You can still wind up with flat, uninteresting light, though. On a nice day on Orcas, from the top of Mt. Constitution, you can see Rainier, and the view of the islands is spectacular. That said, what makes Olympic NP so amazing grows out of the rain. If you (plural) and your equipment are well protected, it is beautiful.</p>

<p>Be prepared to fall in love....IMHO that is one of the most beautiful parts of the USA. I used to live on Bainbridge Island, across from Seattle. So, my only recommendation is to one evening just before sunset, grab a fish sandwich or bucket of fried clams or perhaps some chowder (yes, yes, I know...fried foods) and take the ferry from the waterfront over to Bainbridge, wander around, and then the trip back....great vistas both directions. If it is fairly clear, you can see Ranier to the south and Adams & Baker to the north, the Olympics to the west, Casscades to the east. AAAHHHH....sweet heaven. Next morning go down to the Pike St Market for breakfast & the wonder of a terrific market and fish tossing. Yeah, it is a tourist thing, but all your friends will want to know if you went. Oh, and yes, terrific photo-ops everywhere.</p>

<p>Similar to what Al and Josh said, it isn't well known that our summers are considered a seasonal drought. Rain is, while possible, unlikely in August. Your bigger issue in the national parks at that time will be crowds. But I don't think it makes any difference where you go first. </p>

<p>Make sure you get to the coast at Olympic NP. Sea stacks, bald eagles fishing...remarkable place.</p>

<p>I visited the Olympic NP in mid May 2011, the weather was very changeable in the 4 days we visited, but locals (Port Angeles) inform me that late summer/early autumn is the most stable weather in the NW corner. <br>

Don't miss out on Lake Quinault further down the coast, moss forests to die for although the light will be different and maybe not so damp which could be a plus............... I'll never forget my Olympic NP experience one of the best kept secrets in the Pacific North West. </p>

<p>We missed out on Rainier / St Helens etc due to the unseasonal snow falls and foul weather (rain + wind) I hope you get to see it all.......</p>

<p>Actually rain is good for lots of shots, as soon as it quits, you have better saturation of colors of whatever it touched, and having reflecting puddles, rather in the wilds or in town add a bit of spice to many shots. That's why lots of Hollywood shots, especially night ones, have the streets watered down before shooting begins...to give that sparkle.</p>

<p>There's lot of good suggestions here, and I'll echo the "must see" comments about Olympic National Park. We have rented an RV and are going to be going there ourselves mid-September. As Josh and others have noted that's the best time of year for weather, but the ideal approach, especially once you get out of the Olympic rain-shadow area is that it will rain at some point every day. Then you can be delighted about how wonderful a sunny day on the peninsula really is. </p>

<p>And I agree with Stephen, that you shouldn't be afraid of the rain. First of all, unlike some other parts of the country it doesn't usually rain all day - it's likely to be on and off showers. We used to camp from about February through to Thanksgiving when we lived in that area, and we rarely had a day where we couldn't get out and enjoy much of it. But expect some rain, dress for it, have some cover for your photo equipment and you'll do well. And there are some truly wonderful opportunities for misty and cloudy shots if you look for them.</p>

<p>Thank you very much to all of you for your comments. I knew that I was going to receive valuable information by posting my question on this forum. There is still a lot of time before my vacations begin, but I usually pay a lot of attention to the planning phase of my trips. I will keep on researching on this wonderful region of the U.S. I expect to be able to post some shots of my trip in due time.</p>

<p>Lived in Seattle for 3 years. Weather at that time is pretty nice. 1+ on the San Juan Island, take a Tele for the orcas and eagles. Also, for the tourist skyline shot of Seattle, you can try Alki beach</p>

<p>Some of the comments reminded me that to successfully photograph the rain forest you can't have sunlight - the contrast is unmanageable. A cloudy or rainy day is much preferable. Also, when it is clear and sunny inland there is often a fog bank on the Pacific coast. I've been frustrated by this many times.</p>

<p>Al:</p>

<p>You are right. Contrast between dark and light spots inside the forest would complicate photography. I have had such experiences in the past. I guess my concern with rain had more to do with broader perspectives (landscapes) and the fact that my wife and I will be driving a lot of miles and bad weather would make things more difficult.</p>

<p>Another native Washingtonian here. All good advice above, except for Stephen L's movement of Mt Adams to the North! ;-) It's South of Rainier. My only suggestion is that "if" rain is a real concern for your part of the trip out to Olympic NP, you wait till you get here, then decide whether you go West or East first. Keep in mind however that our weather guessers out here are notoriously BAD! Also, it sounds like your trip is going to include Labor Day weekend? You might very well find yourself sitting in your vehicle in one of the many LONG skinny parking lots from hell, on Friday and Monday, depending on if you decide to travel those days.</p>

<p>Hi, Doug:</p>

<p>Thank you for your comment. You have called my attention to a factor I was overlooking: Labor Day weekend. Your assumption is correct: my trip includes such dates. After taking into consideration the comments I received, I was leaning towards going west first (Aug 28). This meant I would spend LD weekend going through North Cascades NP after coming back from Olympic NP. I will see if there is a way to reduce the problem you identified.</p>

<p>You're welcome Enrique. The North Cascades Hwy (hwy 20) is probably the least traveled of the 5 cross state (through the cascade mountains) highways. Chinook pass (hwy 410) would be a close 2nd. I think, if you could do hwy 20 on that thursday preceding LD you'd be fine. Take your time and take pictures as you go. MANY things to see and do in Eastern WA besides Lake Chelan. Then time it so you go back West over Chinook Pass right into Mt. Rainier NP on either Sunday or Tuesday.</p>

<p>Highway 20 is a very nice trip in early fall, and the area around Winthrop, where the desert starts, is really quite spectacular as far as I'm concerned. I think that's a good route, Doug, although to the OP you should check out google maps (or whichever tool you use) in advance to know the mileage you'll be doing. Washington State can be a big place. If you're doing a lot of stopping, or want to get off the road and do some hikes it can make for long days.</p>

<p>One recommendation is to see if you can time it so that you can be on the aptly-named Sunrise Road on the north side of Mt Rainier for sunrise one morning. I can't remember what time we left our campsite, but it was full-on dark as it is a fair piece off highway 410 to get up around the parking areas for first light. I have photos of the mountain looking like a pink ice-cream cone, with clouds down below us in the valleys. That was a wonderful experience.</p>

<p>If you are in Port Townsend, WA, check out Ft. Worden State Park, if it's still open. The views across Admiralty Inlet toward Whidbey Island, Mt. Baker, etc., can be stunning. There's a crescent beach leading to Pt. Wilson Lighthouse. The 100-year-old Army buildings are fun, and the early-1900s gun emplacements (good views, north toward Victoria, BC, and San Juan Islands; east toward Mt. Baker and Cascades). No big guns there anymore but they have campgrounds, many old buildings, parade ground, coffee shop and a good Coast Artillery Museum. Great hikes in the forest up on Artillery Hill, as well. And excellent concerts in an old blimp hangar!</p>

<p>Doug, David, J.W.:<br>

Thanks for your comments and recommendations. Those small details like taking Hwy 20 no later than Thursday, trying to reach Sunrise road before dawn and checking the views toward North from Pt Townsend to San Juan Island are usually not included in tour guides and really help to have an exceptional trip. </p>

<p>GungaJim Downs: Yours is a reassuring comment, no doubt. Thank you. I am currently working on the specifics of my trip with Al's suggestions in mind.<br>

Actually, I am playing with the idea of deviating South from Mt. Rainier to make a quick visit to Mt. St. Helens. I have seen a video on the 30th anniversary of the eruption and the way the area is recovering seemed quite interesting to me.</p>

<p>Enrique - I actually saw Mt. St. Helens erupt while overnighting on a snowfield at 9k feet on Mt. Adams. It scared the living daylights out of me. Since then, I've made an effort to swing by that area every chance I get and watch the recovery. Unfortunately, since I am on the east coast and business doesn't take me to the PNW very often these days, it's usually about 5 years between return visits. </p>

<p>I HIGHLY <strong>HIGHLY</strong> recommend a visit to Mt. St. Helens. Don't just go to the Johnson Ridge visitor's center -- be sure to also prowl around the back roads such as the one with the miner's car & Windy Ridge: http://www.whitepassbyway.com/roadtrips/windyridgeloop.html .</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Tom:</p>

<p>Thank your for your comments and recommendation.<br>

I can just imagine what a dramatic experience yours would have been! I live in a foreign country but do remember the eruption had a very extensive news coverage here, although to be honest, one cannot grasp the magnitude of such an event without being there to really feel it.</p>

<p>By the way, I have just realized today is May 18th, another anniversary of the eruption.</p>