V1 Eye/Display Problem

bob_cook

<p>When I take my eye away from the viewfinder of my V1, it does not return to the monitor display unless I press the On/Off button to turn the camera off and then turn it back on. Otherwise, functions fine. Anyone else experience this?</p>

<p>Be sure the "Disp" button is pressed to ensure the rear monitor is in one of the two (of three) optional live view modes. The third option blacks out the rear screen so that only the eye level EVF finder is available.</p>

<p>If that doesn't work there may be some other problem.</p>

<p>To save battery power I'll often disable the rear finder and use only the EVF. I've never been bothered by the slight lag time for the proximity sensor detection to kick in and activate the EVF. And I do mostly candid photography.</p>

<p>Thanks all. Cleaning the sensor on the side of viewfinder did the trick. I always use the EVF so I'm not sure why I cared about this, but it is fixed. photo.net to the rescue again.<br>

I like this little camera. Owned it for a year and used it sparingly, but I've been using it for the past 4 weeks on a trip through the Pacific Northwest area of US. I've noticed it's a lot smaller and easier to carry than my H'blad:)</p>

<p>I'll be darned, good tip. I usually wear half-frame reading glasses now so I can see the camera, while peering over the glasses to use the viewfinder. I guess the glasses keep my face just far enough away from the EVF that the proximity sensor hasn't picked up oil from my eyelashes.</p>

<p>Good question, Harvey. I'm not seeing any way to completely disable the proximity sensor, which activates the EVF.</p>

<p>In normal operation the EVF is activated only when the sensor detects anything in close proximity. It doesn't need to be an eye or face - a finger or anything else will do. That's why I'm careful to turn the camera away from my body when I want to conserve battery life while keeping the camera turned on. Otherwise the EVF is activated by wearing the camera around the neck, or carrying it in my hand next to my waist or leg while walking. Combined with turning off the rear screen this helps conserve the battery for an entire day.</p>

<p>The proximity sensor can be a minor annoyance when I have the V1 on a tripod for video recording. Normally I'll use the rear screen for that. And I might use my left hand to shade the screen in daylight. But it's a minor annoyance if my hand strays too close to the EVF sensor and shuts off the rear screen.</p>

<p>That would be disappointing since the V1 excels in total auto P&S mode - but you'd still need to see the darned rear screen.</p>

<p>I'd like to think the proximity sensor on/off option could be resolved with a firmware upgrade but most of us who like the 1 series seem to have pretty much given up hope that Nikon will support the existing models, or properly develop the product line at all.</p>

<p>Bob: I think I found it on Ebay. You have a choice of two models, one for the camera with the 10mm lens and one with the 10-30 but the zoom is not controllable. Mine is actually branded a Polaroid. It has fit issues, so needs some shims inside to push the camera into place for button use. I think the 10mm one might be better.<br>

Lex: but if you can't see what you are getting, isn't that the true definition on P&S? Looking at your images afterwards, you might find gems and then again, maybe not.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I would just like to add that I have the same problem with my Nikon V1. Cleaning the sensor next to the viewfinder does not help. Holding the same sensor in front bright light does not help either. Turning the camera off and on again helps temporarily.</p>

<p>I would like Nikon to admit to this problem, and present a firmware where you can disable the viewfinder.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>My V1 sensor reached a point where wiping with a cleaning cloth or damp swab no longer returned the LCD to a functioning state. I tried cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, but it did not seem to work for very long either (maybe got a little worse). In desperation, I used a very tiny dab of citrus-based hand cleaner (good against skin oils) with a mild pumice abrasive (to polish surface, like a lapping compound) on a swab, then several damp swabs to wipe it dry, then an air blow off (careful - do not freeze). Sensor and LCD have been working good for over a week. Worked for me - try at your own risk.</p>