UV haze filter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by perkins, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ok my first question is, is a UV Haze filter the same as an Ultraviolet filter?

second question is, i was looking at getting a new UV filter ofr a lense im
    about to get, and the sample image they showed me showed that the image with out
    the filter was indeed less colorful then the filtered one. but also, the
    filterless image was much sharper than the one WITH the filter. now i keep a UV
    filter on my camera pretty much all the time to help protect the lense. but
    lately im notcing that my images are coming out blurry no matter what i do. i
    naturally thought i just had camera shake issues.. but now i think it may be the
    filter?

the clearest image ive ever gotten was of my hnad the day i got the camera. 2
    days later i got the UV filter and havent removed it since... what do yall thinik?

2. pvp

pvp

I think that if you believe you need to "protect" your lens with a filter, it don't make any difference what anybody else thinks, because you're going to use one anyhow.
    If you believe you're able to avoid doing dumb things to your lenses then you might try shooting without the crutch.
    And on a more serious note, have you taken a critical look at the filter? With so much pollution around us -- including outgassing from plastics and foams in camera bags -- filters can take on a hazy film. Cleaning might restore your clarity of vision.

3. Yes, UV is same as UV haze. If you use a good quality filter, for example B+W or Hoya, it is unlikely to cause much damage to the image, as long as it is clean. One benefit from using a filter to protect the lens is that you can then easily and often clean the filter without worrying about the front element. Why not try to take the same picture with and without the filter to see exactly how much it really affects your quality?

4. I use UV filters on all my lenses, and I did notice as Allan did that the filters can accumulate with time a layer of oily substances probably due to air pollution (I live in Bangkok one of the most polluted cities in the world). This is much more difficult to clean than dust and dirt, and is one of the reasons why I always keep the filters on. I wouldn't want this stuff to stick to the front elements of the lenses. However, the filter is not supposed to cause blurry pictures. The difference with and without should not be visible at normal magnifications unless it involves flare caused by bad filter coating. I advise to look for the problem elsewhere, probably it's a focusing problem.