UV Filters

dennis.g

Hi-<br>

Is there a difference between a "UV protection" filter and a "UV haze" filter?<br>

I want to get one to keep on my lens for protection, but if I can get some extra functionality from a "haze" filter, that seems like a wise

purchase.<br>

I've seen some UV "haze" filters for exactly the same price as UV "protection" filters (~$7), and some for twice as much or more.<br>

What should I get?<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

-Dennis

I've read that a UV protector filter is weaker than a UV haze filter (such as Tiffen or Nikon makes). If you are shooting digital, check your camera manual to see if using filters is recommended or not. There is a greater chance of seeing flare or ghost images in your photos when shooting digital under certain conditions.

If you are shooting with film (as I do), you might want a filter on each lens to protect the front element from dust, fingerprints, scratches, and impact damage. It's easier to clean a flat filter than a curved lens surface. Also, modern films are said not to need UV protection, so you might consider a clear filter such as Nikon makes.

This subject is open to diametrically opposed opinions (pro filter/anti-filter), so you'll have to decide for yourself how you want to proceed.

I'm sure there is roughly 2 molecules more in a UV 'haze' filter. In my experience, they're identical, to the point where I laughed when the last used camera I bought came with 'haze' and 'UV' filters. Build quality is a HUGE issue when it comes to filters in general. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so make sure to use a reputable brand..or not. There is so much debate, but I still use a halfway decent UV filter on my lenses as I have talked to enough people who have had an expensive lens saved by a cheap (relatively) piece of glass stuck to the front..

I've never been a fan of putting another piece of glass in front of my lenses except for a polarizer, but if you're using the cameras in places where the front lens my be subject to dust or sand or water, then a UV, or Haze, or 1A or Protection (?) filter is a good idea - they're all the same thing, and all do the same thing. --RIch

I don't put UV on my lens permanently, I have a non coated Canon UV Haze Filter (about $30) that I always keep in my bag incase I'm in an extreme condition (like at the beach with a lot of sea spray, or under a water fall, or at a party with a lot of alcohol involved). I think using a UV filter is like wearing protective goggles, we don't wear them permanently, we only wear them when we need to like when we work with toxic chemical. Use your lens hood at all time. Don't spend a huge amount of money on a UV filter, instead spend your money on a good Circular Polarizer Filter. Just my take on UV filter.

If you're insisting on using UV or UV Haze filter, get the good one!