Utility Belt for Photographers?

<p>Does anyone know of anything that can be used as a Photographer's utility belt? For small items like batteries, memory cards, small light modifiers, business cards, etc. Pockets just aren't cutting it anymore :) Was thinking maybe something like makeup artists use, but I'd love to hear what ideas you all have.</p>

<p>Your first stop should be <strong><a href="http://www.thinktankphoto.com/">Think Tank</a></strong>. All sorts of great camera belt systems and accessories. Quick-change lens bags, camera body holsters, thinner "skin"-style pouches for speedlights, lenses, etc. And later, when you're carrying even more gear, you can mix and match. Those same modular pieces will also work with their waist belt bags.<br /><br />Their web site shows it all off, but there's nothing like finding a shop that actually carries the stuff, so you can see it in person.</p>

<p>Do you know a good tailor? A custom sewn photo vest of cotton material might be a good idea. Putting a belt on, then adding lots of little things like batteries, may be a challenge in keeping your trousers up....</p>

<p>A vest hangs from your shoulders, making your shooting a bit easier.</p>

<p> </p>

I have 2 items. A Tamrac belt, black. Depending of the type of job I sometimes use a black photographers vest.

You can find all of these items and more at places like B&H, Adorama, and see all sorts of varieties that may fit your needs. For example I have a rolling case and bought an attachment for the side of the case to hold a tripod, monpod, and 2 light stands. Works great.

<p>A thick wide black leather bet with black pouches for camera of whatever size works good. For wedding/dress up use, you need belt loops big enough to fit the belt so you can have the proper appearance. If the things to be stored are small and light, a regular sized belt with smaller pouches will do. Once I used customized belt set-ups, I never used a bag again.</p>

<p>I too like the ThinkTank stuff. But if a vest sounds like a good idea I warmly recommend a 5.11 Tactical vest. Very reasonably priced at around $80: http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=JA295<br /><br />The quality is much better than any other photo vest I've ever seen. The 5.11 Tactical is made with law enforcement in mind and it is constructed very well indeed. Sturdy materials, great venting, very customizable with internal hidden velcro-backed pockets. Regular pockets are sturdy and the vest is really well thought out which means you can carry a lot of gear (heavy gear too!) without any problems.<br /><br />For me the only issue I have with ThinkTank and similar systems is that the belts are generally not sturdy enough. This can be easily fixed though by getting a cheap 2" to 2 1/2" "shooters" belt from places like Galls. Pretty darn cheap but very sturdy and built to last.</p>

<p>If you use a belt system for heavy gear, I suggest that you look into the harnesses to support the belt from your shoulder. <br>

Unless you have a waist that is smaller than your hips, you might find yourself pulling up your pants a lot. That is something that affects some of us as we get older. :-(</p>