<p>That should not be a problem. If they are locally connected (or even when networked), when you install the second one, it should have a different name. When you go to print, you will have a drop-down so you can select which printer you wish to use at any given time.</p>

<p>Yes, this is no problem at all. One of the printers will likely be seen as the system default, but any software you're using will allow you to choose to which printer you want a given print job to go. On my main workstation, the operating system knows about four different printers as well as about a couple pieces of software that act like virtual printers (to create PDF files, etc). When I go to print something, the dialog box that pops up gives me a chance to choose which printer I want, and how i want to use it (paper stock, color vs. b&w, speed vs. quality, and so on - including some very fussy options on the printers that do the fine art work). <br /><br />Some of my printers are tethered by a USB cable right to the computer, and others are shared over the local network by cable or by WiFi. Both Windows and the Mac OS handle multiple printers very well. You just have to pay attention when you choose to print something - the computer can't read your mind!</p>

<p>Right, Curt. That's it. The elegance of exactly how that option presents itself will depend a bit on which piece of software you're using. Your word processing software might present that differntly than your web browser, and differently than software optimzed for doing photographic printing. But all of them will allow you to select from a range of printers - whether they're directly attached to the computer or available over your network. In some cases, you can even send print jobs over the internet (I can print to my home office laser printer while using my laptop in an espresso bar a thousand miles away).<br /><br />Installing the drivers/software for a printer won't remove the software/drivers you've installed for another printer (or several others). Regardless of how many printers you've trained your computer to use, you'll have one of them that's selected as the default. That makes it easy to shoot simple print jobs to the printer you're mostly likely to use (or the one that's easiest on the ink/toner when you're just printing out a grocery list).</p>

<p>You can use as many printers as you like as long as each has a unique connection to your computer. If you have a home network, you can share a printer on one computer with another computer through that network, wired or wireless. Some printers, particularly laserjets can be connected to ethernet rather than a particular computer, and used by all. I have a $99 Brother laser printer that's connected only by a wireless link, and can be placed anywhere in the house that has an outlet and a flat surface to support it.</p>

<p>Inkjet printers, with a few exceptions, need a direct connection to a computer, from which they can be shared. These printers require a lot of data and have relatively little onboard storage. Consequently the host computer must dribble data to the printer as needed. Wireless routers can be used without a host computer, but the printing process is often extremely slow. Sharing a computer is not hard, but the host computer must be turned on for that to work.</p>

<p>Laser printers have enough internal memory that an entire document can be loaded in moments, while the printer hums away finishing the job. Mine are connected to a LAN, not any particular computer. With three users, four or five computers, various laptops and iOS devices, and four printers on line at any one time, it works pretty well.<br>

I recall the old days, using a switch that connected two or more printers to a single parallel port. There was no way to guarantee the right commands would be sent to the right printer, which often left reams of paper on the floor with a few characters on each sheet. The good old days were a PITA.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>left reams of paper on the floor with a few characters on each sheet</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Been there, cleaned up that. Yup, the good old days weren't! How about tractor feed line printers hammering away at three-part greenbar gobbling up data from ... an IBM System 36? Whew, I'm having flashbacks.</p>

<p>You can install printers using the "printers and devices" applet in the control panel. That's also a tab in the START menu. If you right-click on the printer avatar, you get a menu. Under "Properties", you can designate that the printer is to be shared, and under what name. For security, you need to permit "everyone".</p>

<p>Client computers need to install that printer, after finding it on the local network under the host computer's name.</p>

<p>Network printers (attached directly to the router/switch) are installed as "local" on each client. The search process is similar, just check the radio box for local printers. You can share a network printer, but there's no reason to do that.</p>

<p>There's a $20 program called "Fingerprint" from Collobos that lets the host computer share printers with iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch, etc) by emulating "Airprint" properties. Your iPhone will automatically recognized printers installed on the host computer, including network printers.</p>

<p>You can install printers using the "printers and devices" applet in the control panel. That's also a tab in the START menu. If you right-click on the printer avatar, you get a menu. Under "Properties", you can designate that the printer is to be shared, and under what name. For security, you need to permit "everyone".</p>

<p>Client computers need to install that printer, after finding it on the local network under the host computer's name.</p>

<p>Network printers (attached directly to the router/switch) are installed as "local" on each client. The search process is similar, just check the radio box for local printers. You can share a network printer, but there's no reason to do that.</p>

<p>There's a $20 program called "Fingerprint" from Collobos that lets the host computer share printers with iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch, etc) by emulating "Airprint" properties. Your iPhone will automatically recognized printers installed on the host computer, including network printers.</p>

<p>Old computers had one Paraller printer port (Line Printer port or LP Port or Centronix Port) and only one printer of that technology was allowed.</p>

<p>There were Parallel Printer Port swiching devices, that made possible use of many printers through one LP parallel port, one at a time.</p>

<p>The parallel print port is no longet provided on laptops, and perhaps desktops, so your question perhaps does not reach such an old techology. It is unlikely that you would have a parallel printed port on your printer or computer.</p>