Using Tripods

arthur_gottschalk

I'm working on a project that I'm very excited about. So far I've been shooting hand-held, using both medium format and 35mm, but now I see that I will need to use a tripod on occasion. The area where I'm shooting is sparsely populated, and I'm afraid that some of the locals might not be happy if I draw attention to what I'm doing by using a tripod. I'm wondering if others are reluctant to use a tripod for fear of attracting unwanted attention.

I would think that using a tripod would give you more of a purposeful, professional air that just walking around hand holding (not that I'm saying you aren't professional already). I'd be surprised if anyone asking you what you were doing didn't show interest - even give help and advice - when you explain the project to them.

I'm working on a project that I'm very excited about. So far I've been shooting hand-held, using both medium format and 35mm, but now I see that I will need to use a tripod on occasion. The area where I'm shooting is sparsely populated, and I'm afraid that some of the locals might not be happy if I draw attention to what I'm doing by using a tripod. I'm wondering if others are reluctant to use a tripod for fear of attracting unwanted attention.

I have 'solved' this issue by getting an orange hi-vis waistcoat, with 'Official Photographer' on the back. I get a lot of interest, but no criticism or aggression. I explain that I am shooting for a picture library, and some people even go out of their way to assist, by moving unattractive items such as cars, boats, children etc out of the way to improve the shot. I usually offer them a couple of free prints to say thank you - sometimes, I even send the prints !

• Like 1

I've never had a complaint nor an odd look from trees, rocks or dirt. In urban areas you can't interfere with auto or pedestrian traffic. Some areas, including Lincoln Plaza, are private property and prohibit tripods, and sometimes "professional" cameras. Tripods are forbidden in the National Mall, Washington DC. Image stabilization has nearly eliminated my use of tripods for still photography. Without image stabilization or strobes, a medium format camera might as well be a Brownie Hawkeye. If you use a tripod with consideration to others, you should be okay.

A motorized gimbal is nearly as good as a tripod for quashing large, slow motions as well as camera shake, especially for video. IS is sufficient for camera shake at slow shutter speeds for still photography. A gimbal is hand-held, so it doesn't present a traffic hazard. They're heavy, so I attach a monopod which gives me the chance to rest.

If you think an area might be dangerous, don't go there. If you must, round up a few friends with the right skills and attitudes.

The only time I had a problem with a tripod was when I tried to mount a heat seeking missile outside the Houses of Parliament.

I bet you were crowded with would-be helpers.

BTW, a stupid-seeking missile would be more appropriate.

using both medium format and 35mm

Film?

Being able to set 3200 ISO and above often trumps a tripod.

• Like 1

BTW, a stupid-seeking missile would be more appropriate.

Quail often prevail against hunters by bursting from the ground by the dozens at a distance of 5 yards. It is so startling than so many "targets" they you can fire into the midst and not hit even one. Fish find safety in schools for the same reason - it's hard to find just one target.

A "fool seeking" missile outside of any government office would have the same problem:)

• Like 2

it's hard to find just one target.

Ed- is that "herd mentality"?

Another vote for a monopod as a useful half-way step.

Tripods are invaluable, but they are heavy, awkward, and take time to set up. They are not for 'candid' photography.

A tripod, mirror lockup, and a remote release are necessary for remarkable razor-sharp focus, but high ISOs, high shutter speed, and a willingness to tolerate a certain fuzziness are also invaluable.

Tripods are invaluable, but they are heavy, awkward, and take time to set up. They are not for 'candid' photography.

Not all photography is "candid". Horses for courses. Tripods are not just for razor-sharp photos, but sharpness at the pixel level cannot be achieved without one. More important use is for consistency, applicable to portraits, group photos, landscapes and (especially) for bracketed photos and stitched panoramas.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

Using the 1/F minimum rule, 1/3F is more realistic. You're halfway to 1/500 with an 80 mm lens if you want better than 6 MP results. I have better things to do with $2 per shot than spend it on so-so results.

JDMvW: I misunderstood your post because my photographic interests are rarely in the "candid" category. Until in-body image stabilization, at least 80% of my photography used a tripod. That's much lower today, but, 100% of my video uses a tripod.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

• 3 weeks later...
I'm wondering if others are reluctant to use a tripod for fear of attracting unwanted attention.

Not really.

In do fear thieves' attention to fancy cameras and try to out only others (if at all) close to where I'll be sleeping or swimming.

IDK how you are shooting MF sneakily under folks noses. I'd suggest matching tripod and backpack size somehow so you can carry kind of concealed? Or maybe something sports bag could cut your cake, to hide the tripod?

Without knowing your environment: Most fears are kind of irrational.

The area where I'm shooting is sparsely populated
Doesn't that mean friendlier folks & more hospitality than in a crowded city full of pick pockets with drug problems?

My experience so far:

• I can't shoot swiftly enough, to go unnoticed.

• People might chat me up when I picked an odd looking camera.

I assume tripod doesn't matter. It only makes it more likely that chitchatters reach me.

I've always wanted a Hasselblad gunstock for the 500mm lens. But can you imagine what would happen if you tried to use it?

Photographers using long lenses in the Near East have been picked off by snipers.

Don't use one like this in your next politician's photo opportunity:

486015608_revolvercamera.thumb.jpeg.d605bb182f9dce9912cf0708852c92d5.jpeg