Using the Pentax K7 to shoot panoramics?

peter_schaible

<p>One of the areas I'm looking to make money in is interior VR panos for realestate, or in my case commercial business. I've shot a few to date for commercial businesses, and it's relatively easy money.</p>

<p>Generally though I do use the K-7 for outdoor panoramics, with it's high res sensor, mirror up live view mode it makes for a great camera for this, since you can get consecutive shots quite easily. The in camera lens corrections also make stitching with less complicated software painless, but for really complex or layered scenes I still use panorama factory which is essentially as complex as Photoshop in terms of panorama creators. With older Pentax DSLRs I had to wait 2 seconds between shots due to the 2 second MLU so the K-7 and now the K-5 are really great for this use.</p>

<p>For indoors I use a wide angle, I was using the Sigma 10-20mm, but since I sold it, my DA 15mm is now the lens of choice (by default).</p>

<p>Outdoors, I prefer something between 28-90mm, typically I use my FA 43mm Limited, if it's a tight space I might use the 21mm, and if it's a distant landscape (cityscape, etc) I will use my Vogtlander 90mm.</p>

<p>The last pano I have put together was this guy! This is the very small version of it! Shooting outdoors requires fairly windless days, and unfortunately plans are frequently scuttled. Though I do have about 6 more that need processing and assembly.</p>

<p><a title="Lake Placid Ski Jump and High Peaks Wilderness by Mountain Visions, on Flickr" href=" Lake Placid Ski Jump and High Peaks Wilderness src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4767629076_a4a46bde7a_o.jpg" alt="Lake Placid Ski Jump and High Peaks Wilderness" width="3000" height="310" /></a><br>

I'm pretty sure this was shot with the Sigma 70-300 at about 100mm, which was the only telephoto I had with me that weekend. I shot this at the last minute when the day before I noticed the flowers in the foreground. </p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I don't have any images one here that I can show you right now but I use the following equipment and method to shoot my panoramic landscape images with the K7 and I get great results.</p>

<p>- pentax 40mm f2.8 pancake prime lens: has little to no distortion and an excellent screw on hood that prevents lens flare very well which is great for assisting seemless stitches. Its also very affordable and a great walk around lens thats not intimidating to other people.</p>

<p>- tripod with head that allows easy panning. I shoot 50% overlaps on images in vertical format usually. This overlap with a balanced tripod again gives seamless stitches. The vertical fromat provided a wider angle of view, and a larger final resolution.</p>

<p>- then I stitch with photoshop cs5. Then I crop to clean up the edging and finalise the image to a ratio 1:3, 1:4, or even 1:5 sometimes if quite a vista allows for printing. Size(length) always dependent on the subject naturally. (there is probably a lot of stitching / panorama programs available now)</p>

<p>I use the same system when using my K20D.</p>

<p>Cheers, Marty</p>

<p>Justin and Marty,<br>

Thanks for weighing in on this.<br>

I'm shooting HDR panos and using Photomatix and PTgui. I hope to do some VR panos when I can afford a fisheye lens.<br>

I think the K7 is perfect for me. Rugged, lightweight, and more features than I could ever hope to use and master. Justin, your long review of the K7 is excellent and confirms my choice of this camera. Thank you.<br>

Please post more panos and I'll do the same when I have something worth sharing,<br>

Best,<br>

-- Peter</p>

<p>Around here the meth addicts are very sharp technologically.</p>

<p>They're using realtor's virtual tours in combination with Google Earth to locates the big TV sets and other easily-fenced goodies and then to survey neighborhoods, back yards etc for easiest break-ins and escapes. </p>