Using skylight filter on B&W film

^but black and white film's sensitivity to UV light makes using a UV filter or skylight

filter (which is just a stronger, slightly tinted UV filter to bring out warmer tones)

necessary when shooting outdoors. If you are going to buy a UV filter, keep in mind

that a lens is only as good as the glass you put in front of it, so don't cheap out. A

multi-coated filter and a lens hood should prevent most flare.

Well, you've gotten the full gamut of answers here. I'll just say that the skylight filter will cost you a bit more light than a UVa--perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 stop. Outdoors in bright light that's probably not an issue. The skylight will absorb UV, so it will do in a pinch. I try to have both available for each lens.

Thanks for all comments. I have a Leica M 21mm f/2.8, and it seems like the

glass attracts dust very easily. I do not use UV or skylight filters or any type of

filter to protect my wide angle lenses. In fact all my Leica M lenses do not

have filter for protection. I just do not want to take the risk with this expensive

lens with high frequency of cleaning, etc.. and I came across B+W skylight

MRC filter in a local shop.

I think I will buy the skylight filter and try it out. Again thanks for your

feedbacks.

There have been decades of testing on the effects of filters on sharpness....there is no effect with decent quality glass.

UV cuts UV. Surprise! That means you get more contrast at high altitudes and more detail in snow. It "cuts haze."

Yellow filters make sky darker. Surprise! Photogs used yellow filters all the time in "the old days," before lenses were coated.

Yellow filters were commonly used on ancient Leicas, Rolleis, and on the incredibly good f2 lens of Kodak's Bantam Special (a better quality camera and lens than any Zeiss or Voigtlander of the era).

There may be no utility for yellow filters if you're scanning, but UV filters are great ways to preserve the lens and increase sharpness in glare situations...unless one is very careless with grime they don't affect resolution, and if one IS very careless with grime he should certainly use a filter to protect his front element from his carelessness.