Using SB600 in M-mode in a D90

cc_chang2

<p>I set the flash to iTTL mode and on the camera, FP is off, and the ISO is manually set to 400. From what I understand, when the camera is set to M-mode, I can select a combination of shutter speed (up to 1/200) and aperture, and the camera will alter flash output to give the correct exposure. Indeed the exposure is close to perfect each time. However what confuses me is when I look in the VF and see that the exposure meter indicates underexposure. Why is it? Is it because the meter is given me the exposure without taking into consideration that the flash will provide the correct light levels? </p>

<p>with flash in TTL, you're likely get correct (to a degree) exposure. If you're using omnibouce, then boost EV on the camera to +2/3, or +1. If you're shooting outdoors on a sunny day with gorgeous sky, I'd recommended having FP ON and shoot at higher sync speeds with the flash - David Ziser (google him) talks about shooting at above camera's sync speed. Also learn to use your flash in manual, it'll save your battery and will recycle faster. :)<br>

Adam</p>