buy. I've looked at the Olympus E-PL1 and it looks very<br>

nice , small and light just like the OM/2. </p>

<p>I've read that using the older Zuiko lenses doesn't preserve<br>

the original focal length of the lenses. From what I hear<br>

its about a 2:1 ... a 50mm Zuiko will be like a 100mm on the E-PL1.</p>

<p>Is this focal length change specific to 4/3 digital cameras ? Or<br>

would this also be the case when using the Zuiko lenses on other<br>

digital cameras or SLR's like the Canon Rebel XS etc. ? </p>

<p>The focal length of lenses do not change. The focal length is a physical property of a lens.</p>

<p>What changes is the field of view. The 4/3rds and m4/3rds sensor size give you a field of view of 2x that of the focal length. A 14mm lens on a E-PL1 will provide the same field of view as a 28mm lens would on a camera with either a full-frame digital sensor or 35mm film.</p>

<p>I use two Zuiko 35mm format lenses on my DSLR via an adapter: a 50mm and a 400mm. The 50mm (with its 100mm [35mm equivalent] field of view) makes a great protrait lens; the 400mm (800mm equivalent field of view) is a fine bird-watching, etc., lens and you oughta see it with a 2x extender...you can really reach out and touch someone! I also sometimes use a Nikon 35mm shift lens, but with its 70mm equivalent field of view, its usefullness is limited on the DSLR.</p>

<p>To expand on what Rob has said-</p>

<p>Any 4/3 sensor camera will multiply the effective length of your lens by 2x because the sensor is 2x smaller than that of a full frame sensor. 50mm becomes 100mm effective. To expand further, your ability to blur backgrounds is modified in a certain sense. A 50mm f/2 lens, will produce similar results to a 100mm f/4 lens on full frame. Everything multiplied nicely by 2x.</p>

<p>If you purchase a Canon APS-C sensor body, such as the XS, you will be getting a multiplication factor of 1.6x. Nikon APS-C (DX), 1.5x</p>

<p>Thanks for the info ! I should have used the term 'effective focal length' change,<br>

because I always refer to 50mm as 1x .......but this explanation does help a lot.</p>

<p>I'm leaning towards getting the Olympus E-PL1 but would like to explore other options<br>

with an optical viewfinder. Any suggestions ? </p>

<p>I looked at a few full frame sensor SLR's but they are way out of my price<br>

range.</p>

• 3 weeks later...