Using Moose Filter With B&W Film?

coneected

<p>Would using a "Moose Filter" with Black and White film improve or impede tonal quality? I will be shooting film outdoors at different times like early morning, midafternoon, and early sunset. I have seen the difference using color film, and wonder if the same effects will happen with blacck and white film.</p>

<p>There's nothing wrong with using a polarizer with B&W film. It will reduce reflections and improve contrast, just as it does with color film. The warming aspect of the Moose filter will have a very subtle, possibly not noticeable effect on your B&W tones. If you like the effect, go for it.</p>

<p>I'd expect essentially no noticeable effect of the warming part of the "moose", but as said, the polarizer will darken the sky at the correct angle to the sun and reduce reflections, just as it does on color film.</p>

<p>Why bother using this for black & white photography. It will do nothing for you whatsoever except act as a 2 stop neutral density filter, unless you are specifically photographing a subject with reflections. If it's the sky or tones you are concerned about, use a yellow, orange or red filter. Those do affect the grey tones in the final picture. A polarizer is more likely to affect contrast adversely than to have any positive effect.</p>