Using M lenses on R5

alex z f

Greetings. I have not posted here in years. Hope everyone is well.

I just acquired a mint R5 and a Vario Elmar 35-70 f3.5. I also have a Summicron 50 f2.0 and a Summicron 35 f2.0 for my Leica M6TTL, both early 2000 versions. Can I use these M mounts with my R5?

I have seen M to R adapters for sale in the ‘net.can these work? Both M lenses are early 2000s.

Thanks

Edited by alex z f

... I just acquired a mint R5 and a Vario Elmar 35-70 f3.5. I also have a Summicron 50 f2.0 and a Summicron 35 f2.0 for my Leica M6TTL, both early 2000 versions. Can I use these M mounts with my R5?

I have seen M to R adapters for sale in the ‘net.can these work? Both M lenses are early 2000s. ...

Short answer: No.

You can find R to M adapters (adapting Leica R lenses to M cameras), but I have never seen an M to R adapter. Leica M lenses will not focus properly without the proper rear-element distance from the film plane, which cannot be achieved with M lenses on an R body (the mirror in the film chamber prohibits this).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Chris, are you talking a Super Angulon-M 21mm f3.4? That'll fit an M3 on it's own, no adapter needed and should work very well as it's supposed to/designed to. Obviously, you'll need a 21mm external finder to approximate the field you view being recorded Edited by Greg M