Using Liveview with a Flash...

dan_spellman

<p>Howdy,</p>

<p>So I have been doing some macros in poorly lit areas, so that I can freeze the motion with a flash. Sometimes its a little hard to see through the small viewfinder since its so dim, but when I use liveview, its completely black because the camera doesnt realise Im using a flash (its using the settings I have dialed in to presume the picture is going to be black).<br>

How can I have the camera 'disregard' the settings I have (exposure and ap) so that I can actually see something in Liveview?</p>

<p>cheers,<br>

dan</p>

<p>You didn't say which camera you are using, but, I assume it is a Canon DSLR since you posted your question here, in the EOS forum. I use a 40D.</p>

<p>There are many different things you can do, but, I don't believe you can make the camera disregard your exposure settings.</p>

<p>I use one of two methods:</p>

<p>1. I have a "focusing light" which is a work-light that I bought at a hardware store. It has a metal reflector and I put a 150 Watt "Daylight" florescent bulb in it. It is a very inexpensive, but, effective light. I shine this light on my subject while I focus in Live View. Normally, I turn-off the "focusing light", and move it away from the set-up (so I won't get any unwanted reflections from the metal reflector) before I make the shot. However, I sometimes use this light for "fill".</p>

<p>2. Where I can't use the "focusing light", I increase ISO or reduce shutter speed (or both if necessary) until the image is bright on the LCD. I do not change the aperture because I focus in stop-down mode (I depress and hold the DOF button while I focus). If you use this method, don't forget to reset your ISO and/or shutter speed before you take the shot.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Here is a recent picture that I shot using one of the above methods.</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p><div>00VaYY-213371584.jpg.ee9c7913c3dbe334c4c8b0ff46727151.jpg</div>

<p>I should also mention the following:</p>

<p>- at least on my 40D, disabling the Live View Exposure Simulation (CFn IV-7 on 40D) will not give you a usable, Live View image below a certain ambient light level.</p>

<p>- if you are trying to get close-up images of moving targets (bugs etc) using flash, Live View, IMO, is not useful. The slow Live View auto-focus and relatively long LCD blackouts (during auto-focus and during shutter actuation) make Live View impractical for moving targets. Live View works best for me when the camera/lens is support by a tripod or other stable support (in fact I never use Live View, with my DSLR hand-held).</p>

<p>- when shooting in Live View, the camera is locked into Evaluative Metering Mode (at least on my 40D) no matter what you have otherwise set. So, if you don't want to use Eval mode for some reason, don't use Live View.</p>

<p>Maybe Canon has addressed these problems with newer DSLRs (50D, 7D, 5D II and 1Dxx).</p>

<p>I guess (haven't tried it) you could use a video light mounted on a bracket (wired to an external battery?).</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>