Using lens aperture ring with D300

Sanford

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fully aware that (1) there are plenty of "lazy" folks who don't bother to check the user's manual or do a quick internet search, and (2) worse yet, some so called trolls ask simple questions on purpose on forums to waste everybody's time for fun. Clearly there is a fine line between a legitimate question and one that isn't. If you feel that a question doesn't deserve your time to answer, please just don't answer it. If I feel that it is (2), I may lock the thread or even ban the person who asks the question.

Since Sanford is a regular here, I do feel that this is a valid question. It is easy to miss some fine print even though one takes the time to scan through the manual. In my case although I had a D300 in hand and I knew that the setting is one of the Custom Settings, it still took me a minute or two to locate it. I went to Custom Setting Group F "Controls" but couldn't find it initially, and then I went to Group C and finally back to F and located f7.

On other Nikon DSLR bodies that have the aperture follower tab, including all FX bodies, this control should also be in Custom Setting group F, although it is not necessarily f7.

On other Nikon DSLR bodies that have the aperture follower tab, including all FX bodies, this control should also be in Custom Setting group F, although it is not necessarily f7.

It'll be f4 on a D500 - and I doubt anyone would find that one on a first pass through the menu. And f9 on the D810 - just to keep things interesting.

Thanks guys-I'm glad to see this thread.

I was looking for the setting the other day on my D800, and couldn't find it in a half dozen trips through the menus. I just hadn't dug out the manual yet.

It's a convenience thing for me since I mostly shoot in aperture priority or manual, and use my aperture ring lenses on cameras that require you to set the aperture this way.

I'll look again this evening. Since Dieter said it's f9 on the D810, I hope it's somewhere close on the D800 :)

Going to "F" then to "Controls" then to "Customize Command Dials", then to "Aperture Settings" which must be turned to "Off" to get the aperture ring to work is not all that intuitive.

You have a point. It would be better if there were a switch near the lens mount to toggle aperture control, like there is for AF/MF.

At first, I thought perhaps Nikon could design the firmware to automatically switch to ring control whenever the ring was not set to the minimum aperture. But then I realized that, in this case, there would be no way to set the aperture to minimum using the ring! Thus the need for another control.

At first, I thought perhaps Nikon could design the firmware to automatically switch to ring control whenever the ring was not set to the minimum aperture. But then I realized that, in this case, there would be no way to set the aperture to minimum using the ring! Thus the need for another control.

At least the Canon FD mount and the Minolta mount(not sure what version-I'm not well acquainted with it) have an "A" setting on the aperture ring. On Canon lenses, you have to press a button both to switch TO and FROM the setting. Also, it's interesting to me that it was part of the original 1973 specs of the FD system even though at the time it wasn't used. The "A" setting, which is just past the smallest aperture, is essentially equivalent except that it causes a small pin to project from the lens mount to signal to the camera that the lens is set there. On a camera like an FTb, it's actually impossible to set the lens to A because of this pin-the F-1 that was released at the same time has a dummy hole there since there was a shutter priority finder.

In any case, I suppose it might have been possible to have the minimum aperture lock on Nikon lenses electrically signal the camera, although as far as I know this is just a "dumb" switch that keeps the ring from turning. AFAIK, the F mount has no way of know if the lens is set to minimum aperture unless it either has a follower tab or a minimum aperture switch. Cameras like the D3400 can't even meter with lenses with aperture rings(and, yes, I tried that in the local camera store not too long ago after reading about it on here) because they've eliminated the minimum aperture switch completely.

I'll add two last thoughts-cameras like the FA and FG(I think we can add the FG-20, N2000, and N2020 to the list) that can do shutter priority and/or full program with non-CPU lenses are a pain since there is no long and you can randomly get an FEE error if you bump the ring. It's not a big deal if you know what it is, but still it's there. The only AI-P lens I have is the 45mm f/2.8, but it can also be a pain since it doesn't have a minimum aperture lock and the lens is so small that the aperture ring is incredibly easy to inadvertently turn.

Sanford - dare I ask why you want to do this? It does give you more accuracy for time lapse shooting, and I suppose if you're used to it on other lenses then fair enough, but I value my ability to set the aperture from the camera, and will still passive-aggressively mention that I've no idea why AI-S lenses couldn't do the same. I do concede that on my 50mm lenses, my left hand isn't typically 6" away from the aperture ring, as it is with some of my glass.

Where would I start on a D4? Problem I have here is no manuals for most of my cameras, one of them in a language I can't read. I'd prefer to set aperture on the lens and most of mine have aperture rings. After many years of trying to get used to command dials they still are not intuitive to me and are a distraction.

Rick H.

Where would I start on a D4? Problem I have here is no manuals for most of my cameras, one of them in a language I can't read. I'd prefer to set aperture on the lens and most of mine have aperture rings. After many years of trying to get used to command dials they still are not intuitive to me and are a distraction.

It's under custom f10, "Customize Command Dials" (the "Aperture Setting" section). Page 336 of the manual I have downloaded, for what it's worth.

Fair enough, Sanford. Enjoy! Some day I'll pick up another old Nikon film body, and no doubt have trouble with it. I'm still a bit miffed that I carefully trained myself away from the Canon direction for the meter direction when I got my D700 and F5, and then Nikon changed their default to agree with Canon (I think in the D800 generation).

DPReview always used to be good at this - indeed, they're a good demonstration of why having access to this kind of thing is interesting to a potential purchaser. As cameras have become more complex, they've stopped covering the menu system, which is why I've downloaded the manual for every recent camera I've bought before purchase, looking for gotchas.

But the manuals certainly aren't all that brilliant for finding things sometimes, and the in-camera help system isn't much better (on the new ones with a touch screen, you could search for a feature... just saying). Things like the aperture dial behaviour aren't very well named, which doesn't help when it comes to hunting for them in a manual. I still have some difficulty trying to work out which items are going to be in the photo shooting menu, which ones are under custom functions, and which are under camera setup. If there's logic to it, it's not obvious to me. I'll happily add "sorting out the menu system" to my willingness to volunteer rewriting Nikon's firmware for them to add all the features I want. :-)

Pretty much all Nikon DSLR manuals can be downloaded in PDF format, especially if you would like to read it in English.

As I mentioned before, the aperture setting options between the sub-command dial and the aperture ring (when available) is in Custom Setting Group F, Controls. The exact setting varies a bit from model to model. Look for Customize Command Dials and then the option for Aperture Setting. The image below shows a D750, on which it is f5. On the OP's D300 it is f7, etc.

CustomSettingControls_6086.jpg.a98cfb57c4037b0f04c88bfadfc85fc8.jpg