Using Kentmere 100 Film to Test Cameras and Lenses.

I have a couple dozen Nikon film cameras, and I'd like to run some exposure/sharpness tests with them (finally!) using assorted Nikkor zoom lenses. I figure Kentmere 100 film would be suitable since it's cheaper than T-Max 100 and I'll be taking about 800 photos in controlled conditions.

Kentmere 100 is said to have high sharpness, which I expect is true.

Does anyone have any helpful hints about using this film?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I've done something similar, but I've just manually cut strips of film off in a changing bag and loading it into the camera.. just to see for any light leaks/shutter issues. It's way cheaper than to use full rolls of film.

I have exhausted half of 100 ft bulk. The whole bulk cost 35$, it was expired in mid-2016 and kept in the fridge since I have acquired it last year. I don't have much to say, except it's probably the cheapest 35 mm BW film (after Fomapan) and it's Harman's production, so it's "almost Ilford". Here are two shots, both taken with Olympus OM-4, 50 mm f/1.8 lens (later issue) two months ago.

This was shot at f/1.8 or 2.8, can't recall :(

5aKDvdp.jpg

And this was shot at f/8, it's fairly sharp, but grainy as well:

IpKo0eH.jpg

That film was developed at my local lab, they use Ilford chemicals (I think it's ID-11). No other info though.

Hello everyone. I believe you will find the Kentmere 100 material an excellent choice. I have been using it for the last 5 years or so & get negatives that show a very good range thru shadow & high lite values. My developer choice is primarily Obsidian Aqua (OA)44457899_2k18-027-041ces10bc4x6.jpg.15c458f282b25bea22505171f5f58191.jpg or Pyrocat HD and the grain is the better of any other 100asa tried over the last 40 years or so. A film called Ultrafine Xtreme is sold thru Ebay in both 35mm and 120. All my work with it yields the same results, so I always refer to the UFX as "rebadged Kentmere". Cost of UFX are "usually" within 10% of the Kentmere material, both 100 & 400 asa. The ability of using the "same" emulsion in 35 or 120 is a factor in using both these products vrs "other" brands. Aloha, Bill Fed-2 / Jupiter-8, Kentmere 100 @ 80asa, OA, V600 scan.
  • Like 1

Some people on some forums say that UFX is not entirely Kentmere - some batches are while others are not. I can't vouch for that, however. As for the grain, Acros 100 has little to no grain at all. I've heard Tmax 100 is that way too. Sadly they are pricy and Acros is gonna be out of production by the end of the year.

I have used quite several b&w films over the past few years and although Kentmere is cheap I find this film very low contrast.

Personnally I prefer using the same film for any circumstances.

In terms of price, I find 35mm fomapan 100 & 400 very satisfactory.

I've gotten through most of a 100' roll of the Kentmere 100 and I do find it sharp. The contrast and sharpness remind me of Plus-X, although I found Plus-X to have finer grain. I use HC110 for processing.

It's amazing. My favorite film is Kodak 125 Plus-X (and I keep in my fridge 2 bricks of them), so I had compared both films (kentmere and plus-x) and I don't share your opinion regarding kentmere.