Using Infrared Film in Mamiya C330

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by lee_shively, Apr 2, 2004.

1. I just bought a few rolls of Macophot 820 "Aura" infrared film to be
    used in my Mamiya C330. It is recommended that this film be loaded
    in complete darkness. The C330 loading procedure is to align the
    arrow on the paper backing with the red dots on the film guide rails
    prior to closing the back. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to
    be sure the film is correctly aligned if loading is done in the
    dark?

2. I'm not familiar with Macophot, but that's why I get the Konica Infrared for 120. Can load in subdued light. I suppose you can load it under a light source that gives off no infrared. Fluorescent maybe?

3. The film is probably sensitive to some visible light so a non-infra-red source might well cause fogging.

4. If you are sure (I cant confirm) any light will fog film, or at leats the edges, you might have to take a mental note next time you load with NON-infrared: How many cranks/turns to get the arrow aligned? I used Rollei TLR´s. From experience, best to turn a little too far, as opposed to not enough. There is usually extra film at the end of the 12 images, but precious little at the beginning of the roll.

5. I've loaded that film in a C330 in less than total darkness (room light) and had no fogging at all. Give it a try.

6. It can be (un)loaded in light, the edges will easily be fogged but in my experience not up to the image area. Subdued light will do just fine (I've unloaded outdoors, during summer - no problem.)