Using flash drives

scott_brooks1

Other than using flash drives to back up Quicken and business files, I've never

tried to use one for editing purposes.

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro for some video editing and hopefully editing

photos as well. I don't really want to lug around a hard drive and flash drives

can hold quite a bit these days.

Is there any real downside to copying my files to a flash drive and then editing

them on the road with my MBP? (Other than the fact that I could lose one.)

Thanks

Here I have a 128Meg flash drive that cost over 128 bucks when new. Its has been thru the washing machine twice; lost once in the yard. I have had it for about 4 years or more. The entire case is all worn due to keys and coins in the pocket; and an assult by a mower too. Older usb flash drives are capped at usb 1; about 0.8 to 0.9 megs per second; newer usb class 2 flash drives of mine vary from 3 to 8 megs per second in transfer speed. One usb flash drive we found in the Katrina rubble was rinsed over and over in fresh water to remove the salt; and then all its contents were removed. Its the same 128m Lexar that went thru the washer; it had a streamer; ie a piece of survey flagging attached to it that helped us find it. It was on a dresser drawer; and was found in a neighbors yard outside the house.

Why not use a Firewire hard drive, there is no powercord and it's much faster than a flash drive... try Lacie's all terrain Rugged - its only 100$ and you could put a wedding on it- transfer to your macbook- then resave the edits- or work directly from the drive......

Gene B wrote: "yes that's true, you can only write and erase about 100,000 times..."

Which is a lot when you're just flicking files back and forth - however - it's a totally different board game to use it to edit off when the system will contantly be re-writing certain areas like those containing the allocation tables. It's possible to generate over 100,000 writes on a hard drive in under a minute - and we're talking about using a flash drive as a hard drive ...

What about the Lacie 'Rugged' Hard Drives? they are small, powered off the USB and made to be used a lot harder than you would use a regular HD. No they aren't waterproof but as many have said, those drives are SLOW and editing off them would be a nightmare. Hell even working off external USB 2 drives is glacial compared to a regular HD plugged into the motherboard.

Ben wrote: " Hell even working off external USB 2 drives is glacial compared to a regular HD plugged into the motherboard."

It shouldn't be, unless you're only running a USB v1.1 port - v2.0 can move 480mb/s (ball-park figures, 50 Megabytes per second) - we use them for client backups and routinely write about 1GB per minute (assuming we're talking about 3.5" 7200 RPM units, not 2.5" 3600 RPM "Laptop" hard disk drives).