Using DPP to maximise dynamic range

robert_clark

<p>It is my understanding that highlight recovery is best performed by the raw converter. In this case, DPP would not be the first choice as it doesn't have a highlight recovery feature. For properly exposed images, DPP does a great job. I've read that DPP clips the white point at a certain level, which would probably be a problem for highlight recovery (of over exposed images). I've read that Lightroom/ACR and Dxo raw converters have the highlight recovery feature but I haven't used these software programs.</p>

<p>I use ACR. In general I move the dark tones toward the left side of the histogram and the light tones toward the right side during conversion, but while being careful not to blow out the lightest tones or block the dark tones.<br>

ACR does have a highlight recovery feature, so I generally do apply it during RAW conversion.<br>

Dan</p>

<p>If you're working with a single exposure, you can do 2 or more conversions, each optimized for a certainly range and selectively blend in PS layers.</p>

<p>Say you want to increase clarity of lower mids and shadows. Increase digital exposure compensation (brightness slider in DPP) until they look good. Don't worry about clipping the HLs--let they blow. Convert to TIFF. Return the brightness slider to normal and optimize the HLs to taste. Convert to TIFF. Now selectively blend the 2 conversions in PS layers. You can use the mask tool or even simply erase the blown HLs in the optimized lower mids and shadows layer. Use the mask tool or erase the mids and lows in the HL optimized layer. Now blend the two and you have extended dynamic range.</p>

<p>Of course you only wanna go to all this trouble for problematic images. Most simply need a levels tweak.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Keith,<br />Having the option to recovery highlights is certainly a nice feature, but I prefer to get the right exposure when the image is captured. Highlight recovery is not perfect - please see any DSLR review at the Dpreview website for details. Thanks.</p>

<p>HL recovery is a different animal than processing to maximize dynamic range. My method in DPP/PS is great if you only need to open up shadows and mids without blowing HLs. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I'm with Pup.<br>

I normaly expose twice in DPP and blend in Photoshop.<br>

"Getting the exposure right the first time" is all relative.<br>

For example, I took a shot yesterday where someone was seated in the mall with the entrance of the mall and strong sunlight in the background. You can expose properly for skin tones but not for the backlit sky in the background.<br>

By exposing twice in DPP and using layer masks in CS2, I was able to get the result I wanted.<br>

Even with highlight recovery and using curves in Camera RAW the result in my experience is much poorer, at least in very contrasty scenes.</p>

<p>As pointed out by Greg Tan's high contrast lighting example, proper exposure of the subject (the person) will result in blowing out the highlights - the DSLR can capture only about 9 stops. Thanks, Greg. Highlight recovery will try to salvage the image for a more natural appearance - I send my apologies to Keith Reeder.<br>

As interesting as it sounds, I am not completely sold on the 'positive compensation' RAW processing w/blending technique that was suggested earlier. Raising the quarter tone and midtone brightness levels will also increase noise. Usually, I just let the (non important) highlights blow out if camera DR is exceeded.</p>