Using digital GEM on slides and whatnot = SLOW!

I have a Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro. I'm operating the thing with my

very beefy computer 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, 800MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache, etc. Now, I find

that my computer (or scanner) is 100% incapable of handling GEM. I can select a

1cm by 1cm spot (on the screen, not neg) - equating to maybe 1/30 the diamter

of the 645 frame, and tell it to use GEM when scanning.

It will 'scan' for maybe 20 minutes without showing anything on the progress

bar.

I can't imagine how long it would take to scan the full frame. A couple years

maybe?

Is this normal?

Hi George. I have a DSMP as well, and a similar PC setup. GEM runs very slowly on my system when scanning the 1cm x 1cm selected area. After it completes that task, however, the rest of the scan job proceeds at a rather normal pace. The progress bar does indeed increment during the GEM pre-scan phase. Regards.

Then make sure you go into your antivirus settings and ensure that your antivirus is ignoring your scanning soft-ware. If it does not have that option, then get some decent anti-virus software. One free (for home use) option is:

http://www.free-av.com/

This anti-virus application just scans files without all the extra garbage that often breaks things and causes severe slowdowns. Some (unnamed) that cost too much money do way too much and break things when they run. For instance, one should never have to disable anti-virus protection while installing software. Instead, one's anti-spyware software should ask you to approve system (registry) changes during the installation.

Or, if you are very set on keeping your anti-virus software, then unplug your network/modem cable, run a full anti-virus scan (a spyware scan would be wise too), and then disable your anti-virus software and see if that helps performance.

This may not be the answer, but it can cause issues.

enjoy,

Sean