Using canon fd 50mm 1.8 lense with canon rebel

josh_smith2

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the canon fd 50mm

1.8 lense with my canon rebel 2000 if I only used manual focus. If

not what would be a good low budget alternative below 150 dollars.

Mainly I need something good for low light photography without using

a flash with good sharpness/contrast.

Hi Josh,

The EF 50 1.8 II is $80 brand new at your favourite camera store and is listed for even less used on the buy/sell forum. The EF 50 1.8 I (better construction, metal mount, distance scale) would also be less than $150 but generally goes for a bit more than II if you can find one.

I believe both these lenses offer auto and manual focus.

Doug

<i>"The FD 50/1.8 won't fit the rebel and can't be made to do so"</i><p>Actually, it <i>can</i> be made to fit an EOS body via an adpapter, <i>it just isn't worth doing.</i><p>Because of the depth of the FD mount, an adapter would be rather thick, meaning<br>(A) it would need to have its own optics in order to maintain infinity focus;<br>or<br>(B) in the case of an adapter without optics,

it will act like a little extension tube (causing loss of infinity focus), useful for macro/closeups only.<p>The bottom line is that the adapters either degrade the image because of the low quality optics in them, or cause a loss of infinity focus.<p>Like Doug says, just get a Canon "EF 50mm 1.8 II" for less than $80 brand new. With outstanding optical quality and a low price, it's Canon's single best value!

I second the idea of the M42 adapter, fast SMC lenses are very cheap. You could get the adapter, and several great lenses for $150. If you can get used to the manual functions/ exposure compensation etc., they work great on several of my EOS bodies, as well as my spotmatic, practika and other older cams.

I believe there is an FD/Eos Adapter, But as others said, the 50 1.8 EF will be much more cost effective, and WAY more functional, as well as optically superior IMO. You could probably get two new ones for $150.