success?

Thanks.

Alex

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Do you think either of these uses are ethical?"

Generally not. The role of a wildlife photographer should be as an unobtrusive observer, and not cause changes in animal behavior. I use the word 'generally' because on rare occasions I might use a verbal call (similar to bird watcher's spishing) to try to get a better look at a bird, but that's as far as it goes and on most days I don't even do that. The use of manufactured calls, recordings, excessive verbal call, etc is out of bounds in my book. -Greg-

I don't think it's any worse than using bait or any other kind of attractant UNDER PROPER CIRCUMSTANCES. The main thing is to know the critter and it's habits, and to avoid harrassing it. The odd call once or twice oustide of breeding season doesn't bother most things, just arouses their curiosity. Speaking of seasons, make sure you're not using some kind of game call during hunting season. And be careful you know what's around before you start attracting things, I had read of a biologist who was watching a grizzly digging up mouse nests in a field, and when it went to amble away he made a couple of mouse squeaky noises. The bear came charging back a lot closer than he wanted, fortunately without dire consequences, but taught him a quick lesson in hungry predator response. Just like anything else, use your common sense.
  • Like 1

Depends. It you ocassionally use short call or two to attract bird visiting your garden and see male appearing, it won't cause great harm and may even give him a sense of pride in chasing off an "intruder". However if you use calls for extended time or regularly, it disturbs birds normal life cycle, ease of finding each other and causes them to waste energy that they need for hunting or to support their young.

Reminds me of a story from years ago when many tourists used to come to Mahogany Hammock at Everglades and play call for Barred Owl (which otherwise takes effort and a little of luck to find there). One of the owls finally got so enraged that she flew down and hit unsuspecting tourist hard causing apparently enough damage to his head he suied Everglades NP for owl's improper behavior.

• Like 1

I don't see how it's any less ethical than using a camo blind for example. It's not like you're calling the animal to club it over the head. I've never used calls but I think I'd sleep OK if I got some nice shots because I did. Just my .02 cents.

Like Bob said, check the laws first

If the animal is fairly near, and you just want to get it a little closer, and you don't do it on a regular basis, i.e., to establish a new pattern of behavior for that animal, I think it's ok

To me all depends on what is a purpose for making calls. It has been done very often by some researchers to help collect data. I can justify that. Making calls to take a snapshot or even 'bird on the stick' type pic is a pure waste of energy on both ends.

I'd say unethical. Anything that stresses an animal or habituates a large animal to humans is unethical and harmful. Hiding in a blind is OK, since if the blind is effective, you have no influence on the animal. Baiting animals is also unethical (and often illegal), with the exception of feeding birds.

It's tough to justify feeding birds and not feeding, say racoons, other than the fact that baiting mammals generally leads to habituation and eventual harm. Feeding birds generally seems not to harm them and often seems to help them. The further away from humans most mammals are, the safer they are.

I live on a lakefront and occasionally use calls. I use a wounded rabbit call to attract predators such as owls, etc., and a crow call to bring in the crows.

These animals are already here. This is their home. I'm just trying to nudge them into a better position. It works.

I'm not interested in debating ethics. Harrassment? Tell that to the crows who holler all morning and the owls who hoot in the evening.

"a wounded rabbit call to attract predators such as owls"

That would be a good example of audibly baiting an animal and wasting its time and energy. Could be a mother with dependent young or a bird that simply needs a successful hunt for sustenance. It surely has better things to do than chase down false alarms. There comes a point when a person needs to ask themself what is the goal of their photography. -Greg-

It depends very much on the person using it and his intentions. I sometimes use birdsongs on a little MP3 player to attract a male bird's attention. I use it when inside a big hide when a bird is close. Just before breeding season when the males are establishing their territory, the sound often makes them come out of the reeds shortly, investigating their "opponent" and sit perfectly for a photograph. Of course you should play such a sound just once or twice and not all morning. The birds aren't stressed by this at all. In fact I have had birds fly into the hide when not playing any sounds. Some even breed in the hide.

Long time ago in South Africa I learned a trick to get little songbirds to show themselves. If you mimmick the sound of a Pearl-spotted Owl (which is quite easy) in front of a thick bush, the little somg birds come out. This owl sometimes raids their nests and when they see one, they try to chase it away together. It worked great. And I was thought this trick by a park ranger!

"a wounded rabbit call to attract predators such as owls"

Reminds me of the joke: : How do you attract a buzzard? With the sound of a dead rabbit. :-)

regards,

Hans

I just wonder how people who like to use animal?s calls to get a snap would react if for an example marketing firms keep calling them. During nap, dinner, reading book, when taking or working on photos, lovemaking :). We do not own wild animals or their time....

I grew up on a farm and we didn't have a TV. I was out in the woods all the time with the wildlife instead. I still live in a fairly rural area and daily encounter wildlife. I also have some college biology background to go with this nearly continuous 40+ year wildlife experience. IMO, it doesn't "stress" animals at all to use calls. They react to these same sounds every day. It's part of their world and they are extremely well adapted to it. Animals are NOT the fragile little things that many who didn't grow up around them think they are. Something like an occasional call is not going to bother them in the least. The only exception I might make is a mother with very small young. With them it's best to be as unobtrusive as possible. Really, just being a photographer walking about in the woods is going to cause more "stress" on a critter than a silly call will.

I have been using animal calls of one sort or another for over three decades. Ducks calls, varmint calls, deer grunts, turkey calls, and more when I go hunting. In my experience, a call can do three things: (1) actually bring an animal in (2) cause one to stop and look (3) cause one to sound off so you can locatet them. Calls do have a "learning curve" to them. If done wrong, at the wrong time of year, or too frequently the message to the critter is "you better run! I have used calls for photo'ing the mammals you listed and they are somewhat useful. Keep in mind though that you are likely to only get one shot. When the critter hears the camera click and spots you, it will be gone. It will also be much wiser the next time you're out with your call and probably not come. This is especially true for coyotes and fox.

Do be careful and aware of what you are doing. There is a documented case of a turkey hunter in my state who was using a turkey call to bring in a flock of turkeys. It was working great, but suddenly they panicked and flew off. He was puzzled since he was sure they hadn't spotted him. He then heard a bird fly off behind him, and turned to look. He discovered a half grown mountain lion was behind him, looking for the turkey! Coyotes don't hurt people, but if you live in an area like South Dakota that has bigger predators, use some caution. Also, during rut season, keep in mind there are some very large animals with big long horns that are in a bad mood, and hearing the grunt of a rival will only piss them off more. Be on your toes.

Kent in SD

<P>There is nothing personal; neither have I tried to direct my response to Kent post. It is used because it shows to me how different is animals' world for hunters from mine point of view. Also some people who never study animals, usually to excuse their own actions, using very limited information (usually misinformation) often given to them by some false authority. Not every teacher is good and knowledgeable; same apply, even more, to rangers in parks. </P>

<P>.....<I>I grew up on a farm and we didn't have a TV. I was out in the woods all the time with the wildlife instead</I.....</P></I>

<P>Well, I grew up in a big city and have TV but rarely watched as I had no time to do it. Last time I remember to turn on TV recently was September 11, 2001 to see news. For many years it is a thing collecting dust in my living room. For many years in the past I was involved in animals' behavior studies along with other subjects.</P>

<I><P>....I also have some college biology background to go with this nearly continuous 40+ year wildlife experience....</P></I>

<P>I do have a degree in biology and about the same field experience with wildlife.</P>

<I><P>.....IMO, it doesn't "stress" animals at all to use calls. They react to these same sounds every day. It's part of their world and they are extremely well adapted to it. Animals are NOT the fragile little things that many who didn't grow up around them think they are....</P></I>

<P>There is plenty of research done to proof that calls cost a stress. If somebody does not want to read more about it is quite logical that every action required energy which can be used for something better then 'pose' for photographer. Yes animals are not that fragile but we humans are changing or taking their habitats away from them. And that put a lot of extra stress on them. Again if we want right to privacy animals has that right too even if they can survive harassing calls from strangers.</P>

<I><P>.....I have been using animal calls of one sort or another for over three decades. Ducks calls, varmint calls, deer grunts, turkey calls, and more when I go hunting....</P></I>

<P>I think I better do not write my opinion about hunting and this is not a subject of original thread as well.</P>

<P>Two advices I would like to pass to nature photographer. If you like to photograph ?everything? do it waiting for wildlife which comes to you. But if you are interested in special species read everything that was ever written about it first. Then go and do observation by yourself. Usually you will never need to use calls and your satisfaction of seeing things nobody ever seen and photograph before will be much, much greater then taking snapshot of baited animal. Pic with no special value to justify its cost.</P>

<P>Just for the end.</P>

<I><P>....Keep in mind though that you are likely to only get one shot.....</P></I>

<P>This is true and again shows how much time and energy can be wasted to get one snapshot nobody never will learn nothing from it.</P>

People routinely bother other people (in many annoying ways), and animals bother other animals, why is it such a big deal if people bother an animal a little by making a little sound. Come on guys, I bet driving that SUV from your home to your photography site kills more polar bears in Canada than a little call. The real ways in which humans affect adversely other animal species is not through direct interaction, but through the effects our way of life has on them. You can try to block this thought from your brain and think that you're causing no harm by having the animal walk to you on its own, and ignore what else is going on in order to get you to the photo site, get those laptops and digital cameras you use manufactured and all the emissions from these processes. But that just means you're very, very naive.

....why is it such a big deal if people bother an animal a little by making a little sound....

You have to start somewhere if you want to stop so many species disappearing daily from our planet in the front of your eyes. The smallest reason you start with the better results you will get. But so many people stay blind.... I do not know who is naﶥ here but for sure many are misinformed.

Mark--

I actually enjoy the type of honest debate you are providing and certainly don't take any offense from it. I can tell you are a sincere person rather than an idealogue. I'll keep things very specific to this thread. The critters the original posters mentioned are common ones (deer, fox etc.) in North America. Since he didn't say anything about more "exotic" animals more likely found out in wilderness areas (e.g. wolves,) I'm assuming he's talking about going out into rural farmland areas typically found just outside of town. The animals found there are at least semi-habituated to people as they interact with them constantly. I'm thinking of combines and chisel plows working next to white tail deer bedding areas, foxes that have their den about 150 yards from a chicken house, and so on. Not only are these animals pretty used to people (although wary!), they also tend to be VERY well fed. The animals that are commonly found in farmland areas are common because they thrive on the food and conditions found in these regions. Only in the worst of winters are they at all stressed, and that's only in the Northernmost regions at that. Add to this that someone simply out walking around taking photos is going to cause a fair amount of disturbance, even if inadvertent. All I'm saying is that put into perspective, someone out blowing a turkey call one weekend a month isn't going to bother this population at all.

Now for the more practical stuff the original poster was after. Animal calls can make a critter stop and look for the source, and you can get a shot off if you are quick. They can also bring animals in at certain times of the year and under certain conditions. For example, three months ago (April) you could sit in the woods and hit a turkey call (hen) and have a fair chance of bringing in a magnificient strutting gobbler. Do it now and they will ignore you, or even run off. Most calls are highly seasonal like that, and you need to have some understanding of the critter in the first place. I have used calls a few times to photo critters, but mostly I don't. As I mentioned earlier, when you use a call you attract attention--but only briefly. Eventually the animal finds you and figures it out. What I prefer to do is use my knowledge of where/when to find critters. For example, I know of some alfalfa fields that are magnets for deer. If I wanted some nice deer photos I could simply go find a spot down wind from that, sit quietly in camo, and take photos until it got dark. For fox, I know of some fields they love to hunt mice in. With coyotes there are some great prairie dog towns that if I sit around long enough, coyotes will show up. Shots of them chasing P-dogs can be great, too. I can take quite a few photos rather than just one doing that. So, I do think that calls have their place in special circumstances. They can't really take the place of knowledge of the critter and habitat though. From a deer's POV, a person would look pretty silly blowing a estrous call right now, not in the breeding season. A more philosophical thought I have is that many people are looking for that piece of gear that will give them "instant/easy success." I'm not sure it exists. To get really good, you pretty much have to put your time in sitting by the prairie dog town or the turkey strutting meadow waiting for things to happen. Make sense?

Kent in SD