Using cable release (or bulb release) for all shutter speeds

adh_wjc

<p>When using a cable or air release is it only possible to use this in bulb mode? The guy at the camera shop today told me that all cable and bulb releases are totally manual, that the shutter opens until you release the bulb, every time and always. I was under the impression you could use a cable release to trigger faster timed shutter speeds, ya know, 1/30 or 1/15 or whatever. Or even just use a longer air release (~10ft) to snap a self-portrait at even a fast shutter speed.</p>

<p>Which is correct? I am thinking of getting longer air release for my Leica MP (and Rolleiflex TLR) but not if they're only usable in bulb mode.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>From experience, <em>you've</em> got it right. Air or cable releases are fine at any speed! The shutter will stay open only at "T" or "B" settings. Pneumatic releases are not so suitable for long "B" exposures as they lose pressure due to little air leakages in the system, releasing the shutter. Better to use a locking cable release, in this situation, or the "T" setting if you have one.</p>

<p>Cool, thanks Rick.</p>

<p>I've got a locking cable release for Bulb exposures but wanted a longer cord, pneumatic release e.g., for taking self-portraits etc. I guess I'll go back and pick one up. I had a feeling I was correct but didn't want to waste $25 if I was wrong. Thanks for clarifying, Rick.</p>

<p>I often use the cable release for lower shutter speeds on a tripod. It doesn't make a big difference but it makes some. It's also very handy if you're aimed closely at something like a bird's nest, and want to time your shot based on events (e.g. the bird coming in for a landing) which occur outside the frame.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>The guy at the camera shop ...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>... apparently is clueless about the shutter release mechanism on cameras, mechanical or electronic. :)</p>

<p>Doesn't matter how you release the shutter, whether with a quick touch of the finger, continuous finger pressure, a pneumatic release, or a cable release. If you select 1/1000 or 1/2 sec, that's how long the shutter will stay open, even if the shutter release is held down continuously.</p>

<p>Just make sure you have single shot mode selected on motor driven cameras. Can't tell you how many times my wired electronic release has accidentally locked on me with the camera set to continuous advance, resulting in half a dozen shots fired off instead of the intended single frame. :)</p>