Using an SB800 wireless

Discussion in 'Lighting Equipment' started by dominicbyrne, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hi
    This may be a stupid question but it's bugging me so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!
    I am using an SB800 flash and use it remotely with the pop up flash on my D200 acting as the trigger.
    Is it possible to adjust the power of the flash as once it's in remote mode the only control that seems to work on the flash unit is the zoom function and I cannot access the mode to adjust the power?
    If I use the on camera flash +/- button it seems to have some effect of power but the range is pretty limited and it doesn't give me the options I would get if I used the flash in manual mode.
    What am I doing wrong? I guess I am missing something obvious!
    Many thanks

2. When using SB-800, SB-900, SB-600 or SB-R200 flashes as remotes, the power or EV compensation must be set at the commander. When using the pop-up flash on a D200 as commander to control the remote speedlight, you must adjust flash settings using the camera's menu.

3. Thank you for the reply - I expected it to be on-flash rather than the camera but that should make life easier!

4. Having checked the flash settings using the camera menu it appears that I only get 3 stops to play with - there doesn't appear to be the option to reduce the power to 1/64th or 1/128th.
    Is that correct or am I missing something?

Thanks

5. Not sure what menu you are in, but for manual power level of a remote flash, you want to be in the COMMANDER menu, D200 manual page 163-164. It goes down to 1/128 power, in 1/3 stops.
    There is another camera menu for the internal flash in MANUAL mode. This is NOT about commander/remote mode, but the D200 also goes down to 1/128 power there.
    Here is a Nikon Quick setup sheet for Commander/Remote flash.
    http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/FastTrack_To_WirelessSpeedlights.pdf

6. Wayne - thank you.
    I was looking at the flash compensation rather than the menu where I set it up as a commander.
    All sorted and thank you all so much
    Dominic