Using A Teleconverter On Nikkor 300 f/4.5 ED-IF AIS Lens

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Vincent Peri, Apr 2, 2021.

1. You sure about that? I wouldn't be able to see a hawk at that distance. The EXIF data say 133.35m, which is about 404 ft. Not sure though how accurate Nikon is with the focus distance reporting. This one is with the 500PF/TC-14EIII combo at about 40m/120ft. I have a few that are farther away - but the EXIF doesn't report the distance anymore for those. 2021-03-06-D5C-57205 copy.jpg
    This hawk is about 60m/180ft distant using just the 500PF - I wouldn't attempt to shoot anything beyond that.
    2021-03-28-D5C-58756 copy.jpg
    Just for comparison - this oil platform is about 2 miles out; D500 with 500PF:

2021-01-15-D5C-51319 copy.jpg

Albin''s images and bgelfand like this.
  2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Out here, you see a bird in bare branches against the sky, nothing in my software reports distance. I don't wear glasses, and my distance vision is rather good. Lets just say, too damn far for most affordable prime lenses that can be hand held. When you live in wide open rural areas there are equivalent distances that are can be seen as traveled. A guesstimate certainly. I got that and many other decent photos under circumstances where an ethical person would go no closer.

3. Some teleconverters have been made matched to specific telephotos. These often work very well. I found the Nikkor TC-1-to produce very little loss of quality with the Nikkor Reflex 500mm mirror lens, as Keppler himself suggested in one of his columns at the time Modern Photography 1976-11

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:24 AM
  4. You could try exiftool: ExifTool by Phil Harvey
    Not the most comfortable to use (there's a GUI interface available though) - but sometimes quite handy to have.
    I do wear glasses - but you are right, I too can spot a hawk half a mile away against the sky - I just would not attempt to get a shot at that distance:)

5. Vivitar used to sell those, along with the appropriate lens.

They know exactly how big the image circle can be, and so don't need to design
    lenses larger than necessary.

6. Sandy, do you use Lightroom? If so the Show Focus Points plugin will show distance (at least the distance reported by the lens/camera in the EXIF data)

Link: www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com

7. Looking at some JPEG files in Preview (the OS X program) it looks like Nikon cameras report "focus distance" but Canon cameras don't.

Also, as is well known, Nikon reports shutter count but Canon doesn't.

8. Cents? Two perhaps?
    Irrelevant comparisons perhaps?
    Allow me...
    See below: European Robin only 1,5 months ago. D800 with 400/3.5 + TC301 and a little extension, on somewhat wobbly Sirui baseplate on rather sturdy Sirui ballhead and very sturdy old Gitzo 500-series clunker (weakest-link and such...)..
    [​IMG]

9. Cute shot!

Exposure details?

Albin''s images likes this.
  10. Thanks! ISO1000 1/200sec@f/5.6 at about 3 meters distance.. manual focus, obviously.

...That particular bird is now probably back on it's way to Scandinavia now! (Denmark..Sweden..Norway..):)

mike_halliwell likes this.
  11. Sorry to be pedantic, but how do you get an aperture of f/5.6 with an f/3.5 lens fitted with a 2x teleconverter?
    Do you mean f/11?

12. Do the TCs change the data passed through to the computer in the camera, so it knows the real aperture?

13. Yup. EXIF should ID everything correctly.

However, if you only work in manual it doesn't matter.