Using a grip.

djolk

<p>I've been considering buying the d7000's battery grip. I've looked at my photos and most of them are vertical shots, despite the fact that I find the camera a bit awkward to hold in this orientation. Its hard to hit the AE-L button for one thing, and more importantly I don't feel like I am holding the camera as securely.</p>

<p>So, in the experience of others, has using a grip improved camera handling, especially when held vertically?</p>

<p>Another, related question, I use my left eye to look through the viewfinder, and find it quite awkward to use my right, however it would seem to me that by learning to use my right eye I would be able to use the AE-L button a bit easier. Any thoughts on this?<br>

Thanks guys.</p>

<p>It has for me. I don't have a D7000, I'm using a D5100, but adding the grip has significantly eased my use in shooting vertically. I shoot with the left eye, but there's no AE-L button on my grip, so I can't speak on that. I can't even see using the camera anymore without the grip. There are quite a few <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Camera+Model+Compatibility_Nikon+D7000&ci=10044&N=4288586266+4138043927">grips for the 7000</a>. If you don't want to kick out $200 for the Nikon version, try a cheap one to see if it's what you want. Or go to a camera store if you can, and see if they will let you hold one.</p>

<p>Hi Daniel, <br>

I have vertical-grips on every Nikon I own. The one for the D7000 is really well made compared to older grips. <br>

The only time I remove the grip is for shooting with live-view from the bottom („frog-perspective”).</p>

<p>I bought the Zeikos grip which I highly recommend. I use it when I have my 70-200 on camera for added stability. I bought a Bower grip and returned it ..as connectiveity was skechy...the light came on and off ..so returned it. The Zeikos has a af/afl button in vertical so nice for making shoots .</p>

<p>Thanks guys. I'll probably go with the nikon grip, which unfortunately costs 300 dollars in Canada and I bet it doesn't come with a battery either! At least, Henrys sells it for that much and the shipping from the US just kills me. Especially if I get hit with duty.</p>

<p>I have a d7000 with the Nikon grip. I have used large camera bodies all my life and I can tell you that the d7000 is a somewhat small camera. The grip gives stability in either the horizontal or vertical position. The feel is simply more solid.<br>

I use the 17-55 2.8 a lot and the grip makes life much easier.<br>

I have never used grips made by anyone other than Nikon so I am of no help when it comes to third party units. <br>

-O</p>

<p>After reading a LOT of reviews on grips I personally went with the Nikon grip for my D7000 and my D700. The grip for the D7000 is great at equalizing or distributing the weight of lenses...i.e. 24-70 for me. I am a woman yes.. I am small.. however I also have some limited use of my hands and have found I just couldn't stabilize the D7000 with my longer lenses without the grip (well not as well as I can with the grip). I find it is WELL worth the money for the Nikon !</p>

<p>Dont have the d7000, but I too shoot predominantly portrait orientation, probably 70-80%, and find a d700 grip gives a solid, elbows tucked in position, much more comfortable than the flying elbow especially for long periods like 8-10. On my camera, it can give extra burst speed as well. It increases the camera/lens weight, but it is definitely worth it to me. </p>

<p>I have a D7000 and bought a battery grip from day one and have loved shooting with it every minute, even after a year I only take the battery grip off to take the LCD protector and clean under it (its very difficult to get off without the grip on). Its worth every penny, when I consider buying a body, for me its just part of the cost.</p>

<p>Although with the new D800 and its $400+ battery grip, I may have to consider a knock off.</p>

<p>I always buy the battery grip with every Nikon camera I own.<br /> Personally, I find it useful when shooting with large lenses, specially for portrait oriented shots. <br /> Another consideration is the convenience of having the battery grip to use AA sized batteries. It also provides higher power for faster operation.<br /> Other than this, I prefer a naked, less bulkier, lighter body; battery grips use to be amongst my less used accessories.<br /> -<br /> About the L-type bracket, I prefer to have the bracket directly attached to the camera (mostly because is the configuation I use more often). Attached to the battery grip seems to me a not too rigid combination... although it could be rigid enough, maybe.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip regarding B and H. I usually skip them after once paying 60 dollars + duty to ship a filter. Its often quite expensive to get things shipped here, I live in the Yukon, but this time B and H are totally reasonable. And much cheaper then Henrys.</p>

<p>Dan, I have one thought. I do not own a D7000 and can't comment on it's grip but I do have a D200 and added the Nikon MB-D200 grip to it. I love it for the better feel, extra shutter release and command dials but I have found that with tripod shooting, I am better off attaching the camera directly to the quick release plate and not the grip. There is some movement between the grip and the camera when everything is locked down that affects sharpness. Those with D7000s and grips can comment on the security of the connection between the body and the grip but for longer exposures, it wouldn't surprise me if better shots were achieved without the grip attached. </p>

<p>The MB-D200 is a plastic grip on the D200's magnesium body but it is my understanding that the MB-D11 grip is metal. That alone would be a great improvement over what I have. For me, the feel with the grip attached is much improved over the body alone. My vote... buy the Nikon MB-D11 over an aftermarket.</p>

<p>Daniel,<br>

I've had battery grips (or motor drives back in the day) on all my cameras. If I don't use one, my hand cramps up after a while. I shoot a D7000 currently, and the MB-D11 also has a little joystick on it so that you still have navigation controls at your fingertips (thumbertip?). Buy it, slap it on, and never look back.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The MB-D10 for D700 and MB-D11 for D7000 are much better made than the older grips for the D100/D200 (better stability, better surface feel). <br>

I've never used an aftermarket-grip but would be surprised if they were made as well as the late Nikon-grips.</p>

<p>Contrary to every other opinion posted here I find these grips make the huge lumps even more unpleasant to use than they already are. I have a D200 and D700. The former has a third party grip and the latter the MB D10. In the case of the D700 - I seldom use the D200 - I find the camera very top-heavy in portrait mode with the grip attached. The joystick is relatively tiny which makes it worse.</p>

<p>Given the astonishing battery life of the D700 with the standard batteries, even when using large VR lenses, the additional weight of the grip plus batteries is very unwelcome although in landscape orientation it can, for a while at least, balance the camera. I suppose I might just want to use it more if for some unknown reason I was shooting almost exclusively in portrait mode, in some very intensive environment.</p>

<p>Personally I can't wait for the day when these huge cumbersome bricks of DSLRs have been completely made redundant (optical limitations acknowledged) by smaller mirrorless cameras with equivalent, or more likely even better performance. We're almost there already. I am sick of hauling these stage-weights around.</p>

<p>Roy</p>