Hi folks

I've just acquired an "as new" Marrutt film drying cabinet and am excited to try it out. Do any of you have any experience with drying cabinets? I don't want to melt my negatives and am wondering what sort of temperature and duration I should be using to dry my films.

Naturally I can do my own testing but I'd prefer to hear first hand from someone who has used one before.

Heated/convection air movement or heated/unheated and fan to move the air?

At the junior college that I took a class in, the film drying cabinet was simply a place to dry the film with protection from dust.

It was NOT for speeding up the drying process, there was no heat or forced air circulation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
My preferred drying cabinet for 30+ years was a tall, wooden structure, sealed with the exception of two, 3" circular vents in the door, still available at most Big Box hardware stores. These inlets (top & bottom) had foam inserts in them that allowed a slow, infiltration within the cabinet. One can also acquire horizontal vents with built-in filters. When I wanted "fast" drying (2-3 hrs) a 25 watt light, built in the bottom, was turned on. Once "cleaned", and keep that way, dust problems were minimal. Aloha, Bill