Using a bellows for macrophotography

randy_centner

Hello,

I recently purchased an older Nikon PB-5 bellows at a photo swap to

use with my 35mm equipment, primarily for larger reproductions of

insects, plants or anything else that catches my eye. I have had

success in the past using a macro lens and extension tubes(1:1+

reproduction) but I have not used a bellows before and would

appreciate any insight that can be shared.

(1) A bellows is just a variable-length extension tube, no more no less.

(2) A bellows will probably require a tripod, as it is more cumbersome than extension tube(s).

(3) Given (2), a bellows is much easier to use on a tripod with a focusing rail, letting the magnification remain constant and focusing by changing the image to film distance. i.e, moving the whole camera+bellows+lens back and forth as a single unit when focusing.

(4) For a given focal length lens, the greater magnification obtainable by a bellows will result in much shorter working distances (= lens to subject distance). If you are using flash (or shooting insects without flash), this will impact your method of operation and will require adjustments, since you will be much closer to your subject.

Good Luck.

A bellows is pretty nice for indoor setups, but a real "bear" for outdoor work. I used to use one for greater than life-sized images using a short FL lens. Nikon suggests a 20mm lens reversed on a bellows for magnifications up to about 14X. I have never tried anything like that, but can imagine indicated apertures of f/16 to f/22 and non-flash exposure times of many seconds.

• 2 years later...

I know my contribution is a bit late for this thread but hopefully there are still viewers.

I have a Nikon D70 and have the chance to buy a PB-5 but am unsure as how the standard 18-70 lens will work on the bellows.

I already have some extension tubes which should overcome any clash with battery compartment problems but my main concern is stopping down the lens as it is detatched and remote from the body.

Exposure is not otherwise a concern as with digital I'll just keep trying until I get the right result in the screenback.

Anyone else been down this road?

Thanks

Clive Woolls