Using 52mm filters on a Canon RF 16mm lens - Vignetting issues

matt_t_butler

The Canon RF-16mm lens has a 43mm filter thread.

Some photographers have 52mm filters in their kit.

The reference photos are shot on Full Frame @ f22 with a 52/43mm step up filter ring -

(#A) with two stacked 52mm filters and (#B)with only one 52mm filter.

There is visible vignetting on the two stacked filters and no

vignetting when using one filter.

(No problem with cropped 1.6x for stills and 1.7x for 4K video with 2 filters.)

RF-16_1.jpg.b5bcb5fd4f24aa77829c6aa7bf3ec825.jpgCanon R+RF-16mm lens with 52/43mm step up ring and two 52mm filters

629468447_A_RF-162filters.JPG.540dfe9e6299a67b4d95b7ca5c623d19.JPG

RF-16mm with 52/43 step up ring and 2 stacked 52mm filters (#A)

1960248591_B_RF-161filter.JPG.d7f2190ec7ef8fa2d58a040c2e3619d9.JPG

RF-16mm with 52/43 step up ring and one 52mm filter (#B) - Edge of building in top Right corner.

Matt B

Some photographers have 52mm filters in their kit.

Yes many sure do, and 58mm Φ is common too. Often these are from the filter kits of film days; that certainly describes my history on the matter of my collection of Filters.

When my studio cut over to Digital (we also changed to Canon gear), I resolved the matter of (ND) Filter use by buying the largest diameter necessary and step up rings to suit. At the time we used the set of 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 F/2.8L lenses and these have a filter thread of 77mm Φ.

Subsequently Canon released EF Lenses (and I bought) lenses with a 82mm Φ thread, which thus far, has not caused me grief apropos ND Filter use.

I think in their RF line of lenses, Canon has a 95mm Φ Filter thread lens?

Not sure if your post is for information, or asking for a solution: if the latter and assuming we are discussing stacking because we have a Set of ND Filters, then, and if you use ND Filters often, it is worthwhile paying the money and buying slim profile filters suiting largest diameter filter thread lens, that you have (or believe you will have) in your kit.

WW

Not sure if your post is for information, or asking for a solution: if the latter and assuming we are discussing stacking because we have a Set of ND Filters, then, and if you use ND Filters often, it is worthwhile paying the money and buying slim profile filters suiting largest diameter filter thread lens, that you have (or believe you will have) in your kit.

WW

My exercise in stacking the filters was to find if possible how many filters I could use on the wide angle RF-16mm before vignetting issues and to save money (!)

so I did not have to buy a bunch of additional 43mm filters. Now I know.

Matt B

Decent quality used filters are widely available on eBay and other internet sources.

Not least because with the flexibility of digital, physical filters are less necessary.

I tried the adapter route, but in the end just ended up buying filters that actually fit. I do have a lot of filters, but not much money invested in them. I keep them in boxes sorted by size. I have lot of adapters, too

• Like 1

Thanks, understood.

My exercise in stacking the filters was to find if possible how many filters I could use on the wide angle RF-16mm before vignetting issues and to save money (!) so I did not have to buy a bunch of additional 43mm filters. Now I know.

Note that if you do choose to buy 43mm Φ Filters, because your lens is WA~UWA, then adding (only) one of the those 43mm Φ filters might create a vignette; this is dependent upon the Filter's profile (thickness of the rim).

WW

Thanks for the responses - as I don't have any 43mm filters I can not answer that proposition about 43mm filters vignetting,

but perhaps by using the 52/43mm step up ring and one regular rimmed 52mm filter instead of a 43mm filter it allows a wider field of view before any vignetting occurs.(?)

I tend to use a lot camera filtration for 'in-camera' effects rather than mess about in post processing .... hence my filter stacking exercise.

Matt B