User M4 Anybody?

capocheny

There has always been disagreement on what 'mint', 'excellent+' or LN should mean on the physical and cosmetic condition. Depending on the eyes of the beholder, whether you are the seller, or the buyer. So what would be an appropriate description, in one or two simple words, on this particular item? Do we again agree to disagree?

"Does anyone know how long this camera has been circulating around the Forum or how it got the hickey?"<p>Hey Marc. It had the hickey on it when I bought it from KEH back in late 2002. <p>You're in LA righ? Funny - the camera goes from Atlanta, to SF Bay, to Canada, to my home town. I wonder what the record is for the most traded Leica? Both in hands and miles.

You know, in all honesty, I rather think this would make a fun project - the goal not being to completely restore it cosmetically but, merely restoration of its functionality. I'd pick it up for this purpose if the price is low enough. Then again, I revel in fixing anything that seems impossible to bring back from the dead. I don't know, could be a fun little project! Not to mention the fact that it would make a great story afterwards if you could turn it into an ugly "user."

As an aside the seller happens to be one of the most honest people on ebay. His office is about a 20 minute drive from me and when I have won a couple of items from him I pick them up and talk for a while. Generally his merchandise is better than he describes. He has close to 6000 transactions without a single negative feedback. Maybe if I have the time I'll pop over and take a look at this beauty. Just the fact the shutter is firing is promising.

Oh, come on, guys! Quit picking on me! There's a wee bit of difference between a camera that survived a fire and one that's just seen a lot of use! Still, we have a couple of tinkerers right here on the forum that could probably get this body functioning again, and a new cover from Cameraleather would do wonders for the looks.

Marc Williams would probably be able to do some fantastic dreamy soft focus wedding pix with the D.R. Summicron, and it shouldn't be too difficult to clean up the focussing mount enough so it looks presentable.