distortion due to the design of the lens (Cosina) straight lines

appear like the letter W and also a lot of light fall of to the

corners

So far I have good experiences with the 75/4.5 and the 55/3.5 luckily

the 55 came with 3 filters and lens hood

My questions are:

1) how is the performance of this lens at wide open and at 8

2) Are there different versions of the 45 mm like the 55 which has a

3.5 and a 4 opening and how to recognize those.

3) what is a reasonable price

Thanks in advance Gert Jan

I have one and I like it a lot. I don't use it much, though. I have not checked it for edge distortion. When I use it I do use a small level so that the image is not distorted due to the nature of it being a wide angle lens. I have not noticed any light fall-off at the corners. Of course, I also haven't used it with filters yet.

Have used this lens as primary for several years BECAUSE of the perspective. Performance is outstanding at all apertures. Best of my P67 lenses closed down all the way (f/22). Near zero barrel or pincushion and no noticeable falloff at edges (important for emphasis of off-axis subjects). Any wide rectalinear lens on any camera will empasize converging lines so you have to watch leveling of camera. I know of no other version of this lens. Reasonable price for a used 9 condition or better is probably in the $500-$600 range.

Check out some of Steve Rasmussen's posts. He too is 45 user. Great lens, you won't be disappointed.

The Pentax 45/4 is a wonderful lens. Very sharp. medium format lends itself well to a lens like this because you can see all the details in the final print. I routinely print 16x20 inch prints taken with it and am always thrilled. Because it is a wide angle, you can also get away with hand holding at ridiculously low shutter speeds. I also own the 55mm which isnt bad either, and also the 35mm fisheye, which displaced the 45 as my favorite lens. I strongly encourage you to consider the fisheye, it is relatively distortion free, and you won't regret it.

Joe Oliva

I don't use the lens, but I was looking at buying it. You can get it for about $680 new with one year warranty from Cayman Camera, British West Indies, or new from Cameron Photo, Hong Kong for about $630 (not sure about warranty). All the idiots on Ebay typically pay way over the price of a new lens. And don't get it from B&H or Adorama, for some reason their prices on MF equipment are just not competitive with foreign camera dealers (at least they're foreign to me, they could be in your back yard). Their 35mm prices seem to be pretty good though. Heck you could probably buy it try it out and if you didn't like it, sell it and break even or possibly make a few bucks. Let us know how it turns out.

Search the archives for information on the above foreign companies. They've been discussed at length.

Peace Rolland Elliott

Gert, My advice is BUY IT! If you enjoy wideangle photography, you'll love this lens. I used the Carl Zeiss 18mm for

years as my favourite WA, but since obtaining the 45mm for the 67, 5-6 years ago, the 18mm now takes second

place. Use any distortion to your advantage and don't think of it as a negative fault. Distortion with this lens is

minimal for a WA anyway.

I believe there is only the f4 avaliable at present. Can't help you with the cost but many good second-hand lenses

are avaliable at reasonable cost.

P

Hello all,

Thanks for your response!

Apparently the Jen increased, the cheapest new Pentax 45/4.0with full warrantee will cost about 750 dollars

(in the Netherlands). Tomorrow I will meet someone who has a used one for sale, which is in good condition for about 550 dollars. So I will check this out! Yippee!

Kind regards Gert Jan.