used nikon d750 kit from craiglist

cash_chew

<p>I was thinking of getting a nikon d750 kit from someone posted on craiglist. The owner claims he has the original receipt from B&H, together with warranty cards. Is there anyway to verify that it is US version, instead of Import, both for body and lenses? Also, what are things that I can check on the spot to make sure the body and lenses are in good working condition? Should I get both parties to sign Bill-of-Sale or something, or is there anything else I can do for my protection?</p>

<p>First question to ask is why is the person selling the D750. You could also ask for the serial number of the camera and check with B&H when it was sold and if it's grey market, or see if it's on a stolen list anywhere online. But with the loose way CraigsList handles posts, you might not want to trust it all and check for a good used D750 at B&H or Adorama or KEH.</p>

<p>Cash, do you have experience buying and selling on Craigslist? I love Craigslist - I have completed many camera transactions and my experience has been almost exclusively positive. However, I think it is advisable to have your wits about you throughout the process. There are lots of subtle aspects to a Craigslist transaction and you need to be on the lookout for red flags and green flags.</p>

<p>In your case, the D750 kit is a $$$$ camera so the stakes are high. I agree with Michael - you should know why the person is selling. Does the scenario seem reasonable? The price is also an important piece. If the price is way below ebay pricing, you should have your guard up. Good luck!</p>

<p>Since B&H does not sell gray-market Nikon DSLRs, if the seller has a receipt from B&H that matches his name, you can be quite certain that it is neither stolen nor gray market (although it is probably not that difficult to counterfeit a B&H receipt). Additionally, a Nikon USA D750 should come with a yellow warranty card and the serial number should start with a 3. However, please keep in mind that Nikon USA's warranty is not transferable; it is good for the original owner only.</p>

<p>I would ask about its status on the flare recall: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00d3cZ</p>

<p>If I were to test a D750 on the spot, I would bring the following accessories:</p>

<ol>

<li>AF-S lens to test AF</li>

<li>AF/AF-D lens to test the AF motor inside the body</li>

<li>AI/AI-S lens to test metering with non-CPU lens</li>

<li>A Nikon SB-nn0 flash to check flash sync (e.g. SB-700, SB-910, etc.)</li>

<li>A Nikon GP-1 or GP-1A GPS unit to check that functionality</li>

<li>A microphone with a stereo mini jack</li>

<li>A pair of headphones to check the headphone jack</li>

<li>Two SD cards to check the slots.</li>

<li>An EN-EL15 battery and check the battery compartment is clean</li>

</ol>

<p>Test AF with 1 and 2. Shoot a picture of a wall to make sure that all corners are even, i.e. the lens mount is not bent. Verify that AF is accurate.</p>

<p>IMO, 1, 2 and 4 are must tests. I understand not everybody has a GPS unit, but I happen to own a D750 that I bought new last December, and its GPS jack is not working.</p>

<p>6 and 7 are for verifying video capabilities.</p>

<p>The D750 has been out for 7 months or so? I would ask why the seller is selling so soon.</p><div>00dIgn-556848084.jpg.bc3d0988ea2dd25a2a4ead72a24d0198.jpg</div>

<p>Here this is the reply from the seller:<br>

"Yes, I have the original receipt from B&H showing the serial number. I am selling it because I am switching to mirrorless. I am also selling my Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR2"<br>

@Michael, so by calling B&H and I should be able to know if it is indeed a US version? I supposed the receipt from B&H should tell if the seller is the original buyer if credit card is used? Do you have a link to the stolen list online that I can check?<br>

Thanks guys!</p>

<p>Thanks Shun! I guess I can test 1,2,4,6,7,8. I don't have a gps unit, nor have a new battery to test it with. I assume the battery comes with it. If the purchase goes well, do I need to ask seller to sign any document to protect myself from ending up in the stolen list???</p>

<p>If possible, I would ask for an ID (e.g. drivers license in the US) to match the name on the B&H receipt. IMO, the seller can sign a piece of paper, but that is quite meaningless.</p>

<p>Bring a flashlight and shine it into the battery compartment to make sure that there is no leak damage.</p>

<p>Are you going to pay in cash? If you are going to carry a lot of cash, I would go with a friend. For a large amount, I would suggest do the transaction inside a bank. (If you are that concerned, you can always withdraw your money right there and hand that over inside a bank, as they are not going to rob you inside. And the seller will also know that the money is good.) Once a friend of mine sold a used BMW, and they buyer paid like $5500 in $100 bills. My wife and I joined the seller and I checked every bill to make sure that there is no counterfeit, while the seller dealt with the paperwork.</p>

After verifying with B&H that the seller bought less than 2

months ago, finally got the camera. It is not affected with flare

issue. As per Shun's advice, tested some of the important

functions, and all seem well. All the extra free accessories from

the kit purchased are included, plus LCD screen protectors, 2

high speed SD cards, and B+W UV filter. That is 600 saving from

brand new. Cross the fingers that everything is in its mint

condition. The seller is very helpful!