I'm looking at upgrading from my old Minolta SRT-101 and I'm caught on

a budget so the Elan 7e is out of the question. I was wondering what

people's opinions of getting a used Elan IIe instead of a new Rebel

2000 or Ti.

I'm leaning towards the IIe right now but keep swaying and can't make

up my mind.

Thanks for any insight.

Matti:

As an owner of several IIe's, I'd certainly suggest it over the 2000. My wife has a 2000, and it's a decent camera, but I think the IIe offers so much more in terms of flexibility. On the IIe, you have the obvious features like eye control (which personally I love - some don't). You have 11 custom functions to help match the camera to your needs, the ability to choose focus modes at will, a much better user interface for manual shooting (main dial for shutter, rear dial for aperture as opposed to a button+dial arrangement). You'll find the viewfinder to be brighter due to the IIe's pentaprism as opposed to the 2000's penta-mirror.

In general I think the IIe is a better built, more rugged camera which is designed for longer life and heavier use. The IIe is a bit heavier than the 2000, but coming from an SR-T, you won't notice it. I didn't when I upgraded from Minolta manual focus gear.

The Ti is more feature-rich than the 2000, but will probably cost new quite a bit more than a used IIe.

I own an ElanIIe and some Minolta SRT (including an SRT-101).<br> I suggest you the ElanIIe whom have a lot of avantages : Eye control focus, <b>DOF preview</b>, <u>2 seconds miror lookup</u>, second curtain synchro, a lot of control over the exposition...<br>

If you have lot of experience with Minolta SRT, I suggest to buy an good prime lens (50mm 1.8) and not an customer zoom. I made this mistake when I swith from my Minolta to Canon, and I very dislike the picture that I take with my first zoom.<br> I begun to love my Elan when I buy the 50mm 1.8.

Good luck with you choice !

If you are going to buy used be sure the seller is reputable. Otherwise you will be spending all that money for junk with no warranty. If you are unable to afford repair work, which often exceeds the cost of a new camera. You are left with nothing to shoot with at all. So check out seller before you buy. There are no lemon laws that I am aware of on cameras.

t

I have an Elan and an Elan II (not IIe) for sale right now, so I'm somewhat biased, but I'd suggest you go for an ElanII(e). Better camera, more features, not much more expensive.

I think my Elan II may have been sold (I'm waiting to hear back), but I'd still recommend that path!

I've always though eye control focus was a gimmick and I never use it on my EOS-3. However some people do like it, so whether the IIe is worth the extra cost over a II is a personal thing.

First try handling the bodies. That may decide the issue for you. If it doesn't, then I think I'd only bother to compare the Ti and the Elan, as it represents quite a significant improvement over the 2000 for very little extra $. These Rebels DO have DOF preview, despite Denis Bergson's post. If you like ECF, or need MLU, again your choice is made. Despite the pentamirror, in reality the Rebel Ti has a brighter viewfinder than the Elan. The AI Focus on the Ti does a pretty good job in most circumstances, and has a better performance when it switches to AI Servo (provided you have a ring USM lens to take advantage). The built-in IR focus assist on the Elan is a bonus for low light, but the Ti will do at least as well with IR assist from an EX Speedlite - preferable to the strobe assist from the built-in flash. I hope this helps.

I did a side-by-side comparison between my IIe and my son's Rebel 2000. Both are good cameras. Denis told you what the differences are so I own't repeat them. For me, the feel of the IIe with BP-50 is great since I have big hands. The 2000 is a great backup and I use my son's as such when he isn't using it and I have an assignment. Please don't flame me readers, but my opinion is that the IIe is a more serious body and will grow with the user, but that is not to say that the 2000 is not capable of making great photos. It is with decent glass. The only problem is that because the IIe is out of production now and therefore not available new generally, one must take a chance. I will continue to use my IIe until it goes to camera heaven, since the 7e does not offer enough new stuff to warrant a change. If you pay a bit more and buy from a camera store that will honor a warranty, then the IIe is my recommendation. You won't be sorry. As was also said, handle each one and see what you think. Even better, maybe you could rent one of each and try them out.

<p> Went from the Rebel 2000 to an Elan II and IMO this camera is a good step up..

<p> The Rebel Ti is no slouch in the cosmetic feature department.. it has the metal mount and illuminated focus points the Rebel 2000 lacks and it also has an illuminated LCD panel at the back which one ups the Elan II or even the Elan 7.

<p> The more important feature however is the ability to dictate your metering and focusing methods.. THAT is what we need the body for right?? to enable us to take better pictures.. and the Elan II does help in that department.

<p> the ability to move AF to a button is very useful. Having mirror lockup is a benefit.. i haven't used it yet but as soon as i get my hands on the tripod i'm looking for i will test it out.

<p> It is much heavier too so your heavy lenses will be well balanced.. It has a pentaprism viewfinder.. it takes wireless remote (only the Ti date version takes wirelss remotes). It lets u have leader out rewind and has DEP mode arguably more useful than A-DEP

<p> all in all it's an exceptional value when you can find it for around $150 in good used condition.

<p> My next SLR would be a digital but i may just hold on to the ELAN II as my film SLR backup.