Used 300 f/2.8 VRII - what to look for?

kevin_beretta

Mine is the first AF-S version from 1998, before VR. Make sure that the AF-S motor is working properly without squealing, and the VR mechanism is working properly. Take a few pictures with VR on and off at 1/8 sec, 1/15 sec, 1/30 sec .... There should be an obvious difference in sharpness. Otherwise, it is the usual making sure the glass is clear without scratches and fungus.

If possible, bring a laptop with you and inspect some image samples on the larger screen (larger than the LCD on the back of the camera). If you take a picture of a brick wall, garage door, etc., as long as the camera is parallel to that flat surface, all corners of the image should be equally sharp.

Who is the seller? The 300mm/f2.8 tends to be a pro workhorse. If the seller is a pro or that lens was previously owned by a pro, it could have gone thru plenty of abuse. Any ware should be pretty obvious.

I have the AF-S VR II version. Shun hit the major issues.

Some other things--make sure the hood comes with the lens and that the hood locking knob works. Look at the black gasket around the front of the lens for any signs of wear and tear or abuse. Make sure the tripod collar mounting ring rotates smoothly and that the locking knob on it works without having to apply a lot of twist or pressure. If it is hard to lock that means a part inside the know needs to be replaced by Nikon. I think the lens needs a clear filter in the rear filter holder for the lens to produce the sharpest images. Make sure there is a filter there.

Read the lens manual too: You can find it here;

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672200-USA/Nikon_2186_AF_S_NIKKOR_300mm_f_2_8G.html/overview

Thanks Joseph et al,

I went to look at the lens yesterday but it had one element that had a sea of small white specs on it. The person selling it was clearly unaware; a distracted doctor with a serious GAS issue. It was a very courteous interaction and the lens is off the Nikon Canada on Monday for an eval and hopefully a fix. We'll see where it goes from there. For the rest, it was immaculate and the test shots I took with it were out of this world. So I hope it gets sorted...

but it had one element that had a sea of small white specs on it.

I looked 'down' the lens mount on mine the other day, having left the back cap off (doh!) and could see loads of bits and realised they were, of course, on the upper surface of the drop-in filter. I carefully removed it sideways, puffed off the worse with a rubber-bulb blower, and the rest with a lens cloth. Sparkling now!

I looked back down again, without the drop-in, and there were a few specks that puffed off OK.

All good.

Note to self. DON'T FORGET THE BACK CAP!...:eek:

I used my 300mm f2.8 VR II a few weeks ago to photograph captive raptors. Backgrounds were busy so I used wider f stops to help control backgrounds. Light was pretty harsh, but you can't always get what you want. The 1_JVSmith__220216_Raptors_2_131_Nik_DxO_DxO.thumb.jpg.3889d31903875f82d6b98728366ca847.jpg 1_JVSmith__220216_Raptors_2_525_Nik_DxO_DxO.jpg.f8a5f1b6b60f48ead97b64ca2a5596e0.jpg attached pictures were taken at f2.8 and f5 (Barred owl.) .
  • Like 4

The keeper rate varies with what you are photographing. For the captive raptors, almost all of the images were "keepers" as the shooting conditions were controlled. I used various f stops for each "pose" so I ended up selecting the best ones based on backgrounds and depth if field details on the birds face and feathers. . I took the pictures with my D 850 on a monopod with VR set to Off. I rarely use the lens hand held so if I were buying a used one, VR I or VR II would not make that much difference to me.
  • Like 1

The VR I was made from 2004 to 2009 and the VR II from 2009 to 2022 (so far). The VR I lenses are therefore quite old and are more likely to malfunction (VR system and SWM motor are possible problem areas). There are likely no parts for the VR I VR system, or so I was told by a friend who has this lens and there is some issue with the VR. No repair was possible. For this reason (availability of repair and parts) I purchased the current version about one year ago. I've found to my delight that the VR II combined with Z6 II in-camera VR produces a really stable image, so switching to DSLR the lens becomes very shaky in comparison (because I get so used to the super stable image of the combined VR system). I don't how the VR performance of the older VR I is with Z cameras.

I like the lens although it is heavy. I use it for some wildlife (deer, moose, some birds etc.), for figure skating (singles mainly) and for some concerts. However, I prefer the 200/2's easier handling and today I am leaving the 300 at home and going to shoot synchronized skating with the 200. I mostly shoot these lenses with DSLRs but the 300/2.8 I sometimes shoot slowly moving or static subjects with the Z to benefit from the enhanced hand-held stability.

llkka, thank you for your additional comments. The parts matter is something to consider in buying any older lens with AF and VR.

The poster may also want to consider the Nikon 300mm f4 pf lens. Its image quality is excellent and it is so much easier to carry and use than the 300mm f2.8. I use it much more than my 300mm f2.8.

The parts matter is something to consider in buying any older lens with AF and VR.

The poster may also want to consider the Nikon 300mm f4 pf lens.

Indeed. My 500mm f4 and 600mm f4s AFS are both AF dead*. No spares. 20yrs seems the limit for the early afs drive mechanisms for my lenses....YMMV! I guess they have a lot of weighty elements to move very quickly.

The 300mm (and 500mm) PFs are wonderful. I'm very interested as to what Nikon is going to charge for the 800mm PF....;)

*PS. They both live on in MF astronomically, and Focus Peaking on the Z6ii is very useful....:D

Edited by mike_halliwell

• 5 weeks later...
So I got the 300mm lens today. After my initial attempt to buy the lens, the owner sent it to Nikon Canada. They replaced the lens that was foggy and did a general check and lube sort of service; made sure everything was in spec etc. I picked it up and quickly did a bunch of shooting before the sun set. It seems to produce wonderful images, buttery smooth and sharp and none of the issues I seem to have with the D850 using other lenses, where the pictures are "overcooked" and too sharp and gritty. I solved that with some help from the CaptureOne forum people. The repair bill after taxes was just over $1,000 USD (paid by the previous owner). I paid $3,400 USD which I think is a good deal since it's been serviced and checked out, with a 90 warrantee from Nikon at this point. I did re-read all of your suggestions again today before I did a final check and handed over the cash. It really looks like a new lens, crisp and clean. Looking forward to getting some shots with this baby. This officially also concludes my GAS symptoms, as there really is nothing left to buy for me :-)
  • Like 1

I read the manual via [uSER=857417]@joseph_smith|3[/uSER] 's link but I remain with a few ponderings How is it best to carry this beast around? I for now removed the strap from my camera so as to not inadvertently use it and stress the lens mount. So I carry it by the lens foot, with the D850 being a small bump on the end. I've seen people carry these things chest-mounted but I must be looking for the wrong terminology as B&H provides no solace. The pictures are truly razor sharp at f/2,8 even. Quite enjoyable. The bokeh is out of this world. I think I'll enjoy this lens. One thing that puzzles me is that no matter what I do, I get sharper shots with VR-ON and handheld than VR-OFF and on the tripod. Mirror up delay, timer, remote with Lv .. no matter. Still seems sharper when handheld, which is bizarre. Not going to question it but I've never made such poor moon shots as last night. Edited by kevin_beretta

I've seen people carry these things chest-mounted but I must be looking for the wrong terminology as B&H provides no solace.

Check for cotton carrier or more general photographer's harness.

So I carry it by the lens foot

That's what I do with a lens of similar weight. Gets a bit uncomfortable after a few hours though. One possible solution is to have a strap attached with one end to the lens foot and the other to the mounting ring on the lens or the tripod mount of the camera.

I get sharper shots with VR-ON and handheld than VR-OFF and on the tripod.

Which tripod? And I always question any Nikon lens foot:rolleyes:

Not sure I would suspend such as heavy lens on my chest. As I mentioned earlier, I have the very first version of the 300mm/f2.8 AF-S from 1998. That lens has two metal eyelets on the non-removable tripod collar, and the included strap goes onto the two eyelets. I assume your newer version has that same feature.

Otherwise, I would put an Arca-Swiss QR plate on the tripod foot and typically I attach a Kirk SS-1 strap onto those larger lenses: However, if you regularly use that lens on a tripod, you need to remove the strap from the tripod foot every time.

KES Security Strap

How is it best to carry this beast around? I for now removed the strap from my camera so as to not inadvertently use it and stress the lens mount. So I carry it by the lens foot, with the D850 being a small bump on the end. I've seen people carry these things chest-mounted but I must be looking for the wrong terminology as B&H provides no solace.

Is this what you are looking for:

Cotton Carrier CCS G3 Harness-1 (Gray) 686GREY B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com)

BTW Cotton is a Canadian firm in BC

Camera Carrying Systems, Camera Harnesses, Camera Holsters - Cotton (cottoncarrier.com)

I carry my 300mm f2.8 VR (2850gm) by the foot, but with an Optech SLR Wrist Strap (Cuff) attached to the lens loop.

When carrying, I adjust the strap itself to be taught over the D850 + Grip, so as to transfer some of the load to my wrist not just my hand.

However, it does feel a bit front heavy in use with that/those massive front elements. Unfair comparison, but sometimes I don't even know the 300mm f4 PF, at 755gm, is attached!

• 4 weeks later...