Used 1D: How many shots taken?

catchlight

I'm looking for a used 1D and, of course, want as lightly-used a

camera as possible.

Could a 1D owner please indicate how to accurately determine how

many times the shutter has been fired on a 1D I'm evaluating? Or do

I need a Canon tech to find this out?

Thanks in advance.

The word is that there's no end-user way to do this; however, if the previous owner(s)

never reset the file numbering (left on continuous) the name of the most recently

generated image (crw6017.raw for example) should reflect the number of shutter

actuations - 6017 in the example.

A dishonest seller could claim that the use number is low by resetting the file numbering.

Canon has not shown any interest in helping folks find the real number of actuations even

though there's good evidence to suggest that the information is stored in the camera.

I have seen a separate mention about a person stating that a 10D had only 675, or so shots, as per the shot number. Is the 10D able to be read by the end user, even if the 1D is, apparently not ? I know that it is tough to get the info from Nikon digital cameras, but perhaps the 10D is more amenable ?

Brent,

As others mentioned, unless the user has *not* reset file numbering there's no way to verify unless you take the camera to a Canon Service Facility or can find someone with the 1D Service CD. However, the 1D spec is 150,000 accutations and worst case, it's a $150 repair if you go through Canon. I've been using two 1D's for over a year and frankly have never even worried about this. One of the bodies easily has over 130K shots and it still works like new. If in fact you ever get to this point, it probably means the camera has served you well and just like my '88 BMW 535IS with over 160,000 miles I can decide *if* it's worth rebuilding the transmission or not :-)

Also, I think the issue of shutter count is only one of the factors when buying a used 1D. If the rest of the camera body is pristine and obviously cared for, then you're probably ok. If it's beat, then I'd be suspicious anyway and probably look for another sample.

Hope this helps,

Ned

http://www.bunnellphotography.com

But, Erb, and others, how did you determine that your 10D or 1D had gone past 10,000 shots fired ? By using the continuity of the sequential file names ?

With the shifting of the models up to the Mk II and the like, used cameras will come on the market. If the end user, without hauling the camera in to Canon for a diagnostic, can determine the number of shots fired, it would be quite helpful, even, and perhaps particularly, to those wanting to sell their moderately used cameras, rather than those wishing to buy them.

Regardless of the turnover of the "odometer" on the camera - do you have a way to determine the number of shots fired ? This would be of help, all around.

Ned,

I remember reading something about Pro's and thier cameras. Pro's take care of the camera's yes, but the internals are always well used. So, its better to find out if the used item was amature, or Professional. Because not all amatures are careful with thier kit.

Cheers,