urgent help.Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (without IS)

abhishek gupta1

<p>Hi All,<br>

Suddenly I landed up in Tanzania land of Lions and Masai. I need urgent help!.<br>

My bag dosent have any zoom and I m with a very limited budget with no sacrifice in quality.<br>

Im planning to buy <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-Telephoto-Zoom-Cameras/dp/B000053HH5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304599488&sr=8-3"> </a></p>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-Telephoto-Zoom-Cameras/dp/B000053HH5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304599488&sr=8-3">Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM</a> (remember this is without IS) for 710USD from B&H.

My question is how ifferent will it be from IS version and the 70-200 2.8.

If 500mm and 800 mm can work on f4 and f5.6 respectively, and top end wildlife photographer can take brilliant evening shots,cant <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-Telephoto-Zoom-Cameras/dp/B000053HH5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304599488&sr=8-3">Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM</a> be good enough as its much shorter than 500-800.

Also if any other lens around 1000USD with high quality optics can be suggested for example 70-300.

Also plz suggest if i can look for sigma or tamron with f2.8 at around same price.

Im using a 500D so cant move over ISO400 as its gets really grainy over ISO400

help my safari is booked for next week and I need urgent help.

<p>I would go for the Sigma 2.8 over the Canon 4.0. The extra stop of light isn't so much that you are going to shoot wide open but it makes AF faster and gives you a brighter image in the viewfinder. And of course it does let you shoot in lower light if you are limiting yourself to 400.</p>

Hi Gupta,

I run a photographic safari company in Uganda and most of the best shooting will take place in low light situations normally between 6.30-11am and 4-7pm. In those first or last moments of light an extra f stop and/or IS can make all the difference from getting an image or not. The 70-200mm f4 is a great lens and great in good light. IS and extra f stops just let you extend the viable shooting time you have on safari.

Unlike southern Africa, there is not much opportunity in Tanzania to go 'off track' which means that many sightings might be a distance from your vehicle. If you can i would try to get closer to 500mm focal length that would be best. A good second hand 100-400mm would be a much better choice than the 70-200mm in my opinion.

Have a great safari,

Chris

<p>Thanks for the a quick response. You wrte"" Sigma 2.8 over the Canon 4.0. "" I can think of buying the sigma but have u used it yousef and are u confident about the quality...how is it compared to canon in terms of optical quality and overal performance. My budget is really tight and i cant move to a IS version... or if non EF 70-200mm f/4L USM is not idel i can just postpone the plan of buying it till I have more money. Again request you to mention more info n sigma 70-200 2.8<br>

Thanks a ton!</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

The canon 400 mm f/5.6 usm lens is pretty nice too ( L series, not IS though). I use it with a 1.4 extender (you would need a canon 1-D body for autofocus for combination, I use film and get away with a EOS 3). I have a 100 -300 mm to cover the shorter end. The 400 mm lens is around 1300 USD , lighter than 100 - 400 and being a prime sharper.<br>

Do you have an option to rent lenses for the trip? That might be another route, you might want to explore</p>