Upset about being charged for renewal without notification & authorization

graneenie

I was automatically charged for a renewal without notification, and CHARGED WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION. I want my debit card deleted from your account, and I want the unauthorized charge reversed. I also want my membership in Photo.net cancelled. I could find no link on the site to my membership and financial info. I also need to know the time period this charge covers. Jeanne Hauschild
  • Like 1

At the top of the page, hover on your avatar next to "Upload", then click on "My Account" next to the gearwheel icon. Scroll down to "Auto Subscription Renewals?" and choose either "Auto-Renew" or "No Renewals".

Selecting No Renewals will prevent your being blindsided by automatics. What I don't see is an option for manual renewals after notification, or for updating or revising your renewal account info. Seems like that would be a no-brainer.

At the top of the page, hover on your avatar next to "Upload", then click on "My Account" next to the gearwheel icon. Scroll down to "Auto Subscription Renewals?" and choose either "Auto-Renew" or "No Renewals".

Selecting No Renewals will prevent your being blindsided by automatics. What I don't see is an option for manual renewals after notification, or for updating or revising your renewal account info. Seems like that would be a no-brainer.

I followed your instructions precisely. I clicked on my account and was taken to a page that had most of my information, such as my name, email address, and other information, but nowhere on that page was any reference to "Auto Subscription Renewals" "Auto-Renewal: or "No Renewals" or any information about debit or credit cards. I tried using both Firefox web browser and Internet Explorer, and got the same results.. Can you tell me if you have recently done this, and exactly where on the account page you see the Auto Subscription Information.

One strange thing is that on my account page they have a button to select premium membership, but I have premium membership which is what I am being charged a renewal fee for. I am hesitant to click on that button to see if there Is more information there because I don't want to continue with my premium account since I rarely use it anymore.

Edited by graneenie

I just did it, so I know it's possible. I'm using Firefox on a 2 year old iMac.

When you go to your account and the page pops up, is the first item you see on the right "Avatar"? If so, the next item you should right below it is "First Page after Login." Below that is "Please hire me." Next item is "Profile Page Layout," then "Photo background color." FINALLY, you should see "Auto-Renew Subscription."

Ball is in your court now.

One strange thing

Jeanne, unfortunately, there's more than one strange thing about the functionality of PN for the last 14 months, since the redesign. What I've found is an incredible lack of consistency in the way the site functions for each of us, depending on what browser we use, what kind of computer or device we use, and other factors, known and unknown. In any case, it's very possibly nothing you're doing, just a difference in the way Vincent's functioning is from yours. I've read so many of these types of things where one person sees one thing and others see something else, where a link works for some and not for others, etc. As a matter of fact, this auto-renew problem has been brought up quite a few times in the last year. So, you're not alone. My advice to everyone is NEVER to spend too much on a PN problem, because there's most likely not much you can do about it, even if others can. Best thing you've done is post here, which will hopefully grab the attention of the administration, who can try to help you. I've just seen too many people go through too much hassle trying to solve a problem only to be frustrated and disappointed because of the inconsistency from one person to the next. Best of luck.

My experience is similar to William's. Just in case you are missing it (though I doubt it), when I click on my account, here's a picture of the top of the page that comes up. Notice on the bottom left is the switch William is talking about. Your page likely looks different.

1170972431_ScreenShot2018-02-24at1_50_22PM.thumb.jpg.2d0c1d6a6e6bca02126afc5c63acd8d8.jpg

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I just did it, so I know it's possible. I'm using Firefox on a 2 year old iMac.

When you go to your account and the page pops up, is the first item you see on the right "Avatar"? If so, the next item you should right below it is "First Page after Login." Below that is "Please hire me." Next item is "Profile Page Layout," then "Photo background color." FINALLY, you should see "Auto-Renew Subscription."

Ball is in your court now.

First of all I have tried this three times; one running on a machine with Ubuntu using Firefox; once on a Windows10 Machine using Firefox, and once on a Windows10 machine using Internet Explorer. I first logged in and hovered over my avitar at the right end of top grey bar just to the left of the orange "upload" button. I get a drop down menu where the fourth item down is "My Account" . I clicked on my account next to the gearwheel, and on the My account page, there is the setup you describe, except immediately below the "Photo Background color" is "Your Info" followed by a good deal of information about me such as my user name, email address, contact info, etc, but nowhere is there the "Auto Renew Subscription" to which you refer, not even going to the end of the page.

At the top of this settings page is an orange button which has a key symbol, and the words "Upgrade to Premium". I already have a premium account and this is what I was just charged for the renewal of. I am wondering why they have this button unless they think I don't already have a premium account. Is this upgrade button on your page that has the "Auto Renew Subscription" choices?

By the way, my husband and I grew up in Metairie, meeting in 9th grade at Metairie Jr. High, and attended East Jefferson High, Class of 1962, and lived in Metairie until 1977 when we moved into New Orleans. We are now in Missouri.

Jeanne, see my post above. The "Upgrade to Premium" situation is likely the culprit, and why you're not seeing what you should be seeing. Again, it's doubtful you'll do anything but keep spinning your wheels by trying to solve this. I'd also use the CONTACT link at the bottom of the page to increase your chances of getting a prompt response.

At the top of this settings page is an orange button which has a key symbol, and the words "Upgrade to Premium". ... Is this upgrade button on your page that has the "Auto Renew Subscription" choices?

By the way, my husband and I grew up in Metairie, meeting in 9th grade at Metairie Jr. High, and attended East Jefferson High, Class of 1962, and lived in Metairie until 1977 when we moved into New Orleans. We are now in Missouri.

No, I don't see an orange button for "Upgrade to Premium" anywhere on the page. Photo.net works in mysterious ways.

My wife and I are originally from New Orleans. We just recently moved to Metairie, because she had a medical emergency and she just couldn't get proper medical care in St. Joseph, LA where we lived since Katrina flooded us out. That was the final straw for me, so we left overnight and are gradually moving our belongings down to Metairie.

What I have concluded is that

(1) I can't get to the "Auto Renew Subscription" because photo.net doesn't think I am a premium member even though I have been so for many years, and even though they just charged me for another year;

(2) There is no way to directly contact a photo.net administrator because the contact button does not work, at least for someone who is a premium member, but who they don't think was/is/maybe is/maybe isn't a premium member, in spite of taking my money for premium service.

(3) Probably the only way to resolve this is to get my bank to charge back the yearly fee just deducted from my account.

Does anyone know if photo.net even has a phone or street address? They seem to now be a mystery organization which has perhaps evaporated into the Twilight Zone, Does anyone know the name of the firm that owns photo.net?

I, for one, am disinclined to answer any more questions. There’s been an awful lot of help offered here, although as I suggested was likely, nothing that you can do is going to work. You’ve written a lot of follow up words and yet two simple words are absent from any of your posts. So I’m out of here.

When my bank account was charged $29.95 on the 23rd it was listed as photo.net, 228 Dexter Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109. Searching google yields Creative Live Studio at that address. Does anyone know what the association between photo.net and Creative Live Studio is, if any? It appears that Creative Live Studio is involved in photography.

I am totally perplexed. Contact button just brings up a blank page; being charged for another year yet am not recognized as a premium customer; ownership of photo.net seems to be totally hidden.

Added later:

I called my daughter and had her click on "contact" on the forums page, and a contact page came up for her, so she wrote the contact message for me and sent if from her computer. Obviously there is something wrong that keeps some of the photo.net site from universally working as it should. Thank everyone for the help, including those with less than kind remarks.

It may have been less than kind, but it seems to have got the job done! You're welcome.

instead of offering menu directions and wading through a rat maze of choices, why not just post the proper contact information to the head honcho? seems all your help deserved was a "thanks for nothing" since it never answered her questions to resolve her financial problem?

did i ever mention the 15 minute edit time out still doesnt work properly? it actually times out in 7 minutes by my stop watch. bugs????

The more you say, the less people listen.

I was automatically charged for a renewal without notification, and CHARGED WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION. I want my debit card deleted from your account, and I want the unauthorized charge reversed. I also want my membership in Photo.net cancelled. I could find no link on the site to my membership and financial info. I also need to know the time period this charge covers. Jeanne Hauschild

Hello Jeanne - when you renewed your subscription last year it was set up for auto-renew. There is a spot in the member center to opt-out of auto-renew which remained set up as opted into auto-renew. Because you did not want this - I have refunded your money through Stripe (our credit card service provider) and will send you a PM with a screenshot of the refund. Nothing was done maliciously on our end again it was just how your account was set up.