Upgrading OSX From Maverics To Yosemite

<p>I updated my late model Macbook Air and have had only slight issues but they are not relate to photo applications. I really dislike the new visuals of Yosemite. I think they look cheap and 'flat'. If you use apps w/ custom kernel extensions (like VPN for work), they may not work w/o a bit of a workaround</p>

<p>I upgraded my Mac Pro, which went without any real problems, but I would recommend updating to 10.10.1 right after you install 10.10 as 10.10 has a few problems. The apps that I have and don't work or run under Yosemite have been updated. Apple is moving to limit third party apps to Maverick or later but they haven't fully implemented it yet as some older Adobe and other apps still work. Many of the Adobe apps haven't worked, for me anyway, since Lion (10.8), and Adobe has been updating the CC apps through the users' subscriptions.</p>

<p>That said, Yosemite has some quirks and some problems with third-party apps as seen in the console log, but nothing serious. Datacolor's Spyder 3 doesn't work under Yosemite, yet anyway as the company has promised an update to the software, but Spyder 4 was updated for Yosemite. Safari 8 under Yosemite has some issues which are all Apple's failure to fully test or fix before release. Bluetooth to IOS 8 still has some problems with iPhone 5 series.</p>

<p>Overall, Yosemite is worth the upgade with all the quirks or issues. And I agree the new IOS-mimic style (background, font, etc.) sucks, especially when the global settings are limited to two for all Apple apps (transparent or not, light or dark, etc.). Apple has been and still are slowly reducing user controls and options for the desktop and apps.</p>

I've updated three computers to 10.10.1 and have had no issues with apps.

Safari is faster, and, I like the new features, especially related to handling SMS texts and answering phone

calls through OS X via a nearby iPhone on the same network. AirDropping files now works between iOS

devices and OS X computers. And best of all, skeuomorphism is dead and buried. The new UI is smartly

designed and looks/works great.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>For me, it is one of these "upgrades" for my Mac, which I can live without.<br>

I don't use Iphones anymore, but Android phones (HTC) and I don't need a "faster Google, Chrome and Firefox are fast enough for me. The rest of the novelties of Yosemite are gimmicks in my computer world. </p>

<p>I upgraded and have had a couple of minor problems-my folder icons and some of my application icons keep disappearing and I have to restart my mac to correct. In addition, the balance on my speakers keeps shifting to the right and I have to keep resetting. The biggest problem (not mine) appears to be with wi-fi; 10.10.1 was supposed to correct this but didn't for many. 10,10.2 is currently in beta and will hopefully correct these and other issues (you can go to Apple Support-Communities-OS-Yosemite to see many of the user issues)..cb</p>

<p>I upgraded and I find that it is quite beautiful. Everything works for me, for the most part... Mail drop doesn't do what it says it will do and handoff doesn't work on older computers (before 2012), so my late model Intel Mac Pro will get replaced as soon as the second version of the new Mac Pro comes out... There are wifi and bluetooth issues that continue to plague some, but I figure these will get handled in the next month or so..<br>

Photoshop works the same...</p>

<p>No major issues. Apple Mail got some minor changes that are somewhat annoying but it runs fine. No issues with Epson print drivers/Photoshop/LR in terms of what we saw in the past (broken color management). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

My advice regarding Apple OS's is to upgrade to a major version just before a new one comes out. That way you'll have

the issues sorted out and you'll enjoy one extra year of stability and speed.

And th reason for upgrading at all is that apps usually drop support for older versions. But within a year of a release, it's unlikely that it becomes mandatory for some app.

<p>I will upgrade when it is clear that the "wifi problem" widely reported (not just a few grumps, BTW) has been solved. the latest version from Apple still doesn't seem to have got there.</p>

<p>Mavericks is really a very nice OS.</p>

<p>On my iPhone, I went too soon to iOS 8 and would go back to 7 if I could. I have the same problem there reported for Yosemite of losing wifi connections.</p>

<p><br /> Why do I not ALWAYS follow the Law?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"never install the first version of anything"<br /> widely called Gates's Law</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you were to upgrade now, it would be to 10.10.1 and not to 10.10, because that is what is available. </p>

<p>I'm with Andrew over the annoying changes in Mail. It makes one wonder if Apple is aware of the backward steps in this new version. I fail to see the advantage of restricting features just to match iOS Mail. I hope the trend does not continue. </p>

<p>However, all the reports I see say that the 10.10.1 still has the wifi problem, and furthermore, Apple definitely avoids saying anything about it, that I can see.</p>

<p>I see no reason to rush into this one, unless you have to have one of the new features/apps (and a new iPhone as well, apparently).</p>

<p>I have the latest upgrade revision to iOS 8, and I still have to periodically reboot in order to restore full wifi accesss. Never, ever had to do that under iOS 7.</p>

<blockquote>

<p dir="ltr">I agree with Antonio.</p>

</blockquote>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Me too. Apple relies on early adopters as beta testers so I wouldn't do it for the sake of just doing it. </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Trim. No warning from Apple that Yosemite wont boot with 3rd party trim ssd's is a pretty big issue on a couple of the private Facebook working-photographer groups I use. I have a Samsung Evo in my mbp and not in a hurry to attempt Yosemite until this trim thing is figured out. The memory leaks and gpu issues is a pest and hinders battery performance. Digi Lloyd and the Mac Performance Guide are doing a great job informing us of the Yosemite issues.</p>

<p dir="ltr"><a href="http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/index.html" target="_blank">http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/index.html</a></p>

<p dir="ltr">And heads up, beware of the major privacy changes for Spotlight with Yosemite. Everything you enter into Spotlight now reports back to Apple and *cough cough* Microsoft. Also, Continuity and auto-save, uses iCloud by default and if you're not comfortable with iCloud you should research what gets saved there and tweak some settings in order to prevent it. I could only imagine the fallout and pitchforks if Microsoft tried this. Great info here as well are the contributing comments</p>

<p dir="ltr"><a href="http://lifehacker.com/lets-talk-about-apples-privacy-issues-1655944758" target="_blank">http://lifehacker.com/lets-talk-about-apples-privacy-issues-1655944758</a></p>

<p dir="ltr">But then again even if aware and turn off and disable the "phone home ET" settings in Yosemite, 'little snitch' proves Yosemite stills phone home nevertheless. Again, I could only imagine the fallout and pitchforks if Microsoft tried this.</p>

<p dir="ltr"><a href="https://github.com/fix-macosx/yosemite-phone-home/blob/master/README.md" target="_blank">https://github.com/fix-macosx/yosemite-phone-home/blob/master/README.md</a></p>

<p dir="ltr">Mavericks works fine for me and gives me no reason to change. It will probably be the last Apple OS I use and it doesn't look like Adobe will be running on any of their mobile devices anytime soon, either. </p>

<p>I just jumped from Lion to Yosemite which was kind of a long jump. I did it because I was having kernel panics (total crashes) when I was using the AT&T Beam 4g dongle while also using Safari on Lion. I backed everything up twice (time machine and superduper), upgraded my parallels implementation (Windows 7 in emulation so I could remote into work) and took the upgrade. </p>

<p>There were some problems. My iPhoto wouldn't work, but I was able to get an update free from the App store and it worked after that. I had to re-install Kindle. I needed some system updates before Photoship CS3 would function. Also after there were a lot of system updates that suddenly were viable now that I was running a later OS. I also had to update Aperture. But ironically what didn't work was the AT&T Beam.</p>

<p>I consulted AT&T and tried uninstalling the Beam software (AT&T All Access) and reinstalled but still no dice. Then I saw a post on the internet that recommended uninstalling and then manually removing some stuff from the Library aboard OSX that didn't get removed by the uninstall. I did that, reinstalled, rebooted, and it started working. Though leaving it running when you close the lid (and go to sleep) apparently crashes the AT&T software.</p>

<p>I'm up and running now with Aperture, iPhoto, and Photoshop CS3 and so far so good. The new OS does have a unique look, but it's growing on me. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied.</p>

It's not easy to do yearly releases of an operating system (and associated apps) used 24/7 by millions of people, and with

major technologies in each release (sometimes only behind the scenes). In fact it's never been done, the only system with

more frequent releases is Linux in its many guises and it is hardly ever the first with technological novelties, not to

mention that its users are few and they never blame their systems but rather try to fix them on their own. Add to that that

Apple's programming paradigm is more or less unique and they had to draw in a very large number of programmers very

quickly, and the reason for some issues becomes more clear. In fact I'd wager that the only thing that even enables apple

to keep on going is that they control the hardware, which means they know exactly what they must count with.

With that said, most of the problems that people have to face seem to be entirely unrelated to the above. Wi-Fi issues

since Lion, unexplicable cellular data usage issues since iOS 5 (which is *the* reason for the pathetic battery life on

iPhones, which folks always blame on wifi or bt or animations some other innocent), occasional filesystem collapses since

at least Mountain Lion... these are not only inexcusable, they're impossible to understand. Not to mention the divers

hardware issues over the years that they mostly ignore.

The random removal of features in software is something that's been going on for a while. It may result in better products

in some contexts, but not here when it's streamlined products we're talking about. Apple used to take very good care to

put exactly what they should exactly where it should go, but there have been some blunders lately. Not a fan of the faux

leather troupe, I'm not a fan of the flatters either. Let's see what the future holds.

<blockquote>

<p>It's not easy to do yearly releases of an operating system (and associated apps) used 24/7 by millions of people, and with major technologies in each release </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't think you'd find many objective tech geeks that would agree with your defense of Apple, Antonio. Apple is merely Unix with it's own skin, it has a very very small user base to satisfy, and is configured to run only on a half a dozen laptops and iMacs that are controlled and sold by Apple. A company really couldn't ask for a better situation to make an os shine and flourish. But no. In the grand scheme of things, while having the easiest job in supplying an operating system compared to the others, they do the worst job of it.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I have been experiencing Lightroom-problems after the upgrade to Yosemite and I'm not the only one - see here for more details ... http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/issue_with_lightrooms_map_module_in_os_x_10_10_yosemite?page=1 ...<br>

There doesn't yet seem to be a full understanding of the reasons - and hence no solution nor workaround either. </p>

<p>Now that I have installed Yosemite on my Macbook, I have been having problems with uploading images to Apple Aperture. With previous operating systems, inserting a card of images in my card reader would signal Aperture to open and start the download process. Now, I can only download images if I first start Aperture and then insert the card. It may then start the download process, or, more often than not, tell me that it is "loading assets" but never finishes loading. I then must remove the card and try again until it finally works. I have been slowly migrating to using Lightroom, so it's disconcerting to read about Gert's and others problems. Meanwhile, my main computer that I use for photo editing is an old Mac Pro 1,1 running OS 10.7.5, which continues to work fine with both Aperture and Lightroom (at least with my present cameras. If I but a new one, the latest Aperture updates covering new cameras RAW converters require an updated OS to install) . I am looking to upgrade the computer to a newer Mac Pro, but certainly not before Yosemite problems are sorted out. </p>

<p>@Eric, you may wish to reread what I wrote. I only wrote it because I do have a thorough understanding of the issues involved, and my earlier comment might have given the impression I was saying they can't do anything right. Your impressions look solid at first sight, but they don't really stand any close scrutiny:</p>

<p>- 'Merely Unix with its own skin' is like saying a human being is merely a skeleton with some filling. Unix by itself amounts to very little. Unix by itself amounts to very little, the hard part is what's built on top of it, and it could just as well have been built on top of something other than Unix. In all, Unix within OS X is there mostly as a provider of some low-level services (and an API and some command-line utilities), but most of what matters is independent of it (even the drivers).</p>

<p>- OS X and iOS are the same operating system, that's not a small user base at all. When there are complaints, it's because they affect all those folks. If they had a small user base, there would be no statistical chance for complaints.</p>

<p>- Each version of OS X has either introduced major features (which then may or may not find their way into the offers of competitors) or significantly improved the previous UX (which is not the same as changing colours, as some believe). I repeat that that has never been done anywhere, by anyone, on a yearly basis. That takes skill, inevitably leads to small issues here and there, but means you usually have some reason for upgrading. Only Google has been doing the same, and they don't have a real desktop OS. By contrast, there is very little (aside from some APIs) Windows 8.1 can do that XP couldn't, whereas the Linux desktop ecosystem (as opposed to the kernel, or server space) is still playing catch-up to XP.</p>

<p>- By no conceivable standard does Apple do a worse job than MS or Google or any of the Linux vendors in supplying an operating system. Saying they are 'the worst' means you either have no experience with them, or no experience with any of the others, or just happened to have had very skewed experiences. Or that you're using different standards, but then don't compare them.</p>

<p>As to the actual issues with Apple, I pointed them out above. (It would be unfair to signal them out on the user privacy count, no one is doing any better, none of them is to be trusted.)</p>

<p>@Glenn, Aperture has been discontinued. Whatever you do, don't base your decisions on its continued development.</p>

<p>@Gert, Apple has a habit of removing suboptimal or buggy behaviours in each release (after having wanted about them at least for a year, and often more). But often 3rd party software relies on those to work, either because it's not well written or because of some wrong assumption, or whatever. In those cases, it will break. It's harsh because the user pays the penalty, but as someone working in the software industry and constantly having to fight so people will design their systems well rather than lazily, I can only be glad for it... Adobe and Microsoft software for Mac used to be notoriously poor written, now they're getting better on account of that policy.</p>

<p>Compatibility is one reason why I keep Snow Leopard (10.6) around in my laptop that originally came with Leopard (10.5) and might be upgraded to Yosemite (10.10).</p>

<p>By contrast, Microsoft used to go to arcane lengths in order to ensure that old 3rd party software relying on old bugs kept working in newer versions. Commendable effort, but misguided in my opinion.</p>

<p>Thanks António for your insight on the issues with f.i. Lightroom and Yosemite.<br>

Someone from Adobe did post on the above-referenced (by me, see the earlier link) site the following comments "... This bug occurs because Apple has changed something in their network stack in 10.10 that causes problems for the Lightroom Map module (specifically, with APE, the web engine that the Map module uses), particularly in low-bandwidth conditions. ...". However, this issue was apparently already detected <em><strong>before</strong></em><strong> </strong>Yosemite was launched to the "grand public" and normal users like me.<br>

And yep, you're probably right keeping some proven systems "alive" to cope with sudden and not seldom peculiar problems for "early adopters" of new technology - for sure where it involves multiple parties, like Adobe and Apple in this specific case.</p>