Upgrading from an F70 to...

jv1

Good day,

I have been using an F70 (N70 for the Americans) for quite a while.

It was my first serious camera, and I always enjoyed using it,

despite it's quirks. Now, however, I feel as it is time for an

improvement - my main worries about the F70 are build quality (it's

quite tough, but not as tough as I'd like it to be), having to hold

down the camera everytime to look at the LCD (really necessary

because of the F70's awkward interface), no backlit LCD (impossible

to read in the dark), and 'slow': no particular slow autofocus

action, but slow to change functions etc. Also quite a bit of

shutterlag.

I want my next camera to be 'the real thing', so that I don't have

to upgrade again in two years... There's four possibilities I am

considering. Any advice on any of them would be very, very

appreciated. I will be using the camera for a variety of things,

including photojournalism (but not sports or daily press, rather

something like travel, foreign countries, etc for magazines),

landscape (in the long run I plan to get something like a Speed

Graphic for this, but for now I'd want to use it for landscape as

well (it went well with my F70).)

All these cameras I'm looking at I would buy second hand. Notice

that all the prices look rather high, but I am buying them from a

shop that I know and trust, they give a one-year-garantee on all

secondhand items, plus if I buy it there they'll buy my F70 for a

good price.

1) An F90x (N90s). Dislikes: 'amateur'-camera, still somewhat

plasticy, no bracketing without the databack, pretty old already

(especially if you date it back to the regular F90/N90)

I could get this one for about 450 euros in good to excellent

condition.

2) An F100. I have read nothing but good reviews. I like the

professional features such as dof-preview (alas, in modern cameras

this seems to have become a 'professional' feature, unlike in the

old SLR's), tracking, quality AF, ... Things that worry me; no good

dust sealing, no mirror lockup, the price (more expensive than an

F4, only a bit cheaper than an F5 second hand)

I could get this one for about 600-800 euros depending on the

condition.

3) An F4. I like that it is a professional camera built like a rock.

I like it's lens compatibility, mirror lockup, dof-preview, and

price... I worry about it's age, autofocus, and perhaps slow

handling?

I could get this one for 400-500 euros.

4) an F5. The 'ideal' camera, I guess? Not sure what I would

dislike, perhaps that it eats batteries (just like the F100?). I

don't mind the weight, this beauty feels excellent in my hands (just

like the F4).

But the cost would still be around 800-900 euros.

Could anyone give me any pointers, or their opinions, general

informations, good sites to compare these cameras?

Right now I'm leaning towards the F4, a professional camera for a

very low price is definitely tempting...

Thanks in advance.

Correction; I could get a good F4 for 550 euros (not 400-500). Despite this, I am more and more leaning towards the F4. It really seems to be what I am looking for.

Still, comments would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

cheers

I recommend and own a n90s and a F100. Either would be a great choice for you. If you do a lot of AF shooting, get the F100. Its AF system, focal points and focusing, is more advanced than the n90s. I think the F100 is better sealed than the n90s. It certainly has a better ergonomic design than the n90s. Both bodies will meter with AIS or AF lenses, so all Nikon lenses are available to you. And both will give you great results with Nikon flashes. Neither has mirror lock up. The F100 has a built in diopter correction. If you can afford it, and need its extra features, get the F5. If not, get the F100. And maybe two of them. Joe Smith

Unless you are planning to abuse your camera, it is not really necessary to buy one that is "built like a tank/rock" with weather sealing. The F100 is a pretty good choice; it has more modern features and is not huge and heavy. Personally, I prefer to control the aperture from the sub-command dial, which makes the F100 fully compatible with G lenses. Moreover, the F100 has 5 AF points and is VR compatible.

I've got to agree with the above posters. The F100 all the way unless you need to added ruggedness and extra bells and whistles on the F5. The F5 is a larger hevier camera. The F100 is simply a better more advance camera that the F4 and is still production. It can take just about every Nikon lens out there and works with the newer VR, AFS and G lenses. It can run on AA batteries which are cheap.

I also upgraded from a F70/N70 and the transition was extremely easy. The F100 is laid out so well. Very fast and easy to use and change settings compared to the N70. I always liked the N70 and never thought the interface was bad until I got the F100.

The F4 is a great camera but it's getting a bit old. The AF is not nearly as fast as the F100 and F5 and I may be wrong but I don't think it is compatible with the newer VR and G lenses. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this. The F4 is also a heavy camera compared to the F100.

So again, F100 all the way! You will love it.

I suppose it's lame to say this, but, they're all excellent cameras and your own predilection should control. I went with the F4 because it has a well-deserved reputation for reliability and ruggedness outdoors, I have no use for autofocus, I can use the small battery pack MB-20 to keep the bulk and profile down, I like the interchangeable and replaceable viewfinders, the 100% viewfinder, the mirror lockup, and the eye relief, and because I prefer easy-to-use contol knobs to LCD panels that aren't known for their longevity or impact resistance.

I'm the first one to say it, but I'd buy a digital first.

I'd rank your choices like this:

1) D70 - the best digital under $1,000 US (new)

2) D55 - if you have a lower budget

3) F5 - best price to value out there - you can get on on Ebay for $500 or $600 US

4) F100 - great camera, but you can get a used F5 for only a little more, so why not go F5?

5) F90 - sort of an F100 junior, but you can get one on Ebay for $200

6)F4 - really overpriced for what you get - bad AF

The F100 has a few upgrades over the F4 but I prefer the F4 anyway. AF is not quite as good but it's still very good. It's tough as a brick and sometimes feels like one. I liked the F4 from the minute I picked one up. The F5 is better enough that if you want to spend the extra money I would do so but if not the F5 then definitely the F4. As someone else mentioned, I'd keep the F70, you may need a back up.

Rick H.

Thanks everyone for the answers so far. Although, you're not exactly making my choice any easier, because my previous preference for the F4 is being put to the test, and I feel very attracted to the F100 all of a sudden :-)

Could someone clearly outline what the F100 and the F5 have to offer over the F4, apart from a) faster autofocus b) 5-zone auto-focus c) more advanced matrix metering? I'd be very gratefull...

i'd go with the F100 for fast and reliable AF. you won't regret it.

there's definitely that professional look that you are after.

i think it's the most practical buy in your list. whatever you get, keep the N70 for your backup. your dealer friend might just give you $100+ for that. it may come in handy.

i have the F100 and kept my F80 for backup because i do some wedding shoots on the side for close friends (and their friends). the F80/N80 is like a baby F100. placement of controls and functions are almost identical. i'm happy with the pair for my film setup.

have fun.

The F70 has one of the shortest shutterlags in consumer Nikon SLRs, it's certainly a shorter delay than the F100 has. So if this is high in your list of priorities, the F801,F801s and F100 are bad choices. You need an F3, F4, F5 or F6 to get a shorter shutter lag, and with the two last ones the autofocus will be faster too. Yes, the F100 and F5 eat batteries but if you use lithium AAs one set lasts for 50-100 rolls, depending on how you use the camera.

The F4s is very good on batteries in my opinion, I shoot AA alkalines in mine. I just spent a week shooting an event with only an F4s and couldn't have asked for more performance than I got. Maybe the AF is a bit slower but I still didn't miss any photos because of a slow AF. The meter works just as well as ever and all of my exposures were just fine, flash and available light. It didn't make a lot of noise and operated flawlessly.

What I like about the F4s over the others you listed is the way the controls are laid out. I can find my way around the camera more easily than with the others. They all work but I grew up on the F2 so the F4 is more intuitive for me. Plus it is every bit as solid as the F2. As I said before, if money isn't a big factor, get the F5, otherwise go with the F4s. You can always tell when you are using the top of the line camera, I don't care how old it is or which generation of camera you are using.

Rick H.

Get the F100. It is still made and sold new, so support will be around for a long time. It is

very capable, takes the new crop of VR lenses, and does more than the F4 and N90s. The

F4 is too old, and the autofocus and metering are not as good as the other cameras you

are considering. The F5 is a great camera, but it is too big and heavy to carry everywhere.

The N90s is a great little camera (actually, it's not that little), but the F100 is a far better

camera. Of course, you could always get the new F6!

"The F4 is too old.."

Ah, my newest Nikon acquisition is 'too old'? I'm devastated to hear that. Only my FM3a is younger - but it too is from an earlier era. Would that be 'old new'? And yet, unlike the posts from many newer SLR owners I've read on photo.net, I've yet to experience a single malfunction or breakdown EVER with any of my 'old' Nikons. If solid build and workmanship is what 'old' means, give me more of it.

I have had 2 N70 and never noticed any shutterlag and the N90s and F100 make this camera seems like a toy. You post you have a career as a full time PJ or working professional with need of a tank-like camera but obviously, the F70 has served you well( considering these things resells now about barely over 100 euros). A F4 has been out of production for about 8-10yrs I believe but if are planning on driving nails with it as a hammer and a rather slow AF doesn't bother you, then by all means get one maybe that is the camera for you but the F100 is about $450usd now used and better than anything you will find in Europe or Mars for that price.

Jonas, don't go back in time to find good equipment. The best film cameras are being made now and the price on the used masket is too good to pass up. or you can buy some 15yr camera that life span is close to expiring. And if you didn't break your F70 , its a good chance you will not break anything less than with *tank-like* capabilities.

I think you won't dislike any of these cameras. I own a F90x, things I don't like about it:

1. No indication of metering system in viewfinder. You always have to look the LCD on the top to see if you're in matrix/centerweighted/spot.

2. No double-exposure capability w/o mf26, and that's quite complicated to set up, anyway.

I think the AF is fast enough, and anyhow the presence of other than a central sensor doesn't bother me. But that goes also with my shooting style, probably.

It's not a tank, but it's robust enough. It's also not too heavy. You can carry it all day around with a prime lense without destroying your shoulder or neck. But this depends from your use.

I would personally go for an F100 if I had to buy a camera now. The F90X is, anyhow, doing well enough for me.

I would suggest you to consider the weight issue if you plan to travel.

I went from an N-70 to an F-100. I think it's a perfect upgrade path. The F-100's interface is much easier to operate, and the camera feels more natural in the hand. You won't experience any missing functionality, and the F-100 is an outstanding camera in every respect. I have never had any problem with dust. Lack of mirror lockup is a minor annoyance, but I almost never feel the lack. The AF is much better than that on the N-70, but of course if you want the best you'll buy an F6. The F-100 is AT LEAST as rock-like as the F4.

I use mostly Leicas these days, but for SLR shooting it's the F-100 all the way. A truly outstanding camera, and one you certainly won't regret buying and will love using.