Upgrading from a N60

joy bhowmik

Hi

I am thinking of getting a second camera body. I have a N60QD. I

would like to know from forum participants what are their impressions

of the F100, N80 and D100. I have read the reviews on the web sites

but did not find anyone who has tried all these bodies. I am

particularly interested in some sort of price/performance metric(?)

Thanks

Joy

<a href="http://www.bythom.com/">Thom Hogan</a>.

<p>Not only is the N80 far less expensive than the other two, it's also seriously lighter.

<p>Price vs. performance would be an extremely difficult call even between the two film cameras let alone adding the digital. Even though most of the F100's features are similar or identical to the N80's, if you need it's faster flash sync or more rugged construction or whatever, then there's nothing for it but to pay the extra dollars. Digital introduces the whole complexity of cost of film and scanner over time vs. paying more up-front.

<p>All that said, I own an N80. It's a real sweetheart for existing light photography. About the only complaint I have is the dimness of the finder in poor light - and there's always going to be <b>something</b>.

I have the N60 and N80. In what sorts of situations do you feel the N60 is inadequate? With the N80 you get more precise AF, metering, flash exposure compensation with any TTL flash, and DOF preview. With the F100, you get all that plus 1/250 flash synch, but flash exposure compensation must be on the flash itself, which means even more money. "Price/performance metric"--that's not a photographic term I'm familiar with. Is that something like "bang for the buck"? The N80 wins hands down. What flash do you have, or plan to get? What lens(es) do you have, or plan to get? If you just have buy-itis, get the N80. The MB-16 is nice, too.

Thanks all for your answers. Based on your replies, I have bought a N80QD. I am very satisfied with the camera body. As a bonus, it also controls my flash (Sunpak) as a dedicated flash. I have shot a roll of ISO100 film with my new camera. I am very happy with the new features such as on-demand grid lines (which guides better composition) and the configurable metering (spot and center weighted). This is not available on N60QD. I took some portrait pictures of my wife with a 200mm Zoom Nikkor on ISO800 film. The spot metering made for a better picture.

Again thanks for all your helpful suggestions.