Upgrading from a µ4/3 camera to the NX20 ?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by rdm, Nov 12, 2012.

1. rdm

rdm

I am thinking of upgrading from my µ4/3 camera to the NX20 . I currently have a Panasonic G1. For years I have loved using it. I mostly use adapted manual lenses with it, as i have many Minolta Rokkor and Canon FD lenses, and until this camera came I had no Digital cameras on which they could be used without a glassless adapter, save the 4/3 E-volts which were hard to manually focus..
    I believe the Samsung NX20 is the best upgrade choice now, since it has a larger sensor and pretty much all the same features I have been use to. The built in VF with available hotshot and a fully articulating screen are things I don't think I can live without now.I really have nothing invested in the way of µ4/3 mount lenses.
    My hesitation in upgrading is that I have not found many things written from people that use the NX and almost nothing regarding using adapted lenses. I had considered the E-M5, but the NX 20 has the larger sensor, higher MP count, Better High ISO, a fully articulating screen, popup flash and pretty much the same form as my G1 plus it is a few hundred cheaper currently.
    Does anyone have any Opinions they wish to share with me that might help me make up my mind?

2. While the Samsung is nice, especially at their price point, but is it have peaking? I think it's worth a couple hundred bucks for this feature when one's adapting legacy lenses.

3. How about a Sony NEX-7?
    I'm no user of any of these cameras - I did look at the Samsung because in Europe its prime lenses are priced very nicely, making the overall price as a system very doable. To me, seems a very solid choice, but somehow I keep more doubts with the commitment of Samsung. To me, Sony seems far more dedicated in making their photographic business a success.

4. rdm

rdm

Well Leslie, I do understand that Peaking is a nice feature from what I read, but my G1 (and most other µ4/3 body I know of) does not have it ether and I have gotten along Fine with out it all these years. I have no problems focusing with the magnified view in the VF.
    Wouter, I did consider the Sony NEX-7, but it's priced much Higher, does not have a fully articulating screen, and I would need a flash shoe adapter for my remotes and flashes. The Nex-6 seem to be a contender however I would still miss the fully articulating screen.

5. ... but the NX 20 has the larger sensor, higher MP count, Better High ISO​
    The Samsung's sensors have not done any better than those in m4/3 cameras in terms of high ISO noise in the past, and the new sensor in E-M5, which appears to be made by Sony, is substantially better than those made by Panasonic. Where did you learn that the NX20's sensor is actually better than the one in E-M5?

6. How long are the lenses you use? I ask because there is an advantage to the Oly E-M5 that's lacking in the Sammy NX20: IBIS.
    IBIS may or may not help you get sharper shots by stabilising the sensor, but it's a great help with longer lenses (50mm and above, I'd say) because it stabilises the view through the EVF, which helps immensely with manual focusing. Even if you're using native lenses and AF, it's still very nice to have a stabilised view in the EVF.
    Just something else to think about :)

7. peaking and ibis are big pluses for me but if you don't care for these, the samsung sings quite well...

8. The Samsung's sensors have not done any better than those in m4/3 cameras in terms of high ISO noise in the past, and the new sensor in E-M5, which appears to be made by Sony, is substantially better than those made by Panasonic. Where did you learn that the NX20's sensor is actually better than the one in E-M5?​
    +1. Samsung sensors seemed to improve at the same speed at which Panasonic sensors did.
    dxomark has not reviewed any of the recent Samsung cameras but their last review of one showed no significant improvement compared to the version they provided to Pentax for their K20D and K-7 DSLRs. See here and here - NX11 had a modest improvement over the K-7 but still did not exceed the performance of the earlier K20D sensor, much less get close to the E-M5 performance.
    I was hoping that Samsung would step up their game this year, but they have not introduced anything new at photokina, so I am not sure what their plans for the NX system are. They seem to be more interested in making smart cameras at the moment.
    If you have old 35mm lenses, why not wait? I expect that in 1-2 years we will see the first FF MILC system.

9. I would say you are downgrading by going to APS-C ... however :)

10. rdm

rdm

OK I will stick to µ4/3 system and wait for somoen to come out with a FF MILC ..
    In the mean time, for my upgrade, I picked up a new GH-2 for $499
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input.
    I was really hoping some company would make a mirror less system with an APS-H size sensor. FF would be ok as long as i can chose different aspect ratios including 1:1 and there is an ETC mode.

11. Yes, Samsung NX20 has focus peaking.
    It also offers two other focus modes, that are great for adapted lenses: a 3x and a 5x on screen that allows you to really see when focus is at it's sharpest -- better even than focus peaking.

If you guys take a look on imaging-resource.com they have some test lab shots from the Samsung NX20. The same lab test image has also been done with the Olympus omdem5. The samsung comes out on top, way on top. There are fine details in corners (salt shaker, white cloth, gauge wheel) that are crustal clear on the samsung image, and with which the best of the 4/3 struggles with a little bit.
    I purchased a NX1000 at a time when I found the NX20 too expensive, then got an NX20 after all. BOTH work really good with a lens adapter - the entire series from Samsung interchangeable lens cameras has focus peaking and the magnification focus aid. I use a Minolta 50mm f1.4 lens with it, via a $20 adapter from ebay. The NX1000 20MP 8fps is going up for sale, should anyone be interested, it'll be listed in the for sale section. If anyone wants to know what adapter works best, just shoot me a message - I had one reimbursed that didn't push in the lens detect pin far enough, bought a different model that works great.

12. Timmi, I have not found any confirmation that the NX20 has focus peaking. The new NX300 does have it, so it's probable that a firmware upgrade for the NX20 can add this capability.
    The most recent firmware for the NX20 is v.1.13 issued on Dec 26, 2012, but the release notes don't mention focus peaking. Any chance you can post a video of your NX20 showing focus peaking at work?