Upgrade

MarieH

<p>I want an upgrade to my K5 I'm ok with the 16 megapixels, but I want a better autofocus. K5IIs or K3 or K3II Or is the K70 a better upgrade to my K5? I shoot mostly street and around home, vacation that sort of thing. Weight is a factor. Thanks for any suggestion.</p>
  • Henri Matisse. “Creativity takes courage”

I shot with a K5 for many years, and

my best friend had a K5II. I noticed

very little difference between these two

cameras, especially on autofocus.

I bought a K-S2 which would be close

in performance to the K70. Again, not

an autofocus upgrade. I switched so I

could have an articulating LCD and to

get higher resolution on a sensor

without AA filter.

To get the upgrade you are looking for,

I think the K3II would be the best

choice.

<p>Cheers Yury, I think I get it, the larger pixel means better resolution. Maybe I should wait for the next offering for improved focus? But I think the K4 might do.</p>

<p>I bought the K3 over the K3-II because I wasn't interested in the built in GPS and because it was $100 cheaper at the time. Also, the pixel shift wouldn't do me any good because I do most of my work with studio flash. Other than that, I don't recall any big advances over the K3, which is still available new.</p>

<p>I found the K-5IIs to have a more responsive, accurate AF which functions better with a greater number of my lenses than my K-5. But now a new K-5IIs may be difficult to find, since it has been discontinued for a while. The K-3 might have a yet slightly improved AF, but I have not seen this confirmed by those having both.</p>

<p>I will be looking to get a new K-70 myself, mainly because it's high ISO low, noise performance has been shown as outstanding. Easily better than the K-3 and even noticeably better than any K-5 model, which were very good. I also like its small size. I have read both the KS2 and new K-70 have updated, stronger AF motors than previous Pentax models in this camera class. The K-70 is also compatible with the new Pentax AF PLM lens motor now being introduced in the latest Pentax lenses, namely the newest 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 PLM WR, which is supposed to be much faster and more accurate. But I will not be giving up my K-5IIs, because I like its pro style control set along with its fine performance.</p>

<p>I have and like both the K3 and K5iis. I'd say the K5iis is a tad sharper, but I really like that I can swich on and off the anti asing (?) filter on the K3. I've had a few really bad images on the K5iis because of the lack of the filter, but generally since I shoot natit is not an issue.</p>

<p>Fortunately, I've not yet experienced noticeable moire from not having the filter (knocking on wood)! The K-70 also has the switchable filter, like the K-3. It has the articulating rear LCD screen for shooting live view from odd angles, is wifi capable, as well as having the new pixel-shift ultra resolution feature, and GPS can be added with an accessory at a modest extra cost. It is then also capable for astro photography.</p>

<p>In-depth reviews are still to come for the K-70, which should materialize within the next few months, I would think.</p>

<p>Another thing to keep in mind is the lenses used with a particular camera model. I had a couple of lenses I noticed did not AF as surely with my K-5 as they had with previous models! They were just fine with the K-5IIs. The K2S seems to do well also. Some lenses, however, are inherently faster and/or more accurate auto-focussing than others regardless of the camera. You do not mention which lenses you will be using. Also, do not expect the super-quiet shutter with the K-70 that is characteristic of the K-5 models, or K-3. </p>

<p>My impression is there have been some improvements in AF, but Pentax is not known for especially fast AF, though it is generally accurate when used properly with the half-press or AF button. This should not be an issue for the shooting uses you indicate.</p>

<p>One other thing- if you do decide for the K-70, it is advisable to also get an extra battery. The more compact Pentax DSLR models use a smaller battery than the K-5, K-3 class, which do not last near as long. So keeping a charged up spare on hand when you are doing more extended shooting is a good idea. </p>

<p>I have a K-5II and have had the opportunity to compare my HD DA Limited's and DF A 100 Macro WR on a friend's K-3II during indoor shooting in an arena. The AF on the K-5II was a big leap from my previous K-100 D Super. The AF with the K-3II was a very noticeable improvement over the K-5II. The Ltd pancakes are blazing fast on a my K-5II so I was quite surprised. As a result I will be searching for Black Friday, Cyber Monday or Boxing Day deals on a K-3II.</p>

<p>I was thinking K5IIs because its an improvement and in most points satisfies what I am looking for, but hard to find. Now I think I'll wait until the K70 reviews come in. Its all been good reading thanks!</p>

<p>Well Marie H, the <strong>review</strong> from DPR is in, sooner perhaps than expected... A <em>mixed bag</em> of sorts, with no more than a '79' rating. <br>

Eager to get one as I may have been, I will pass for the time being. Just not what I had hoped for. Especially not with that <em>under par</em> kit lens.<br>

Too bad.</p>

<p>Good for: Landscape photographers, available light shooters, current Pentax owners looking for an affordable second body I think I would be fine with it. It has good low light performance and I think its a step up from the k5 at a great price point. I may bite the bullet...in the New Year depending on my stock performance lol. Go Trump...</p>

<p>I have located two other full reviews. One by Imaging Resource, in which the K-70 made their best "Dave's Pick" category. Their only real quibble is the problematical wifi performance, which can be substituted by using a wife enabled SD card. If the kit lens is the DA 18-135mm, I've already had that for quite some time and have found it to be quite good for a super-zoom, especially between 18-70mm, but still good enough at the long end. I haven't yet installed a Photoshop Elements on this computer so I cannot yet reduce size to post sample shots. But they really should test a new camera with a company's top premium lenses.</p>

<p>Imaging Resource also offers their "comparometer" with which identical images taken with different cameras can be compared (jpegs out of the camera, standard settings). I believe a quality 50mm prime lens is used. An extra click on the image brings it to full blowup. The still life image with the bottles, etc. is especially revealing for noise in shadows and preservation of resolution at higher ISO settings. For other than current models, you must first click on "all cameras" at the top of the column.</p>

<p>The other test review is by "Pentax Forum" website. Both reviews reveal exceptional low light noise performance and resolution at higher ISO. I take the advice to turn sharpening all the way down when using high resolution primes with a grain of salt. I keep my cameras on the "fine" sharpness setting with very good outcome. That solved the over-sharpening tendency of the K-200D. If sharpness then proves to be excessive, it could be backed off a notch or so as needed. If shooting RAW files, sharpening can be applied in post process anyway.</p>

<p>I agree that the K-70 is exceptional, especially for the price! I am dragging my feet, thinking any firmware updates or little quirks will be ironed out after a few months. I also think it would be outstanding in the role of alternate body to the K-5. I am still keeping my K-5IIs for its pro-style control set , and pro quality build, including top LCD, especially when these features are desirable for quick access to making fast changes with less need for going to menus. Either model can be fine as backup to the other!</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>On Camera Decision web page k70 came out just slightly ahead of k3II using dxo mark algorithms. I don't think I would miss the top panel. But the tilt out lcd is a nice add. I'm still unsure lol.</p>

• 2 weeks later...