Upgrade from Nikon D80

avi_r1

<p>Hi guys... i am looking to upgrade from Nikon D80/18-70 kit. Can you please let suggest what camera and lens should go for. I have ~£2000 saved to spend on my upgrade. I am going to trade in my existing kit i.e. D80 with 18-70 lens.</p>

<p>I currently own:<br>

Nikon D80<br>

18-70mm <br>

50 1.8<br>

Nikon SB700</p>

<p>I am totally confused between D7100 and D600. I have saved £2000 to spend on body and a new lens.<br>

D7100 is available for £900 and D600 is available for ~£1250.<br>

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. </p>

<p>First of all, can you explain what is insufficient on your D80 such that you need to upgrade your camera?</p>

<p>Once people understand why you need to upgrade and what your photography interests are, it will help you narrow down your choices. So please also tell us what type of subjects you are interested in photographing.</p>

<p>IF you prefer a larger viewfinder and or need exceptional high ISO performance, then the D600 (full frame FX) is the obvious choice. But you will need a new standard zoom lens as well as your lens is a DX lens.</p>

<p>If you prefer superior AF and don't mind the DX viewfinder, the D7100 may be a better choice, save you some money and you would be able to use your 18-70mm lens with it.</p>

<p>Either way, you will end up with a body far superior to the D8o. </p>

<p>The main problem with D80 is that it keeps on dying every now and then. Secondly it has taken its toll and now starting to fall apart. I am planning to trade in D80 along with 18-70 lens. Mainly i photograph parties and weddings apart from that personally i photograph kids and my family outings.</p>

<p>The "full-frame vs DX camera body" is a neverending debate, and there is no correct answer. Chances are though, for 99.9999% of the times that someone has asked whether they need the cheaper option or the more expensive one, then they need the cheaper option, or even one step down. So really, consider the D5200 and save your money, as long as you can live with the reduced controls of the D5200 compared to the D7100. As far as lenses, if you're happy with your 18-70mm, then keep it and use it on the D5100 or D7100. Put the rest of the money back in your pocket, or use it to buy yourself more lenses that you will find useful. If your 50mm is not the newer version that has AF-S written on it, then upgrade that lens.</p>

<p>Either camera will work. I photo weddings with the D7100, and formal portraits as well. I stayed with the D7100 because it is less money tied up in a camera which let me put more money into lenses, which I consider to be more important. For weddings, I find the Nikons 17-55mm f2.8 & 70-200mm f2.8 VR indispensable. I can shoot up to ISO 2000 with the D7100 although I find I very rarely need to go that high. I stayed around ISO 800 with the D80. Of the three cameras D80, D600, D7100, the D7100 clearly has the best autofocus and can focus in lower light.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>As an upgrade from the D80 you are clearly on the right track with your sort of budget. Yes this is the FX vs. DX debate. I could list off some of the pros and cons of each system but you already know them. This is a personal choice that only you can make. In my mind, given what you have said and what equipment you already have, the D7100 body only seems a natural fit. </p>

<p>Unless you have an overwhelming need for the D600's larger sensor, get the D7100. It is far better than the D80 in every way except that it is heavier. I very much disagree with the suggestion of the D5200, a fine camera, but one which which has clumsier controls than the ones you are accustomed to using on the D80.</p>

<p>I'd prefer the D7100 with lots of money to spend on good lenses (even though the 18-70 is a really sweet lens, and it's not easy to find an equally good lens for that little money) over a D600 and a tight budget for lenses. Now, your budget is generous enough either way, but FX lenses are going to cost more too, in general.The only reasons for which I'd get the D600 over a D7100 would be the larger viewfinder, in case you frequently use manual focus, or for less DoF with ultra-fast lenses (f/2.8 being medium-fast in this definition).</p>

<p>For the kind of uses you indicate, I'd really go for the D7100, or even maybe a D7000 and save another few dollars. Combine with a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8OS or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, add the 35mm f/1.8 and get the 50mm f/1.8G or 85 f/1.8G for portraits, and you'll have a very nice versatile bag full of goodies.<br>

As alternative, the D600 with Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and a 85 f/1.8G isn't bad an option either, but you'll have less reach than you have today, so if you find yourself frequently using the 70mm end of your 18-70, then something like the 70-200 f/4VR comes into play, and suddenly your budget will be insufficient...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The "full-frame vs DX camera body" is a neverending debate, and there is no correct answer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually there is a very simple answer: I shoot with both formats, as I also use medium format back in the film era. Currently I have two FX bodies and many DX bodies.</p>

<p>I do agree that if someone is not sure, the less expensive one is the answer. The D5200 is not a bad suggestion, but only the OP can decide whether he likes its size and controls. Otherwise, I am very happy with the D7100. That would be a huge upgrade from the D80.</p>

<p>Another option is the slightly older D7000, which is cheaper and is still available new.</p>

<p>thanks a ton everyone for your response. I dont think i will consider D32/5200 as it lacks in body focusing motor and lesser controls. I am more inclining towards D7100 after reading the comments however only thing that bothers me investing in DX lenes incase i upgrade to FX later as changing lenses is far more difficult then bodies i think. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>only thing that bothers me investing in DX lenes incase i upgrade to FX later as changing lenses is far more difficult then bodies i think.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This idea comes up often, and as always, I can only seriously say: get DX lenses for a DX camera, certainly on the short end. Something like a (FX) 24-85 on a DX camera lack real wide angle, and you will find yourself changing lenses very often, or you need something like the (FX) 18-35, which lacks the long end range.... and all along, a 17-50 (which solves both those problems) is available cheaper, and it is f/2.8, and smaller... Get the right lenses to suit the format you use and don't compromise because maybe some day you might maybe, possibly, some day, switch formats.<br /> Not to mention the difference between a $200 35 f/1.8 which is optically fine versus a $350 35 f/2 which is optically "mwah".... </p>

<p>So, get what suits your needs today. If, when, once you really do decide to go to FX, then see which lenses you need. And for what it's worth, changing lenses came very easy for me: no problems selling my DX lenses, relatively little problems finding FX replacements. It is no big issue at all in my experience.</p>

<p>Avi:</p>

<p>I have both DX and FX lenses and both work very well on my d7100. When I buy new lenses now I tend to buy FX primes in case I do make a switch to an FX body in the future. Doing that you can work with both systems down the road. I recently purchased the Nikon 28mm. 1.8G which is brilliant on the d7100. Good luck.</p>

<p>-O</p>

<p>Whatever you'll pick between D7100 and D600 will work well for you. You need to remember that a camera is a tool and the best thing for you is to go personally in a shop in order to handle both bodies to see which one work better for you. If you'll find D600 a better option I'd suggest to pair it with the new Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC and you'll be settled. With D7100 I'd be tempted to go for the new Sigma 18-35/1.8 paired with Nikon 85/1.8 G alongside your 50/1.8. I just read a review of Sigma 18-35/1.8 and it seems to be a great lens for events photographers. Also Sigma 18-35/1.8 could be paired with the inexpensive Tamron 28-75/2.8 for a very convenient range on DX.</p>

<p>I have been a proponent for years of not upgrading from DX unless you absolutely know that you must... I am shifting my thinking on this. Based on your economic situation, I'd keep the SB 700, get rid of the D80/18-70 and get a D600 with the 24-85 "kit" zoom.</p>

<p>Get the D7100. It's a higher speced camera overall with better performance. Yes the sensor is smaller but it is still extraordinary. If you want full frame get the D800. It is better to get the best of DX rather than the worst of full frame. Quality over quantity is my credo.</p>

<p>I personally would not bother to trade in a half broken dying every now and then D80. It won't likely get you very much so would be more useful as an extra body. I would also consider how you use your lenses. If you shoot a lot at the long end of your 18-70 quite a lot while shooting portraits then you may find full frame quite frustrating swapping lenses. Mine own experience is that a 28-75 2.8 works well as a portrait lens on a DX body. It covers all the focal lengths that I need for portraiture. On FX full frame the 28-75 comes up too short for me for a tighter shot so I need to switch to a 105 f2.5. I'd rather a 35-105 f2.8 zoom and avoid swapping lenses but I'm not sure there even is one.</p>

<p>Avi, the lack of an in-body motor is not as big of a deal as perhaps others have led you to believe. All of the best lenses today are AF-S anyway, and if you go look at the people with limitless budgets using a D7100, D800, or D4, you will have to search very hard to find a lens that is not AF-S. Basically, there aren't really any non-AFS lenses that you want today. The lack of controls is a valid concern, but only if you really use those controls. I have found that many people that I've talked to that have chosen a better camera over a lesser one almost never use those controls. Do you really shoot in manual often enough to need two control dials. Are you often/always using the DOF preview? If you sit down and really map out which buttons you press, I think you'll find yourself surprised. Don't get me wrong, there are MANY things I miss when I use my D3100 instead of my D200, but being honest with myself, I don't use quite as many buttons and switches as I told myself that I did when I talked myself into the D200.</p>

<p>And Stuart, there is the 24-120mm f/4, which given the crop factor, shooting at f/4 on full frame will give you the same results as shooting at f/2.8 on a DX camera, i.e. 75mm on a D7100 at f/2.8 will give you GREATER depth of field than the full frame analogue, such as a D600 at 110mm and f/4.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm thinking about upgrading my D80 as well ;p<br>

I like street and travel photography and am sometimes stumped by the D80's low light inabilities.<br>

My lenses are Nikon 18-200 VR, Nikon 24mm 2.8 and Nikon 50MM 1.8.<br>

So, I've been thinking about a new camera. I've got a few options in mind;<br>

Keep using the D80 and buy a Ricoh GR as a low light back up;<br />D7100 and use the D80 as a backup (with the zoom);<br />Fuji XE-1 with the 35mm 1.4 and use the D80 as a backup (zoom, again)<br>

I'd like to think about a full frame - but I really can't afford it.<br>

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Spencer.</p>

<p> </p>