Upgrade from D 60

Sandy Vongries

Several years ago, when I got the DF, I passed along the D 60 and kit lenses to one of my adult children, who has recently become much more interested in photography (again). I'm thinking of giving a modest camera upgrade as a birthday gift, used or refurb in the range of $200 give or take a little. I haven't spent any time reviewing DX cameras except at the top end, so suggestions will be appreciated. My intent is not to try and bring things entirely up to date, but to make a significant capability improvement. Thanks in advance!

A quick look on KEH suggests a D300 or D3200 (depending on whether you want better handling or a better sensor) are in range. Those are probably beaters, but they'll probably work. The D300 gives very good compatibility for lenses (except AF-P), if cheap AI lenses are of interest, and it'll have a better finder and general handling if the size isn't an issue, but obviously a 12MP sensor is a few generations back and not much of a step up from the D60 (though the AF is still not far from Nikon's best). The D3200 is what I'd consider the base of the samey 24MP sensors, but you're stuck with a single dial, no AF motor or aperture ring (like the D60), no 14-bit raw, etc. - it'll take better pictures, but be less flexible.

Splitting the difference would be something like the D7000, but KEH's prices for those start at $299, which I guess is pushing your budget.

Going lower than that (say a D90 or D3100) would probably get you a body in better condition, but compromises things quite a bit. Anything new looks to cost a bit more.

Disclaimer: I'm an FX shooter too, I just read reviews. So I'm quite likely missing something. But I hope that helps.

• Like 1

I've had the D300S and D90.

Happily sold the D300S and kept the D90.

The memory "banks" concepts and usability on the 300 made me crazy.

Picture quality is identical between the two.

Clearly the D300 is built better and has better weather sealing...

Not enough to change the decision for me.

• Like 1

The D60 is the only Nikon DSLR with a CCD sensor that also has sensor cleaning - surpassing even the D200. Which, incidentally, would qualify as a modest camera upgrade (same sensor but faster readout, different controls, meters with non-CPU lenses). I omit the D80 as a rather insignificant step up from the D60 - same sensor, different controls. The D300 is certainly a step up from the D200. The D90 has the same sensor as the D300 but obviously not the same built and is lacking the capability to meter with non-CPU lenses; the D200 and D90 share the same AF module, the D300 uses the still current (but updated) AF module found in the D7100/D7200/D7500. Another option would be a D5000 - same sensor as D90/D300/D300S, same form factor as D60 but adds variable angle LCD. As Andrew pointed out, stretching the budget a little could get a D7000 - 16MP but a lesser AF system than the D300. Or a D5200 - now we have entered 24MP territory.

In general: D3x00 and D5x00 don't have pentaprisms; D5x00 add variable angle LCD onto D3x00 body-style. D80, D90, and there D7x00 successors have pentaprisms and two dials. D200/D300/D300S add external controls and meter with non-CPU lenses. As do the D7x00 with the exception of the current D7500.

• Like 1

As the owner of both a D3200 and a D7100, I'd add that although the D3200 has a very good sensor and is a pretty competent camera in general in terms of features, it's pretty bare. The only real issue I've had with mine is that with fairly heavy use the print has worn off many of the buttons. It's performed well, though, for several years and 44 thousand or so shots. The D7x00 has a much better feature set, and of course better AF, among other things, and a much better viewfinder. The AF on the D3200 is not bad, but that on the D7100 is much better.

The D3200 does have the advantage of taking E aperture lenses, but it cannot take the newer P lenses, so if you are looking for something that can handle the latest round of lenses, you should go one up to the D3300. The D3300 has higher ISO capability and no AA filter, but otherwise is similar, while the D3400 loses some features, including the ability to meter with older AF lenses, one of the IR sensors, and the self-cleaning sensor.

• Like 1