Update query on Bronica RF645 v. Fuji GA645Zi

mark_satola1

I see the last posts regarding the toss-up between the Bronica RF645 and the Fuji

GA645Zi go back to about 2005. Now that these cameras are a bit older, can

anyone give me updates on their respective performance? I'm now in the market

for one or the other of these MF rangefinders, and am facing the dilemma so many

have faced in the past: which of these would be a better investment? I've noticed

people having trouble with film transport on the Bronica, and loose winds and

vignetting on the Fuji.

I'll be doing street-urban stuff with whichever one I get, if that helps. Any input you

can provide will be hugely appreciated!

Well, the loose winding on Fuji is not an issue if you use Fuji film with the little hole that hooks into the tab in the middle of the slot. Or, with other brands, you can just take a very small piece of tape and secure the film to the takeup spool after putting the end through the slot. I know you're probably not looking to open up the pros and cons again at this point, but I wanted to make sure you gleaned that conclusion from the myriad of posts on the topic.

I do own the Fuji, but I've never owned the Bronica and I'm a very low volume shooter, so I won't attempt any recommendation of one versus the other. I'll leave that to others who actually know both cameras.

I had the Fuji for a short while. I bought it used, and found out a bit late that the AF was

not functioning accurately. I did 'test' it before a trip to south america, but not stringently

enough, and i lost a few rolls of film and the associated photographic opportunities

because the results were soft. I sent the camera to Fuji, and they subsequently

calibrated it ラ it was fine after that.

But, that experience soured me on AF rangefinder cameras. You really cannot tell if

they are focusing exactly where you want them to. For that reason, i prefer the

Mamiya 6/7, and probably the Bronica. I've never used or even held the Bronica, but if i

had to make a choice between the two at this point, i'd try the Bronica. But, for your

purposes, 'street shooting,' perhaps the Fuji's AF makes more sense. But, be aware

that with both of these cameras, the 'normal' orientation gives you a vertical frame.

Most street photography is horizontal. If you want to shoot horizontals, you might lose

a bit of your 'stealth' if you're holding the camera in an unusual fashion.....

I didn't have any film tension problems with the Fuji, using non-Fuji films. I read about

the potential 'issue' and took the advice of making sure to keep tension on the spool

when feeding and winding it before closing the back. I never resorted to a piece of tape

or any other tricks.

I've not owned the Fuji with AF but have had other Fuji RF's and also own the Bronica RF645 system. The Bronica is a wonderful feeling machine, has great optics, the electronics/metering/fill flash work so well that I've become a bit lazy in worrying about over-controlling it. The Fuji glass has all been first rate and I don't know that I'd pick one over the other, simply on optical performance and I've only heard good things about the AF system's glass. The Bronica feels as if it would last forever while the Fujis don't convey that same sense of build quality. As mentioned above, I've heard mention of film transport issues on some Bronicas and mine has always had a very slight notchiness since new that hasn't changed.

I would pick one over the other simply on features that fit your needs. They likely would deliver very similar photographic results with maybe a slight advantage to the Bronica at larger print sizes simply from the likely concessions in the Fuji optics in favor of flexibility. You might want to buy both and know that you could re-sell the one that was less favored in actual use. I did that with a Mamiya 7 system but remain so undecided years later that I've retained both and keep rationalizing the decision! I love the Mamiya in the field and rely on the Bronica for people shots as the vertical format and quick focusing seem to favor this application over the Mamiya. For what it's worth, I've done careful comparisons, side by side of the Bronica and the Mamiya and would put the Bronica optics on par with the well-regarded Mamiya (I only have the 80 and 150 Mamiyas as of now). I need to be at 11X14 to just barely give the advantage to the Mamiya and its larger format.

I did buy both, though my GA645 is not the Zi but the Wi model, and I like the Bronica enough to get a pair of them (plus all three lenses, and never any transport problem).

The Zi is attractive but even with ISO 800 film I really need to use an f/4 lens wide open in typical daytime business interiors. So the Zi's lens is just too slow for my use. Even when the photos are mostly outdoors, I do a lot of people pictures and that inevitably brings me indoors too. The in-camera flash is not a good answer I think, and I don't want to deal with an off-camera unit.

The GA645Wi's 45mm f/4 focuses to 2.3ft and obviously has parallax compensated field-size adjusted viewfinder. Bronica lacks 45mm framelines, focuses to 3.3ft, but has interchangeable lenses and I prefer its ergonomics.

Get the one that fits your hand and eye and you like the feel... Everything else is just so much bird chatter in the background...

There is not a nickles worth of difference in lens quality and the chromes can be put up side by side on the light table and no one in this world can tell the difference...

denny

I own RF645 and have used it intensively many years ago (now turned to digital) and it's very handy and relatively small and quiet in operation. Images of the 3 lenses are very sharp and will not disappoint you. I will not prefer an auto-focus zoom rangefinder camera cause u never know the focusing point.