Update - Now upload high resolution photos for printing on photo.net!

G-P

<p>We have upgraded our uploader to allow for images in size up to 6000x6000. This will allow for larger canvas prints made available through CanvasPop. </p>

<p>For more information check out the updated FAQ section of the <a href="/photography-news-forum/00cLb4">"photo.net announces a new subscriber benefit - selling your photography!</a> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Lisa, as I understand it, the high-res image uploads go to a special cache file for PNet admin use. Images there are accessed and sent to CanvasPop when a print is ordered.</p>

<p>Right now, the question is, what is the file size limit on the high-res uploads, since we seem to be having a problem with that...</p>

<p>we're looking into why some area able to upload larger file sizes than others and expect to have an update soon. We tested and were able to repeatedly upload 6000x6000 file size up to 20MB. The API (connection between photo.net and CanvasPop) up to 100MB. William is correct in that the high res images are stored and used only in case when a print is purchased. The ability to sell photos is only for subscribers at this time.</p>

<p>I just tried another upload, got the same file size error:</p>

<p>5416 x 3744 pixels, Adobe RGB, 300 ppi, 8-bit JPEG, file size 13.7MB.</p>

<p>Basically the same as my first attempt, except that this time I lowered the file size by decreasing the JPEG IQ factor from 12 to 11 to get the file size reduction.</p>

<p>Okay, now that the high resolution upload problem has been resolved, I have a suggestion: Wouldn't it be more efficient to do the high res uploads <em>on demand</em> rather than in advance of any purchase orders? It seems to me that it would result in less impact on the PNet server, as well as on our time. A notice which says something like "larger sizes available on request" could be added to the "Buy Print" drop down menu. If such a request is submitted, PNet notifies the individual photographer, and the high res image is uploaded to meet the demand. This would also help to alleviate the concerns of those who are reluctant to upload high res images.</p>

<p>What say ye?</p>

<p>Any chance I'll ever find out what happened to the image (Photo ID - 17673202) I tried to replace or upload a high resolution version of this image for printing I asked about a week or so ago?</p>

<p>Originally asked in the "Photo.net announces a new subscriber benefit - selling your photograhy!"</p>

<p>The high resolution upload was unsuccessful as best I can tell. However, I no longer have the option to "Upload a high resolution version of this image for printing" under the photo's admin tab.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>@ Mike - I haven't done the math yet on what it costs/sq foot, however I will tell you that CanvasPop prices are the most competitive I've seen in the industry and payout to photographer at 80% of profit is unparalleled in the industry. Buying your own printer would not get you access to the seamless purchase process we have set up for buyers. In your scenario you assume a buyer would be willing to email you, wait for your response - then only to trade emails on other variables such as what sizes & prices shipping options you offer - our solution allows buyer to buy now - which I think you'd agree most buyers want these days. Bottom line is, the easier you make it for them the higher likelihood they will purchase. </p>

<p>William, a 24x36 unframed from CanvasPop is $126. That works out to $21/sq'. Now on my printer my costs (canvas + ink) are around $4/sq', and that's using the finest Hahnemuhle Monet archival canvas. Nor does CanvasPop mention what kind or brand of canvas they're using, whether it has optical brighteners or not or if it's considered archival, all of which can be important selling points to potential customers. </p>

<p>Now I certainly don't object to selling my work through photo.net, but I'd much rather print it myself and pocket the difference. I just wasn't sure if that option was available. </p>

<p>Mike, this is getting more interesting. In the "Purchase Your Own..." price window here, a 24X35 unframed print price is $59, which works out to $10.17/sq. ft. Are you maybe looking at the customer's price list? And, if you already have a large format printer, you're probably right about it being cheaper to print your own...</p>

<p>We aren't currently working on any programs designed for that functionality as 100% of that sales process would be out of our control. My suggestion would be to add a note to your bio page that you will sell prints to consumers directly and provide a link to your e-commerce store which will detail photos available, sizes, prices, shipping info & handles credit card transactions and tracks orders for you. You may need to hire an e-commerce expert you trust to help you get this set up & pay a monthly fee to host your online photography store which features only your work. Alternatively you could subscribe to photo.net and accomplish the same functionality here where your work will also get worldwide exposure of 3.6M visitors a month. </p>

<p>Gentlemen, i'm going to leave all of the photos in my port as is, because i don't want to lose comments. so from those now in my port, i'll choose the photos i want to sell, and then upload higher res versions of those to a separate folder in my port "For Purchase". i'm sorry i'm not understanding this bit about PN helping exhibit photos for sale in a public space. I'll upload to the "for sale" folder on my home page, but is there somewhere else we should be uploading for PN to exhibit our work for sale, like that one short page of photos they have now? Basically I'm asking if the photos i choose to sell will be posted somewhere separate on PN. My photos are technically ready for sale, I just don't where to upload them.</p>

<p>Donna, I don't know if this is the answer you're looking for, but:</p>

<p>There are three possible upload methods to PNet. All of my basic uploads are low res JPEG (800X800 pixels max), are bordered and "framed" and have a © signature in the lower left hand corner. These shots are all organized (well, sort of) in folders titled by subject matter.</p>

<p>Next, if I decide to put one of these shots up for sale, I go back to the original TIFF version and convert to a higher res JPEG image (1500X1500 pixels max) @ 300ppi, and upload that to a folder cleverly labeled, "For Sale".</p>

<p>Last, I go back again to the original TIFF image, convert it to a full-size, high res JPEG file (6000X6000 pixels max) in Adobe RGB, not sRGB, and upload that to the PNet cloud. The main advantage to this is that it allows CanvasPop to make larger prints. You don't have to do this step if you don't want or need the larger prints.</p>

<p>So, the bottom line is, you end up with at least two sets of images folders, both sets available to the public, and a possible third set in the PNet cloud for admin/CanvasPop use.</p>

<p>You should go through your folders and add tags to each shot to steer folks in that direction.</p>

<p>I hope this helps, and apologize if it doesn't...</p>